Josh Hamilton market update - 3 years $60-75 million

TradeAngelos

I was referring to building the young core, which we have done superbly. If there was someone available worth spending a fortune on to augment it, I would be all for it. But Josh Hamilton ain't that guy. Matt Holliday at age 30 with a clean bill of health might be but that type of player isn't available right now. The guy that is only played in 75.8% of the games during his age 26-31 seasons. And now he's going to be 32 and he's looking for 4 years or more at a salary that would represent 20% or more of our entire payroll.

Swisher.

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Swisher.

A lot peope here hate the guy, I don't. I don't think he's a huge upgrade at any particular position for us but I wouldn't be terribly upset if DD did a 180 and signed him to a 3 or 4 year deal. He's solid though- good power, good OBP. A nice side benefit of the move would be that it would essentially eliminate the possibility of trading Tillman for Billy "No Glove, No Legs" Butler.

um no I was telling the person I quoted that after we ask the mets how their spending went can we ask the giants, tigers, cards, rangers...not sure y u think i'd imply that those teams spent badly when u can clearly see the question marks

Please feel free to read the board rules regarding Capitalization and punctuation. Thanks. Happy Holidays.

He is the best available player out there and the O's should be a player on this, He would be a great addition if he wouldn't be then why would Davis and Hunter bother lobby for Him to be on their team and not just let him be? Don't you think they would want to win and right now the price is reasonable. He is a better option than the names being thrown around (Butler, trading for Ellsberry, trading Hardy moving Machado and signing Youk and others). Whenever you can get a major league hitter like this and still be relatively young You have to do it

I fully believe that the Orioles could operate comfortably with a payroll in the $110-120 million dollar range. But ol' Pete isn't going to sign off on that. It sucks but it is what it is. And it doesn't change the fact that paying $20-25 million a year for a guy that was only healthy enough to play in 75.8% of the games he was eligible for in his age 26-31 seasons is a terrible idea.

And that goes for any team.

How many of the games that he missed were because of plus 100 degree Texas heat?

You can't possibly be serious. Michael Young has played in 96.2% of the Rangers' regular season games over last the 11 years- 1715/1782.

In the Texas heat. At more physically demanding positions- 2B, SS, 3B.

And besides, Baltimore's no picnic...

Well now the world is right again. Of course the Yankees are interested in throwing another 100+ million dollars around.

I will say, Hamilton in NY has problems written all over it, and I'm not talking about on the field.

He is not going to play for the NYY. His agent and support would never back that move. He'll cave in to the Rangers with a major discount before he'd go to N.Y. I just hope D.D. is waiting a little bit longer for Moye and Hamilton to consider the Orioles who are as several national writers said and I have said... the perfect fit for him in more ways than one. Maybe some of the Oriole players who want him to come to the Orioles are still working on DD and have said don't pull the trigger on a trade for a hitter until JH makes his decision. I can't imagine DD would offer him less than 3 years with an option for a 4th at less than $20 million per year. I said a few weeks ago I would go as high as $21 mill per year for 5 years but now it appears the 5th year is not necessary. Will 4 years at $80 mill be enough to sign him? What did AM offer Teixeira a few years ago? Is Hamilton better than Teixeira? I say YES.

Actually, Matt Holliday would have been one out of 25 saviors who have been floated around here that would not have crippled the Orioles. He's been pretty good.
At the time, do you think he would have preferred to come here instead of St. Louis. How many 50 million more than he got would it have take for him to enjoy the teams we were producing?

Did you really just ask yourself a question?

He is not going to play for the NYY. His agent and support would never back that move. He'll cave in to the Rangers with a major discount before he'd go to N.Y. I just hope D.D. is waiting a little bit longer for Moye and Hamilton to consider the Orioles who are as several national writers said and I have said... the perfect fit for him in more ways than one. Maybe some of the Oriole players who want him to come to the Orioles are still working on DD and have said don't pull the trigger on a trade for a hitter until JH makes his decision. I can't imagine DD would offer him less than 3 years with an option for a 4th at less than $20 million per year. I said a few weeks ago I would go as high as $21 mill per year for 5 years but now it appears the 5th year is not necessary. Will 4 years at $80 mill be enough to sign him? What did AM offer Teixeira a few years ago? Is Hamilton better than Teixeira? I say YES.

Yep. He's an extremely gifted ball player. And let's be honest. If he was one of those rare players with zero question marks, hitting free agency after bashing 40-plus homers, with his lifetime OPS... he wouldn't even be a possibility for the Orioles. He would be way too expensive, and way too in-demand by more established teams, such as the Yankees, Angels, Rangers, Detroit, et al. My point is, if we're not going to sign a guy like Hamilton, we're not going to sign any top-tier FA bats - ever - under this regime. I firmly believe that. If DD proves me wrong, then great. I would be delighted to be wrong.

So for anyone getting all high and mighty and superior about Hamilton and his "issues"... I hope you like signings like Casilla. Because that's about what you're going to get... that or guys just a bit higher on the totem pole. But you won't get anyone with Hamilton's elite talent... because then they'll just be too expensive.

Archived