Josh Hamilton market update - 3 years $60-75 million

TradeAngelos

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would never wish injury to anyone. It is better when the

O's beat the Yankees when they are at full strength.

I don't wish injury on anyone, but under the circumstances that the Ravens just lost to 50 year old Batch, I go by the theory that a win is a win, and I don't give a rats testicle hair if they are at full strength or not!!!

Sorry, still bitter about last Sunday!:mad:

Bradysburns you might be right about them never going for a top name. I think DD and Buck will leave if Hamilton is available for $80 mill or less and we pass after rumors of him wanting $175 mill. He will put us over the top like Frank Robinson did in 66 if they sign him. Those who continue to rip him will change their tune if he signs here and rakes all summer as we get a 10 game lead in first in the AL East. They'll be cheering for him like everyone else. Are some of these people who are against him secretly transplanted Red Sox and NY fans who don't want to see us finish in first? Notice I said some of them....not all. I think if Michael Young is dealt to the Phillies this may change his thinking about staying in Teas as he is a very good friend of Young who is a class player. Are the Phillies who are also rumored to want Hamilton trying to get Young in a deal to make Hamilton give them more consideration?

New post 30 minutes ago. young will be dealt unless he turns it down to the Phillies. Greinke will sign with the Rangers because of ties there and his wife being a former Dallas Cheerleader.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20121208&content_id=40580524&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

The Upton deal may still happen and it doesn't look like Hamilton will fit there.

I'd rather pass, and any other rational fan that wants to win consistently, and not just NEXT YEAR, should want the Front Office to the same. And Thank God that they will.

Geez...elitist much? I guess there's no chance in the world that a rational person could ever disagree with you without being labeled "irrational." What a pompous thing to say...

And people wonder why they're in arguments all the time on here...grow up man.

It was intended

So... when do you intend to answer, errr, yourself? ;)

To be an add on to my premise that until now, a good free agent would not have really come to Baltimore. SO to talk about the one big deal that has not been awful, well. He would not have come to play for Dave Trembley, as nice a man as he is. He would have surcharged us 50 million to miss out on his World Series rings.

So it really as not asking all them question. Making Statements.

Geez...elitist much? I guess there's no chance in the world that a rational person could ever disagree with you without being labeled "irrational." What a pompous thing to say...

And people wonder why they're in arguments all the time on here...grow up man.

The facts are the facts, man. He missed roughly 25% of the games during his physical prime due to injury. Now he's heading into the years when his body would typically begin to break down and his performance should start to decline. And he's going to cost $20-25 million dollars a year, or 20-30% of our payroll, for the next 4 or 5 years. I have yet to see anyone provide evidence that would lead one to believe that he would be healthier and more productive in his age 32-35/36 seasons than he was in his age 26-31 seasons.

I'm not an elitist. I'm a realist.

The facts are the facts, man. He missed roughly 25% of the games during his physical prime due to injury. Now he's heading into the years when his body would typically begin to break down and his performance should start to decline. And he's going to cost $20-25 million dollars a year, or 20-30% of our payroll, for the next 4 or 5 years. I have yet to see anyone provide evidence that would lead one to believe that he would be healthier and more productive in his age 32-35/36 seasons than he was in his age 26-31 seasons.

HA HA. Good luck debating the Logic King ...... OrioleMagic79. Better stock up on the Motrin.

How did he perform in the 75% of games that he played in during those years? Because if I recall correctly, his stat lines were better than anyone on the Orioles roster in just about all of them...even though the Orioles players in some cases played in significantly more games...

Just sayin'...

I agree that you say there is a rate of decline but what rate of decline are we talking about? First of all, I dispute your numbers. Your talking about his 26-31 years but he played a partial season with Cincinnati his first year as a Rule 5 draftee and they didn't know what they had. Him not playing the full 162 was due to no fault of his own. Secondly, if you were to take out the one season when he missed a large bulk of the season due to injury in 2009 he averages 140. I know, I know why would you take out that one season right? Well don't, but even Markakis who was as reliable as they come was injured last year. Players get injured, it happens.

Hamilton moving to LF will cut down on the amount of ground he has to cover. Also, he started later than other players so he hasn't had the experience at his age that other player have . Namely finding out that crashing into walls takes a toll on your body and you don't have to kill yourself to be an effective defender. Having Jones to his left and playing LF full time would be much easier on him.

Our payroll is what we make it. We are a mid market team not a small one. DD saying we are in the bottom ten of payrolls is something I'll have to accept, but I won't like it. We were told that we would have the resources available to go after someone and that has changed once again. If Hamilton's market collapses to the point where it makes him available to us and we still don't get him then it's an opportunity missed.

Of course, knowing where the line is for him of acceptable risk is the question. Even at four years I don't think you see too far of a drop in production.

How did he perform in the 75% of games that he played in during those years? Because if I recall correctly, his stat lines were better than anyone on the Orioles roster in just about all of them...even though the Orioles players in some cases played in significantly more games...

Just sayin'...

The guy can hit, no doubt. But it doesn't make that big of a difference if he's missing 40-70 of 162 games due to injury.

Which he has done in 3 of his 6 MLB seasons. During his physical prime. Which generally ends at age 32. Which is the age he will be next year. When he's playing in the first year of his new 4 or 5 year, $100-120 million dollar contract.

Which, thankfully, he will be doing somewhere other than Baltimore.

I agree that you say there is a rate of decline but what rate of decline are we talking about? First of all, I dispute your numbers. Your talking about his 26-31 years but he played a partial season with Cincinnati his first year as a Rule 5 draftee and they didn't know what they had. Him not playing the full 162 was due to no fault of his own. Secondly, if you were to take out the one season when he missed a large bulk of the season due to injury in 2009 he averages 140. I know, I know why would you take out that one season right? Well don't, but even Markakis who was as reliable as they come was injured last year. Players get injured, it happens.

Hamilton moving to LF will cut down on the amount of ground he has to cover. Also, he started later than other players so he hasn't had the experience at his age that other player have . Namely finding out that crashing into walls takes a toll on your body and you don't have to kill yourself to be an effective defender. Having Jones to his left and playing LF full time would be much easier on him.

Our payroll is what we make it. We are a mid market team not a small one. DD saying we are in the bottom ten of payrolls is something I'll have to accept, but I won't like it. We were told that we would have the resources available to go after someone and that has changed once again. If Hamilton's market collapses to the point where it makes him available to us and we still don't get him then it's an opportunity missed.

Of course, knowing where the line is for him of acceptable risk is the question. Even at four years I don't think you see too far of a drop in production.

He was Rookie of the Month in April 2007 for CIN. Then he got injured in May, came back in June, and went back on the DL in July.

He would've played the whole year but he wasn't available.

When did DD say that?

Archived