PHD and other suspensions here ...Compared to in Japan

Roll Tide

Not really a Orioles thing unless you mention our latest culprit ...But I though this was interesting.

The Japan Student Baseball Association met on the 11th to determine punishments for eighteen cases.

Game Suspensions

Teikyo Dai-Go (Ehime) - smoking - three months beginning on October 29

Fukuoka Kaisei (Fukuoka) - card gambling - one month beginning on October 25

Kawanishi Meiho (Hyogo) - bullying within the club - three months beginning on September 28

Tohoku Seikatsu Bunka University (Miyagi) - stealing - three months beginning on October 19

Tohoku Kogyo University (Miyagi) - violence within the club, stealing - one year beginning on November 20

Tokyo Gakkan (Chiba) - smoking - six months beginning on October 12

Daisho Gakuen (Osaka) - violence within the club (rubber baseball team) - three months beginning on November 9

Osaka Sangyo University (Osaka) - violence within the club - three months beginning on November 21

Kamimura Gakuen (Kagoshima) - violence within the club - three months beginning on November 3

Minokamo (Gifu) - violence within the club - one month beginning on December 5

Miyazu (Kyoto) - blackmailing by a club member - three months beginning on August 28

Dismissals

Yuhigaoka (Osaka) manager - possession of marijuana

Suspensions

Hiryu (Shizuoka) vice director - violence within the club - one month beginning on October 23

Hiryu (Shizuoka) director - delayed report on violence within the club - one year beginning on October 23

Teikyo Dai-San (Yamanashi) director - delayed report on violence within the club - one year beginning on August 1

Seiko Gakuen (Tokushima) director - violence within the club - one month beginning on November 2

Fukui umpire - violent incident involving player - one year beginning on November 14

Hakusan (Mie) director/manager - delayed report on violence within the club - three months beginning on November 27

Don't think too many MLB players have to worry about being suspended for having PHD's.

Question for Drungo: have there ever been any major leaguers with a PhD? Or former baseball players who got one later, a la Dr. Brian May?

I know about Moe Berg, who graduated Princeton magna cum laude and got a law degree from Columbia.

Question for Drungo: have there ever been any major leaguers with a PhD? Or former baseball players who got one later, a la Dr. Brian May?

I know about Moe Berg, who graduated Princeton magna cum laude and got a law degree from Columbia.

Drungo might be able to answer this better, but I wasn't able to find any cases of a current player with a PhD although there have been several players who have gone on to complete higher education

Rich Nye (PhD in Veterinary Science)

Bobby Brown (Medical Degree from Tulane)

Tom House (PhD in Sports Psychology from the U.S. International University)

Tony LaRussa (J.D. from FSU)

Apparently it's fairly rare that a major leaguer obtains a four-year degree. In 2012, of the 917 players that apperared in at least one game, only 39 had a college degree.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/curtis-granderson-college-grads-in-baseball-a-rare-breed-051712

Best I could find:

Despite the rather idiotic comment made by the bonehead above, there have been ballplayers with degrees.

And probably even some fairly casual fans known of Dr. Bobby Brown, who was the President of the American League for ten years before that position was abolished in 1994. He also served as the President of the Texas Rangers in the early 1980's, and had an eight year career with the Yankees WHILE he was getting his MD.

Another is former relief pitcher Tom House (probably best known for catching Hank Aaron's 715th homer) who is now a renown pitching instructor. He holds a PhD in psychology with a focus in sports psychology.

Yet another is former pitcher Rich Nye, who retired from the game in 1970 and became a veterinarian. He also holds a doctorate.(he is considered to be one of the foremost avian vets in the world and is well respected for his work with more exotic animals.)

And perhaps the best known of more recent times is Tony LaRussa, who received his J.D from the Florida State University of law in 1974 while still an active player in the minors(but after his MLB career ended) and who was admitted to the Florida Bar.

I''m sure there are many more - probably rare to happen while a player is still active due to the time commitments, but given that a good number of players have at least some college (and also that a player going to a 4 year school has to stay at least 3 years before being drafted) I would say the number will increase.

Best I could find:

Despite the rather idiotic comment made by the bonehead above, there have been ballplayers with degrees.

And probably even some fairly casual fans known of Dr. Bobby Brown, who was the President of the American League for ten years before that position was abolished in 1994. He also served as the President of the Texas Rangers in the early 1980's, and had an eight year career with the Yankees WHILE he was getting his MD.

Another is former relief pitcher Tom House (probably best known for catching Hank Aaron's 715th homer) who is now a renown pitching instructor. He holds a PhD in psychology with a focus in sports psychology.

Yet another is former pitcher Rich Nye, who retired from the game in 1970 and became a veterinarian. He also holds a doctorate.(he is considered to be one of the foremost avian vets in the world and is well respected for his work with more exotic animals.)

And perhaps the best known of more recent times is Tony LaRussa, who received his J.D from the Florida State University of law in 1974 while still an active player in the minors(but after his MLB career ended) and who was admitted to the Florida Bar.

I''m sure there are many more - probably rare to happen while a player is still active due to the time commitments, but given that a good number of players have at least some college (and also that a player going to a 4 year school has to stay at least 3 years before being drafted) I would say the number will increase.

You might want to clarify that this is all a quote and you aren't referring to the poster above you as a bonehead. I was about to neg-rep.

You might want to clarify that this is all a quote and you aren't referring to the poster above you as a bonehead. I was about to neg-rep.
If you can't figure this out for your self, by all means neg rep me, I think the whole idea of neg rep is juvenile at best, and it probabaly fits you.

Mike Marshall is a doctor of kinesiology.

What I find interesting about Berg is that he did almost nothing with his degrees. He was a spy of sorts in WWII, but besides that he seemed to get by in life by getting people to give him backup catching jobs, room, and board for being The Worlds Smartest Ballplayer, and a good storyteller.

Archived