Is A Deal For Billy Butler Still Possible?

section18

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm glad you took the time to share those meaningless stats with me about baserunning. I can sleep better now knowing that. Thank you.

Um, they're actually kind of important because they reveal a major flaw in his game- He's one of the slowest runners in all of baseball, and he really clogs up the basepaths.

If the Royals were still shopping Butler (I don't believe they are) the reality of the situation is that they would want Bundy in return. And rightfully so. No GM in his right mind would trade a young, proven MLer for anything less.

I've said this all along, but the player the Os should have been targeting is Hosmer. They might have been able to land him for less than Bundy and his upside is quite a bit higher than a Smoak type.

If the Royals were still shopping Butler (I don't believe they are) the reality of the situation is that they would want Bundy in return. And rightfully so. No GM in his right mind would trade a young, proven MLer for anything less.

I've said this all along, but the player the Os should have been targeting is Hosmer. They might have been able to land him for less than Bundy and his upside is quite a bit higher than a Smoak type.

Sigh...

It is not a matter of talent for talent.

Butler is making 8.5 million a year, Tillman is making 500K. Tillman is also under team control for a longer period of time.

This isn't the 50's when the reserve clause was keeping salaries low and teams controlled their players for as long as they wanted them.

I'm glad you took the time to share those meaningless stats with me about baserunning. I can sleep better now knowing that. Thank you.

You're welcome.

Meanwhile, I'm glad you took the time to let me know you belong on my ignore list. Merry Christmas!

Butler is worse than his batting line alone indicates because he can't run or play defense; most of his production can be replicated by a platoon of Wigginton/Pearce or Wigginton/Valencia at a tiny fraction of the cost, and without sacrificing roster flexibility due to aforementioned defense issue; and for the privilege of spending some $15M on a small upgrade we'd have to give up (in this scenario) Tillman, Reimold, AND a prospect?

No, no, a thousand times no. Not even for Tillman alone.

Also, now that KC has a brand-spanking new rotation of Shields, Santana, Guthrie, Davis, and others, why would they want Tillman?

This kind off my feeling as well. Merry Christmas

What's with the douchey attitude? It was a very good post. What's your opposition to it?

Butler is a MOO bat! Who cares about his ability to run the bases. He improves the lineup, he moves other players down in the lineup which makes it stronger. I don't care if he's slow. We wouldn't be trading for him for his defense or ability to run the bases! Totally useless info, IMO!

Butler is a MOO bat! Who cares about his ability to run the bases. He improves the lineup, he moves other players down in the lineup which makes it stronger. I don't care if he's slow. We wouldn't be trading for him for his defense or ability to run the bases! Totally useless info, IMO!

It's definitely not useless. Regardless of why you trade for him, he's going to run the bases and he does that at an alarmingly slow rate. So, some of the benefit you get from his bat is offset by his incredibly poor baserunning.

It's definitely not useless. Regardless of why you trade for him, he's going to run the bases and he does that at an alarmingly slow rate. So, some of the benefit you get from his bat is offset by his incredibly poor baserunning.

Just think about how slow he'll be in a few years when he begins to decline physically. LOL/shudder.

Should slow base running be a factor in extending Wieters? He barely makes it to 1b before the OF relays the ball back to the IF.

As long as the runners in front of Butler are fast enough to score when he drives them in, thats all that would concern me.

I remember a game this season at OP where he hit I believe 2 DBs into the leftfield corner and made it to 2B without any problem. Is he slow? Yes! But he gets the job done. I would not worry about whether he can stretch a 2B into a triple or how many times he goes from first to third on a single.

Do we really want to have this thread again?

Butler is worse than his batting line alone indicates because he can't run or play defense; most of his production can be replicated by a platoon of Wigginton/Pearce or Wigginton/Valencia at a tiny fraction of the cost, and without sacrificing roster flexibility due to aforementioned defense issue; and for the privilege of spending some $15M on a small upgrade we'd have to give up (in this scenario) Tillman, Reimold, AND a prospect?

No, no, a thousand times no. Not even for Tillman alone.

Also, now that KC has a brand-spanking new rotation of Shields, Santana, Guthrie, Davis, and others, why would they want Tillman?

Your not replacing Billy Butler's offensive production with a platoon of the nobodies you've mentioned. Platoons rarely work out the way they are expected due to injuries, days off, and late inning RPs. Plus they take 2 rosters spots and diminish Buck's flexibility to maneuver. Butler doesn't need to be pinch hit for as he is good against both lefties and righties. Just like Baines you can put him 3rd in the order and leave him there.

Archived