So how about Brian Roberts today?

markakis8

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm bullish on Roberts for a couple reasons:

1. From reports I've heard and based on what he's shown this Spring it seems like he has really added some muscle in the offseason to get back to where he was (size wise) pre-concussion. This is big for Roberts, who needs to have that little bit of pop to be the doubles machine that we have seen in the past.

2. For all the talk of players declining into their mid-30's, one thing that I think can negate that to an extent is having a quick and short stroke. Brian has always had a quick bat and any loss in bat speed is not going to be as dramatic, as far as affecting his production, as it might be for other players. We saw how players like Vladdy and Derek Lee fell off once their bat speed slowed down (both have very long swings).

I think the likelihood is extremely high that he can outperform the other options at 2B. Can he say healthy though? I'm less optimistic about that.

Players declining in their mid 30's.. Marco Scuttoro says otherwise. I think B Rob can be what Marco is and some.

Yeah, declining performance expectations with age is so overrated. I mean, I was MVP of my company's industrial league softball team when I was 40. Why can't we use that for a comp? :thumbsup1:

Go BRob!! :2yay-thumb:Pretty quiet thread. Where are all the Roberts haters? Surely they haven't turned into pumpkins yet? :laughlol:

You don't actually think I'm rooting against an Oriole, do you?

Whether or not I think he's got a shot or I'm making a prediction unfavorable to him I hope he hits 162 dingers.

Nice to see he can drive a ball again at all since I doubt he could've hit a deep fly ball off a tee placed at 2nd base last year.

On one hand the homer was off McDonald who was great for half of last year. On the other hand it was off McDonald who has fallen off a cliff. Not sure what to make of that. Once he sees better competition/warmed up competition the pitch recognition and bat speed will be tested to its fullest extent.

I'm not watching the games right now so I have no idea how well he can run. When his head was intact he was a fine OBP man so that's another skill I'm keen on looking at, impossible to judge that in spring training.

I'm pretty pessimistic about Roberts' return but I would love, love to be proven wrong. That crow would be delicious.
You don't actually think I'm rooting against an Oriole, do you?

Whether or not I think he's got a shot or I'm making a prediction unfavorable to him I hope he hits 162 dingers.

Go BRob!! :2yay-thumb:Pretty quiet thread. Where are all the Roberts haters? Surely they haven't turned into pumpkins yet? :laughlol:

I am right with the other two Gordo, we don't "hate" Roberts we just have doubts that he outplay the other options this season.

Brian looks very comfortable at the plate, with no signs of anything bothering him health wise. Hopefully he can continue injury free. Would be a huge addition to the top of that lineup.

On the other hand ... Markakis does not look in the groove (as of yet). Hopefully there are no issues with his thumb.

You don't actually think I'm rooting against an Oriole, do you?Whether or not I think he's got a shot or I'm making a prediction unfavorable to him I hope he hits 162 dingers.

Nice to see he can drive a ball again at all since I doubt he could've hit a deep fly ball off a tee placed at 2nd base last year.

On one hand the homer was off McDonald who was great for half of last year. On the other hand it was off McDonald who has fallen off a cliff. Not sure what to make of that. Once he sees better competition/warmed up competition the pitch recognition and bat speed will be tested to its fullest extent.

I'm not watching the games right now so I have no idea how well he can run. When his head was intact he was a fine OBP man so that's another skill I'm keen on looking at, impossible to judge that in spring training.

I don't actually think about you at all. But you must think of yourself as a Roberts hater since you thought I was talking to you.

Archived