So how about Brian Roberts today?

markakis8

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OK, so let's just say that by whatever reason Brian Roberts has a throwback year in 2013. Do you guys think he should bat leadoff? Second? Ninth?

He was one of the best leadoff hitters in the game with a .370+ OBP, 40+ doubles and 30+ stolen bases. Even if he doesn't repeat the steals, I'd love to have his OPS leading off.

...but I'm also on record as saying (even now with his hot start) that he won't repeat. Though that argument is looking less logical by the day.

Lets put it this way. I have my doubts about Roberts being able to come back, but I'm pulling for him. And when he has a good day in ST I want to celebrate that as a positive step, as do 3 or 4 others here . But a great many others don't choose to say anything. Why do you suppose that is? Would you have even bothered to post in this thread if I hadn't said anything you thought applied to you? I'm sure we'll hear from you the first time he makes an E or goes 0 for.
You've heard the expression haters gotta hate? You figure it out.

You are quite the martyr aren't you? No one on this entire website "hates" Roberts. He was a loyal servant and a great Oriole who remained loyal to a franchise that was in complete disarray. The fact that some of us aren't certain he will ever be fully healthy again or that he will ever produce at a high level doesn't mean we dislike him in any way shape or form. Everyone who is a true O's fan is rooting for him, but just as we won't overreact to an 0-3, we won't overreact to a 3-3. It's early in spring training, who knows if this is sustainable? Skepticism and having patience to wait and observe his play before making a definitive statement is not equivalent to hating him.

You're attempt to paint anyone with doubts about Roberts as a "hater" is simply absurd.

And remember that Oriole second base production last year was .213/.273/.323 and five of 11 steal attempts...not too much to do to improve production significantly. Even a 50 percent of the old BRob would be much better than this.

If someone could guarantee me 600 PA of a 350 OBP from Roberts, I'd staple him to the leadoff spot.
I'd be happy with his 2003 numbers:112 G, .270, .337, .367, .704, 23 SB. That would be a big upgrade over 2B last season.

I'd be happy with his 2003 numbers:112 G, .270, .337, .367, .704, 23 SB. That would be a big upgrade over 2B last season.

Those numbers would probably have BRob hitting at the bottom for the order with Markakis and McLouth hitting at the top.

That would be fine by me.

Archived