As JJ Hardy Struggles at ST Will Orioles Reconsider A Trade?

section18

Since most on OH don't want to trade any of our young pitching which is as plentiful as food at most Thanksgiving Dinners we will have to trade an everyday player along with one or two of our young pitchers not slated for the HOF. If the Orioles are serious about making the playoffs again we need another right handed power bat added to our lineup.

I think the Orioles are dead serious about making the playoffs again, with the players they have now, though undoubtedly there will be additions along the way. Superb defense on the left side of the infield was a huge ingredient of the O's success in August and September and I don't think they'll give that up for a power bat.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The only field general is Wieters...Hardy is a good SS but obviously Manny is the future long term SS of the Os.

Hope not. Keep Manny at 3rd. I think it is easier to replace a SS than it is a 3rd baseman. This team has not had a good 3rd baseman

in a while.

As for Hardy isn't his contract up in a year or two?

No, spring training won't change Buck's mind about Hardy. And, he's only struck out once, so I'm not sure whether he's just hit into some bad luck in his 21 AB, or whether he isn't making good contact, but it's not like he can't catch up to a pitch. Frankly I'm more worried about Betemit, who has 11 K's already.

What will matter about J.J. Hardy and this spring is simple health. If he is healthy he will be our starter. And should be.

I agree with you about the importance of defense on the left side. I'm not suggesting moving Machado to SS and have never mentioned that and why would we after he played a gold glove type 3B. I think we can cover SS with a platoon if necessary. We know JJ had a down year last season and I think Bucks moving him down in the lineup will have a negative effect on him. I hope I'm wrong because we need the old JJ in 2013 not another 2012 version. Some hitters do better moved down in the lineup and some view it like a demotion. I'm not sure how he'll view this decision. Like the Ravens sometimes you have to make moves that will not be popular and will be important two and three years down the road. He is scheduled to make $7 million in 2013 and $7 million in 2014 before becoming a free agent in 2015. A team obtaining him now will be willing to give up a good player knowing they have him under contract for two more years. There are three articles below you night find interesting;

http://www.baseballplayersalaries.com/players/109_JJ_Hardy

http://www.rantsports.com/mlb/2013/03/10/baltimore-orioles-shortstop-j-j-hardy-needs-to-step-up-in-2013/

http://www.blessyouboys.com/detroit-tigers-hot-stove-rumors-trades-free-agents/2013/1/12/3869074/jj-hardy-tigers-orioles-cubs-trade

An interesting note from an article above; Last season Baltimore Orioles shortstop J.J. Hardy accounted for 535 outs made, which was more than any other hitter in entire league. He also had the second most at-bats in 2013, which ultimately increased his chances of accumulating outs. Compared to seasons past, Hardy never had more than 449 outs made. I'm sure Buck and DD knows this and explains why he is being moved lower in the lineup.

Carrying over a .238/.282 line from last year, this could become an issue.

You're right in that it could become an issue. But, it hasn't became an issue yet. If his spring numbers continue into this summer, they probably will make a change. I find that highly unlikely.

If he continues to slump and is hitting .210 in June we will be selling low. We have to hope teams will think he just had an off year in 2012 and will consider 2011 a normal year. I have talked myself into dealing him now the more I read about him online. I really like him and it's not personal discussing moving him now. The old saying moving a year before as opposed to waiting a year too long could apply here. I would not roll the dice he will have a comeback if there is interest from other teams and we can land the right handed power bat we need now. Some of you may have missed a couple revisions I made in the post before this one. The fact he made the most outs (535) in the entire league last year is hard to believe and to think he was our #2 hitter was unfortunate. Most of us wanted him dropped during the season lower in the lineup and we waited and waited and it never happened.

I was talking about the Ravens (like everyone else the last few days as the dismantle continues) with several knowledgeable sports fans and said the Orioles are less than three weeks away from the start of another season and the Ravens continue to steal the front page and TV and radio sports headlines daily. Will DD make a bold move soon to get back into the headlines? They traded Flacco's brother recently but that's not what DD and Buck have in mind.

Will DD make a bold move soon to get back into the headlines?

No, and it's not about getting headlines or making message boards happy. It's about winning and I suspect we will. The other stuff all falls into place. "Try as you may, it's tough to screw up the good ones."

Hardy begins a lot to the team defensively. He could be hitting .210 in June and that will not be a problem if the team is winning.

This team can not afford to have Belanger starting for them, and Hardy isn't Belanger with the glove.

I do expect Hardy to rebound slightly from last year's numbers.

Nobody. Cares. About. Spring. Training. Stats.

You might not care. But there are plenty of highly paid staffers who's job, to a degree, is to care about spring training stats, or more accurately, to care about the abilities - or lack thereof - that those stats reflect. If nobody cares about ST stats, why all the hand-wringing in Philly over Halladay's poor start? A poor spring does not always signal the coming of a bad season or a bad start to the season, but it can't be dismissed entirely... To the OP's main point, I do agree that a poor spring is not going to unseat Hardy as our shortstop, period. The glove is invaluable, and I wouldn't even mind having a Belanger-esque slash line at that position, provided he stays in the 7-9 slots.... But I don't think you can easily dismiss a poor offensive spring after a below average season at the plate last year...

You might not care. But there are plenty of highly paid staffers who's job, to a degree, is to care about spring training stats, or more accurately, to care about the abilities - or lack thereof - that those stats reflect. If nobody cares about ST stats, why all the hand-wringing in Philly over Halladay's poor start? A poor spring does not always signal the coming of a bad season or a bad start to the season, but it can't be dismissed entirely... To the OP's main point, I do agree that a poor spring is not going to unseat Hardy as our shortstop, period. The glove is invaluable, and I wouldn't even mind having a Belanger-esque slash line at that position, provided he stays in the 7-9 slots.... But I don't think you can easily dismiss a poor offensive spring after a below average season at the plate last year...

His velocity is down. If he was throwing with his normal velocity and having bad results it wouldn't be much of an issue.

I was talking about the Ravens (like everyone else the last few days as the dismantle continues) with several knowledgeable sports fans and said the Orioles are less than three weeks away from the start of another season and the Ravens continue to steal the front page and TV and radio sports headlines daily. Will DD make a bold move soon to get back into the headlines?

You're insinuating that Duquette makes moves based on his need to compete with the Ravens for headlines and attention. Do you really think this way, or are you just checking to see if anyone is paying attention?

Archived