Brian Matusz Today, 2013

OFFNY

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I love seeing a confident Brian Matusz. If he keeps this up through June and we can't find a bonafide 5th starter than its time to have a serious discussion about having him start again.

Ditto. I hope Buck will transition Troy Patton into the role that Brian has now, so that Brian can be in the rotation. Brian appears to be better against right handers, which was probably the biggest problem he had as a starter. And does Buck really need 3 lefties in the pen? I know, Buck's in charge and whatever he says goes. But our best starter could be Brian soon.

I love seeing a confident Brian Matusz. If he keeps this up through June and we can't find a bonafide 5th starter than its time to have a serious discussion about having him start again.

Hopefully Britton or somebody else makes this a non issue, but I agree I think Matusz should be on the table. My guess is Buck will keep Matusz in the pen and rotate guys in and out to see who sticks until Gausman or a healthy Bundy are ready to take the spot.

I think Matusz should get a spot in the starting rotation - I remain convinced he's a #2 calibre starter and I think there's every chance he'd be the best starter on the team if given an opportunity.

However, he has been lights out in the bullpen and I'm glad he's been there for some tight situations so far this year - including tonight where after Toronto's HR cut it to 4-3 - I felt momentum shifting - but Matusz helped hold the fort.

I think Matusz should get a spot in the starting rotation - I remain convinced he's a #2 calibre starter and I think there's every chance he'd be the best starter on the team if given an opportunity.

However, he has been lights out in the bullpen and I'm glad he's been there for some tight situations so far this year - including tonight where after Toronto's HR cut it to 4-3 - I felt momentum shifting - but Matusz helped hold the fort.

C-HAB Oriole. :)

How many chances does Matusz get as a starter? I'm amazed at his success as a reliever. Keep him there. He's providing real value to the team and the organization.

I will always believe that his success as a starter was based on a plus changeup. Somehow, he lost that pitch. He's pretty much FB and curve out of the pen. He can't be a starter without plus control (doubtful) and a plus changeup (I see it on a rare occasion).

Listen, I admire the guy for not giving up, going to the pen, and really being great there. I just don't think he's going to suddenly turn into an effective starter. He's had plenty of chances.

How many chances does Matusz get as a starter? I'm amazed at his success as a reliever. Keep him there. He's providing real value to the team and the organization.

I will always believe that his success as a starter was based on a plus changeup. Somehow, he lost that pitch. He's pretty much FB and curve out of the pen. He can't be a starter without plus control (doubtful) and a plus changeup (I see it on a rare occasion).

Listen, I admire the guy for not giving up, going to the pen, and really being great there. I just don't think he's going to suddenly turn into an effective starter. He's had plenty of chances.

I could have sworn I heard Palmer saying about Brian, that he threw the changeup in a fastball count which is what we know and love about him. Certainly didn't sound like he lost that pitch today.

I'm in the camp that Brian can still be a top tier starter in the bigs. And you gotta believe he wants another crack at it. It's all about the plus plus change up he arrived with in 2009 reappearing. And it sure seems like he's found it. I'm fine with him dominating out of the pen at this point. But I hope Buck gives him a shot at some point this season.

Well if they do decide to move GM back into the rotation they need to decide soon. He'll need to be stretched out n Norfolk and that'll take 3 weeks to a month. I personally would keep him in the bullpen where he has been lights out and make that change over an offseason.

I've never gotten the hype about Matusz, and I still don't understand why some folks still have high hopes for him. His stuff just isn't impressive, and his command and control is inconsistent. I see him as an okay reliever - nothing more. I like Hunter's chances of success in the pen more than Matusz'.

Archived