Rutgers

NJOriolesFan

It's kind of fun to be watching all this Rutgers football stuff, but as an RU grad student I do have a couple of complaints about it.

1) The team's success has definitely messed with my school's annual alumni association tailgate. We are having it Thursday night and now most of our alumni can't get tickets because they're sold out (which NEVER, EVER used to happen at Rutgers) and the students have to go out to the football stadium (which is in Piscataway, not New Brunswick and is a pain in the butt to go to) on Tuesday or Wednesday to pick up tickets (every single student who wants a ticket has to go and present their own ID) whereas we used to just be able to swipe our ID cards at the gate to get in.

2) It rubs a lot of us the wrong way that in a time of major budget cuts in the athletic and all departments, the football budget is growing at its fastest rate ever. Faculty and staff positions are being eliminated, sports like men's crew which have been around since the 1700's are being cut, and football seems to get all the money it asks for even though it has yet to become an actual profitable endeavor for Rutgers.

3) There are lots of annoying, drunk, underage bandwagon fans running around town getting in the way of those of us who are trying to get an education and/or work here and pretending that they know all about football and have been huge RU football fans since they were little kids and the team was awful.

All that being said, I'm totally going to the riot if we finish undefeated and don't get to play for the national championship!:P

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Come on now, with all due respect for the job Schiano has done to turn around that program, they have no shot of playing in the National championship game. If they did, Ohio State would be favored by 30, it would be ridiculous. Rutgers has beaten North Carolina and Navy out of conference this year. They wont beat Louisville and West Virginia, hopefully they'll beat Louisville and West Virginia will beat them so we can get the ridiculous idea of a Big East team playing for the National Championship out of our minds. Honestly, the conference is sub par for Football..Did you see WEst Virginia's schedule when they showed it last night? Awful.

You failed to mention that they also beat Illinois 33-0 which just lost to Ohio State 17-10. Just saying......

Obviously, somebody has some issues.

The idea that a winner can be decided by the current system is totally bogus. As long as the system is the way it is, I just don't care about the "National Championship"

Just looking at last weekend's games, WVU's performance vs. Louisville was about 300 times more impressive than what Michigan and Ohio State did. Yet the Moutaineers are done and the others rise. It's dumb.

The rankings are way too tied up in historical biases. People knock the Big East teams' schedules but who is to say for a fact that, say, Penn State is better than Syracuse? We don't know. Rutgers might stomp Michigan, we don't know. Everybody deserves a chance to prove they are among the best, whether your name is Ohio State or Boise State.

Division I-AA does it right. Until there's a playoff, it's illegitimate.

The idea that a winner can be decided by the current system is totally bogus. As long as the system is the way it is, I just don't care about the "National Championship"

Just looking at last weekend's games, WVU's performance vs. Louisville was about 300 times more impressive than what Michigan and Ohio State did. Yet the Moutaineers are done and the others rise. It's dumb.

The rankings are way too tied up in historical biases. People knock the Big East teams' schedules but who is to say for a fact that, say, Penn State is better than Syracuse? We don't know. Rutgers might stomp Michigan, we don't know. Everybody deserves a chance to prove they are among the best, whether your name is Ohio State or Boise State.

Division I-AA does it right. Until there's a playoff, it's illegitimate.

That and the preseason ranking.

It sucks because teams like WVU and Rutgers don't have too much of a chance, even if they run the table, to be in the NC game. All because of preseason rankings and perception.

I did enjoy that game last night, a lot of emotion. I think Rutgers D was most impressive, IMO. They had a ton of blitzes and did well backing each other up. I was very impressed with the fact that after they gave up a couple big plays, they still came after the football. Very nice to see.

What an awesome game. I was very happy to see Rutgers win.

Now if Rutgers can go undefeated and not get the National Championship game, maybe that helps get a playoff system going.

How about this scenario:

Michigan beats Ohio State.

Cal beats USC

USC beats Notre Dame

Michigan loses to Florida in a close sloppy game for the National Championship.

Cal beats Ohio State in the Rose Bowl.

Undefeated Rutgers CRUSHES defending champ Texas in one of the BCS Bowl Games.

With those teams picking up losses and Rutgers being undefeated after beating the defending National champ where would it leave them and the whole BCS Committee? It won't likely happen and there is practically no way that Rutgers can get the chapionship game but that is what makes a playoff necessary.

By the way, Rutgers is now #3 in the Sagarin ratings that are used in the BCS computer rankings. They are behind only Ohio State and Michigan and one of them will drop out of the top 2 after they play each other.

Big East football may be the most entertaining brand of college football today.

Awesome game last night. Unfortunately for the BEast, it's hard to make it through the conference unscathed and therefore they likely won't get a chance at the National Title. I have a feeling WVU will take care of Rutgers leaving 3 Big East teams w/one loss.

Big East football may be the most entertaining brand of college football today.

Awesome game last night. Unfortunately for the BEast, it's hard to make it through the conference unscathed and therefore they likely won't get a chance at the National Title. I have a feeling WVU will take care of Rutgers leaving 3 Big East teams w/one loss.

It is certainly entertaining, but far from the best. The out of conference schedules are awful, as are most of the defenses. It was a great game last night, fun to watch and the fans were terrific. But, these Big East teams would have no shot against Ohio State, Michigan, FLorida, and Texas. Before anyone says it, I know West Virginia beat Georgia in the Sugar Bowl last year. It was a big win, but 1 big win out of conference doesnt mean that much.

No disrespect meant to what Schiano has done at Rutgers, it's a great story.

It is certainly entertaining, but far from the best. The out of conference schedules are awful, as are most of the defenses. It was a great game last night, fun to watch and the fans were terrific. But, these Big East teams would have no shot against Ohio State, Michigan, FLorida, and Texas. Before anyone says it, I know West Virginia beat Georgia in the Sugar Bowl last year. It was a big win, but 1 big win out of conference doesnt mean that much.

I agree that overall the SEC is the best conference but let's not pretend like the Big East OOC schedules are any worse than those of schools from other major conferences. Vanderbilt's win @ Duke was the only road OOC win for the SEC against a team from one of the Big Six conferences.

I don't think any of the BEast teams would beat OSU or Michigan but I don't think Florida or Texas would either. I don't think a credible argument can be made that a team like WVU or LOU is not capable of beating a FL or UT though.

Please, the Big East out of conference schedules are no worse than any of the teams you mentioned. Vanderbilt, Central Michigan, Northern Illinois, Cinncinnatti, Bowling Green, Northern Texas, Rice, Sam Houston St, Southern Miss, Central Florida, Western Carolina are some of the teams that Ohio St, Michigan, Florida and Texas played in their super duper out of conference schedules. The point is everyone plays cupcake teams in their non conference schedules. To hold it against one conference and not the other is just silly. Especially when out of the four conference of the teams you mentioned, only the SEC has a better non conference record than that of the "lowly" Big East.

Archived