Rutgers

NJOriolesFan

I know there are a couple of Rutgers students on this board. I also know most of you have not taken the time to watch Rutgers play at all this year. They have most likely the best halfback-fullback tandem in the country and they have played some of the best defense in the country, albeit not against top offenses. So where is the middle ground on how well they have played and who they have played.

Looking at the Sagarin ratings, coming into last night's game, Rutgers would be favored vs. Louisville, Cincinnati and Syracuse. After last night's game, I am pretty sure they won't be favored and I'm not sure they would have been anyway by Vegas. However, the game is winnable for Rutgers in what will be a record crowd. If Rutgers were to beat Louisville, Cincy and Syracuse they would head down to Morgantown with an 11-0 record and a chance to win the Big East. I don't know that they can beat West Virginia or even Louisville, for that matter, but if they run the table, where does that leave them?

I'm sure they would get a BCS game. I doubt they would get a championship game under any circumstance even if they are the only undefeated team in the country (which is unlikely, there will be either 2 or 3).

Regardless, Ray Rice is a legitimate Heisman candidate although even a top 5 finis for the soph would be a major accomplishment.

And there is no doubt, no matter who you throw in to the mix, especially if Rutgers beats Louisville, Greg Schiano is CLEARLY the National coach of the year in college football.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know there are a couple of Rutgers students on this board. I also know most of you have not taken the time to watch Rutgers play at all this year. They have most likely the best halfback-fullback tandem in the country and they have played some of the best defense in the country, albeit not against top offenses. So where is the middle ground on how well they have played and who they have played.

I don't know if they even have the best combo in the BEast. I don't know that I'd take them over Schmitt and Slaton. Although any chance at an invite to the Heisman show for Slaton were probably eliminated when he hurt his hand/wrist and couldn't hold on to the football. Had he stayed healthy they may or may not have won but with the way he was running it would of been another 200+ yard night against a pretty good team.

Looking at the Sagarin ratings, coming into last night's game, Rutgers would be favored vs. Louisville, Cincinnati and Syracuse. After last night's game, I am pretty sure they won't be favored and I'm not sure they would have been anyway by Vegas. However, the game is winnable for Rutgers in what will be a record crowd. If Rutgers were to beat Louisville, Cincy and Syracuse they would head down to Morgantown with an 11-0 record and a chance to win the Big East. I don't know that they can beat West Virginia or even Louisville, for that matter, but if they run the table, where does that leave them?

I'm sure they would get a BCS game. I doubt they would get a championship game under any circumstance even if they are the only undefeated team in the country (which is unlikely, there will be either 2 or 3).

Regardless, Ray Rice is a legitimate Heisman candidate although even a top 5 finis for the soph would be a major accomplishment.

And there is no doubt, no matter who you throw in to the mix, especially if Rutgers beats Louisville, Greg Schiano is CLEARLY the National coach of the year in college football.

Their defense definately gives them a chance to win and Schiano is da man. Hopefully Rutgers can keep him for a while and not lose him to greener pastures.

The future definately looks bright for the BEast especially if some of the very talented underclassman hang around. Who'd of guessed that WVU and Rutgers and Louisville would legitimately be superior teams to those that left for the ACC.

If the Red Runners of the Raritan go undefeated, they will have beaten an undefeated Louisville and a (likely) once-defeated West Virginia.

The way the system is set up, they would deserve to go to the championship game.

Which is why we need a playoff system.

I, for one, am rooting for THE State University of New Jersey.

I don't know if they even have the best combo in the BEast. I don't know that I'd take them over Schmitt and Slaton. Although any chance at an invite to the Heisman show for Slaton were probably eliminated when he hurt his hand/wrist and couldn't hold on to the football. Had he stayed healthy they may or may not have won but with the way he was running it would of been another 200+ yard night against a pretty good team.

I don't know. Ray Rice is considered by many experts to be #2 or #3 in the Heisman race. Slaton, of course, is the other guy that the experts have at #2 and #3. Brian Leonard is the top fullback in college. He will likely be a low 1st or 2nd round draft choice in the NFL. He is in the mold of a Rob Konrad or Mike Alstott or Tom Rathman. Two made it. One didn't. I think/hope he will be a successful pro. I would like it even more if he ends up being a successful pro for the Vikings, eventually taking over for Tony Richardson.

Their defense definately gives them a chance to win and Schiano is da man. Hopefully Rutgers can keep him for a while and not lose him to greener pastures.

The future definately looks bright for the BEast especially if some of the very talented underclassman hang around. Who'd of guessed that WVU and Rutgers and Louisville would legitimately be superior teams to those that left for the ACC.

Mike Trangeesee (sp????) said that he doesn't think he will leave Rutgers. He is a New Jersey guy and turning around Rutgers may truly be his dream job. More money may be thrown at him and Rutgers athletics is suffering financially. But, with a BCS bowl appearance, they could take that money and save it for when they need to ante up for Schiano. Even if he were to leave, he would leave Rutgers in a better place than when he got there and that would be attractive to a solid new coach if they were to need to go out and get one.

Schiano has become a celebrity of sorts. The frat houses on campus have signs hanging that say "Schiano for President" (I know not real original). Schiano's kids go to the same Catholic school as my son and yesterday in the parking lot after he dropped off his kids, there were a couple kids screaming his name to get his attention. They are members of the same church as my family and he is active in his kids' school (as much as a college head coach can be). He is also much bigger than he looks on TV. I guess being surrounded by the huge lineman on TV makes him appear to be smaller than he is but he is taller and definately more solid than I thought he was. And no this is not a man-crush. I've said for years that if somebody could just keep all of the New Jersey talent from rushing out of state and keep them at Rutgers, they could be perrenial top 20 teams. Schiano also has his recruiting hooks in Southern Florida and Pennsylvania due to the time he spent with high school coaches while he was at Miami and Penn State.

I am actually more worried about him leaving for an NFL job in a few years than I am about him leaving for University of Miami. Penn State could be an attractive option for him though, if Paterno ever stops coaching.

If the Red Runners of the Raritan go undefeated, they will have beaten an undefeated Louisville and a (likely) once-defeated West Virginia.

The way the system is set up, they would deserve to go to the championship game.

Which is why we need a playoff system.

I, for one, am rooting for THE State University of New Jersey.

While I agree, I think Florida and USC will end up ahead of them if they both win out, as well as the Ohio State-Michigan winner. I can still see a scenario where Rutgers would be THE ONLY undefeated team in the nation and still end up 3rd in the BCS. The one thing Rutgers has going for them is that they are ranked higher in the computer ratings than they are in the polls. If they finished undefeated, I have a feeling the voters would jump on board.

I don't know. Ray Rice is considered by many experts to be #2 or #3 in the Heisman race. Slaton, of course, is the other guy that the experts have at #2 and #3. Brian Leonard is the top fullback in college. He will likely be a low 1st or 2nd round draft choice in the NFL. He is in the mold of a Rob Konrad or Mike Alstott or Tom Rathman. Two made it. One didn't. I think/hope he will be a successful pro. I would like it even more if he ends up being a successful pro for the Vikings, eventually taking over for Tony Richardson.

I'll look forward to watching him play next week. I can't decide who I'll be rooting for though. It'd be great for Louisville to run the table and be in the Fiesta Bowl but at the same time a Rutgers win would still give WVU a BCS chance.

Mike Trangeesee (sp????) said that he doesn't think he will leave Rutgers. He is a New Jersey guy and turning around Rutgers may truly be his dream job. More money may be thrown at him and Rutgers athletics is suffering financially. But, with a BCS bowl appearance, they could take that money and save it for when they need to ante up for Schiano. Even if he were to leave, he would leave Rutgers in a better place than when he got there and that would be attractive to a solid new coach if they were to need to go out and get one.

Schiano has become a celebrity of sorts. The frat houses on campus have signs hanging that say "Schiano for President" (I know not real original). Schiano's kids go to the same Catholic school as my son and yesterday in the parking lot after he dropped off his kids, there were a couple kids screaming his name to get his attention. They are members of the same church as my family and he is active in his kids' school (as much as a college head coach can be). He is also much bigger than he looks on TV. I guess being surrounded by the huge lineman on TV makes him appear to be smaller than he is but he is taller and definately more solid than I thought he was. And no this is not a man-crush. I've said for years that if somebody could just keep all of the New Jersey talent from rushing out of state and keep them at Rutgers, they could be perrenial top 20 teams. Schiano also has his recruiting hooks in Southern Florida and Pennsylvania due to the time he spent with high school coaches while he was at Miami and Penn State.

I am actually more worried about him leaving for an NFL job in a few years than I am about him leaving for University of Miami. Penn State could be an attractive option for him though, if Paterno ever stops coaching.

I hope he's right. However I've heard the same things about WVU being Rich Rodriguez's dream job but that doesn't stop me worrying if there is any truth to rumors of everything from NC (why?) to being Bowden's successor at FSU.

While I agree, I think Florida and USC will end up ahead of them if they both win out, as well as the Ohio State-Michigan winner. I can still see a scenario where Rutgers would be THE ONLY undefeated team in the nation and still end up 3rd in the BCS. The one thing Rutgers has going for them is that they are ranked higher in the computer ratings than they are in the polls. If they finished undefeated, I have a feeling the voters would jump on board.

That would be great, if they were third or lower as the only undefeated, especially after beating WVU and Louisville.

More BCS chaos is better.

Come on now, with all due respect for the job Schiano has done to turn around that program, they have no shot of playing in the National championship game. If they did, Ohio State would be favored by 30, it would be ridiculous. Rutgers has beaten North Carolina and Navy out of conference this year. They wont beat Louisville and West Virginia, hopefully they'll beat Louisville and West Virginia will beat them so we can get the ridiculous idea of a Big East team playing for the National Championship out of our minds. Honestly, the conference is sub par for Football..Did you see WEst Virginia's schedule when they showed it last night? Awful.

Come on now, with all due respect for the job Schiano has done to turn around that program, they have no shot of playing in the National championship game. If they did, Ohio State would be favored by 30, it would be ridiculous. Rutgers has beaten North Carolina and Navy out of conference this year. They wont beat Louisville and West Virginia, hopefully they'll beat Louisville and West Virginia will beat them so we can get the ridiculous idea of a Big East team playing for the National Championship out of our minds. Honestly, the conference is sub par for Football..Did you see WEst Virginia's schedule when they showed it last night? Awful.

The BEast aint the SEC but the best teams in the Big East are better teams than those in some other conferences like the ACC and the Big 12. And WVU did show last year in the Sugar Bowl that not even the SEC Champion is capable of stopping them from running all over 'em.

That would be great, if they were third or lower as the only undefeated, especially after beating WVU and Louisville.

More BCS chaos is better.

I agree. The more controversy involved, the more they talk about implementing a playoff system. I'm rooting for Rutgers to go undefeated.

I agree. The more controversy involved, the more they talk about implementing a playoff system. I'm rooting for Rutgers to go undefeated.

You would think, but I've read and heard College Presidents quoted saying that the controversy is what makes college football great and there is no need for a playoff. With the vast majority of schools not benefiting from a playoff system I'd be surprised if it gets any traction for anything more than a 4 team playoff which while better than nothing doesn't really solve the problem(s).

You would think, but I've read and heard College Presidents quoted saying that the controversy is what makes college football great and there is no need for a playoff. With the vast majority of schools not benefiting from a playoff system I'd be surprised if it gets any traction for anything more than a 4 team playoff which while better than nothing doesn't really solve the problem(s).

The problem is, you can implement a playoff over the present bowl system (minus the BCS) and still have it work.

Since the present bowls mean absolute jack, they can be kept around for teams that don't make the playoff. Run a twelve- or sixteen-team playoff throughout December, starting on the first Saturday after the first Monday in December (kind of like Election Day), which should give three Saturdays for the first three rounds of games, and a minimum of a week before New Year's Day, when the championship game would be played.

I'd prefer sixteen teams, because then you can give an automatic bid to all eleven conferences, with five at-larges.

Teams that don't make the playoffs can still play in their respective bowls, kind of like the NIT. Teams that lose in the playoffs (except for, obviously, the last one) can play in bowls as well.

In that situation, not only would a team like Rutgers get a shot at a championship by going undefeated, but a team like Louisville or West Virginia would have a shot at an at-large bid.

The more you make it like the NCAA Basketball tournament, which might be the most popular sporting event in America, the better.

The problem is, you can implement a playoff over the present bowl system (minus the BCS) and still have it work.

Since the present bowls mean absolute jack, they can be kept around for teams that don't make the playoff. Run a twelve- or sixteen-team playoff throughout December, starting on the first Saturday after the first Monday in December (kind of like Election Day), which should give three Saturdays for the first three rounds of games, and a minimum of a week before New Year's Day, when the championship game would be played.

I'd prefer sixteen teams, because then you can give an automatic bid to all eleven conferences, with five at-larges.

Teams that don't make the playoffs can still play in their respective bowls, kind of like the NIT. Teams that lose in the playoffs (except for, obviously, the last one) can play in bowls as well.

In that situation, not only would a team like Rutgers get a shot at a championship by going undefeated, but a team like Louisville or West Virginia would have a shot at an at-large bid.

The more you make it like the NCAA Basketball tournament, which might be the most popular sporting event in America, the better.

I agree with you but while I think a 4 team (3 games) scenario is possible allowing some teams to play 15-18 games in a season doesn't have any chance of happening anytime soon.

Especially after they changed the rules that had allowed teams to play that extra game to start the season, like the Pigskin Classic and games like that.

I agree with you but while I think a 4 team (3 games) scenario is possible allowing some teams to play 15-18 games in a season doesn't have any chance of happening anytime soon.

Especially after they changed the rules that had allowed teams to play that extra game to start the season, like the Pigskin Classic and games like that.

Then they should cut out that extra game.

The playoff gives more money to the schools, playing those extra games, and allows money to go directly to the NCAA.

The greedy b******s should be jumping all over that :D

Schiano is da man. Hopefully Rutgers can keep him for a while and not lose him to greener pastures.

Well they tried to prevent that by selling him a piece of their ecological preserve to build himself a mansion near the football stadium. They tried to just give it to them but after a bunch of public outcry they made him pay something for the land and agree to give Rutgers the first option to buy the land back from him if/when he sells.

Archived