Could Tillman be the Orioles 1st 20 Game Winner in a long time?

Roll Tide

Will Tillman Win 20 this year?  

82 members have voted

1. 1. Will Tillman Win 20 this year?

• Yes he Will!
    • Possibly he has a good chance
    • Chances are small he'd make it
    • No way

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Getting to 20 will be a challenge, but he has a shot.

Perhaps more attainable: no Oriole starter has won more than 15 games since Mike Mussina in 1999. No Oriole has won more than 12 since Erik Bedard in 2007 (and Chen is the only one who even reached 12 in the last 5 years). How pathetic is that? Tillman has a good chance to end those streaks if he stays healthy.

Whatever else you want to say, wins are a fun stat. It takes an interesting combination of skill and luck. Tillman has already won as many games this year as Jeremy Guthrie ever won in a full season for us, even though Guthrie had several good years from an ERA and IP standpoint. Hammel could win 12-14 games even though he's been pretty bad this year.

Maybe one day there will be an Alt WS based on peripherals. Or, maybe they'll just leave it as a video game.

Are you actually defending pitcher wins? We could start a 178-page thread just listing games where the win was assigned to the pitcher who performed worst in that game.

Are you actually defending pitcher wins? We could start a 178-page thread just listing games where the win was assigned to the pitcher who performed worst in that game.

I am not trying to defend the stat, obviously it is meaningless in many cases, but throughout history, typically the best pitcher(s) on a team ended up with the most wins and I for one, will definitely be rooting for Tillman to get 20. Like Frobby said, it is a fun stat and I really want to see another Oriole achieve that "goal".

I don't defend stats. They are just reports of measurement. Jack Morris says wins matter. That's enough for me. I am defending Jack Morris.

Getting to 20 will be a challenge, but he has a shot.

Perhaps more attainable: no Oriole starter has won more than 15 games since Mike Mussina in 1999. No Oriole has won more than 12 since Erik Bedard in 2007 (and Chen is the only one who even reached 12 in the last 5 years). How pathetic is that? Tillman has a good chance to end those streaks if he stays healthy.

This makes me feel old. I grew up with Palmer, McNally, Cuellar, etc. and the year they had four twenty game winners I believe to be the record least likely in all of baseball to ever be broken.

Anybody else find it more than ironic, but some of the usual "stats guys" suspects are here to crap on pitcher W's?

I mean, if it was a stat that told me that Carlos Lee was the greatest defensive 1b of all time then we'd be told that we need to evaluate a larger sample size. Or we'd be told it was only a tool, and we need to know how to "evaluate" it properly within "context."

Well, aren't those both very true of pitcher's Ws as well?

Sometimes I wish I was a baseball hipster. Then I could feel so superior too.

Archived