Rosenthal: Orioles willing to trade Bundy, poised for big move?

JTrea81

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/san-francisco-giants-trade-deadline-hunter-pence-tim-lincecum-javier-lopez-072813

In any case, the Orioles? aggression is notable. Sources say the team is even willing to move one of its top prospects, right-hander Dylan Bundy, for the right return.

Bundy, 20, underwent Tommy John surgery last month, but the success rate of pitchers recovering from the operation is quite good. The Chicago Cubs acquired right-hander Arodys Vizcaino from the Atlanta Braves last season just four months after he had the surgery. Vizcaino, 22, was the centerpiece of the package that the Cubs acquired for left-hander Paul Maholm and outfielder Reed Johnson.

What follows is speculation:

The Orioles wouldn?t trade Bundy straight-up for say, a year-plus of Peavy, but they might include him as part of a larger package in which they could get another player, perhaps second baseman Gordon Beckham, in return.

Or for Cliff Lee and Chase Utley? Doubt they'd trade Bundy for anything but a TOR, and Peavy is not that.

Were Giancarlo Stanton available, they'd most certainly trade Bundy for him IMO.

This is the point where you can still deal Bundy because of the hype. If he struggles coming back next season, his trade value will drop until he can prove he's back to his normal self. I know everybody thinks this kid is going to be better than Mussina, but let's not forget Matt Riley or the many other pitching prospects that have flamed out since Mussina was taken in the first round.

What we do know is Bundy won't help us win this year or next year and his future is much more uncertain than it was just a year ago. That alone should be enough for the Orioles to pull the trigger if they can get an impact player or two who can help the Orioles win their first WS title in 30 years.

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Bundy can bet you a TOR, I would trade him without hesitation. A proven commodity for a ?. We have zero track record in developing pitchers, Bundy might best somewhere else anyways. Plus you are right, he won't help us for at least another 1.5 years minimum.

Somewhat related question: Bobby Bundy is still hurt I believe. Haven't heard anything about him in some time.

I'd consider trading Bundy, but only in a deal where the return feature player was someone younger than 30 who was under contract/team control for 3 years or more.

This is where I am with all this business. A year and a couple months? Pass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Would you do Bundy+ for Jeff Samarjdia? He is young, under control for a couple of years, and rumored to be available. Is he seasoned enough to really help the O's this year?

No, I would not consider that. Not enough upside with Samardzija.

If they are actually talking about moving Bundy (as opposed to what DD said in his interview a couple days ago), they should be talking about Sale instead of Peavy.
Sale is a Cy Young calibre pitcher under team control until, I believe, 2019. You'd probably have to give Bundy and Gausman and maybe more. Not that I wouldn't, but he'd be really hard to pry away.

Archived