O's get Bud Norris

Greg

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Exactly, Tillman looked like crap early on and now is our best pitcher.. Britton was a stud his rookie year then regressed..

The major difference is that Tilman figured it out at the exact same point Britton needed to as Britton does not have an option and has not figured it out yet for next season. Tilma figured it out the year he still had an option left. Britton has not done that yet and doesn't look like he will so he will be going into next season without an option and nothing to stand on as far as showing he is getting there.

Norris will have about 10 starts this year? How many more will we win with him instead of Hammel. Don't like this at all.

Well, we approximate this quite easily. Norris's WAR this season is 1.9, while Hammel's is -0.4. So, the difference there is 2.3 WAR. There are 55 games remaining, so the difference is about one win (0.8)...not counting the playoffs :)

Umm, you do know that W-L record doesn't mean much at all- especially when you are pitching for one of the worst team in baseball. He's not "below average" at all, here's why:

- Over the last three years he has a 4.1 WAR,

- He also has a career 8.4K/9

- Since he's been in the majors he strikes out more that twice as many batters as he walks.

- Also has allowed less than a hit for every inning he's ever pitched, not bad.

"below average life time numbers"??????

And you would have to assume with an above average defense behind him now that there will be even less hits.

Honestly, I'm saying things about Britton now that I said about Chris Tillman early last season. I didn't think either of them were ever going to make it. Tillman looks pretty good to me, though.

Which is why I am still willing to give Britton more leash and see if he can turn things around. The kid has talent, for sure, and if he can figure out the mental part of the game, watch out.

That said, I'm fine about sending Hoes off. No room for him in a crowded OF. However, I'm extremely dissapointed about seeing Hader go.

Why? What if he were three years away from the bigs? Maybe he never makes

it to the show. Norris is better than Hammel. IMO

Its nice that he is controlled through 2015 and our defense should help him, but...

...he isn't that good of a pitcher. Not even sure he is an upgrade over Hammel. I wouldn't be shocked at all if we had to move him into the bullpen next year like we had to do with Hunter due to ineffectiveness.

This is the same way he went about it when he was with the Red Sox. Started trading off some assets he inherited to get key big league pieces. In the process got one of the greatest SP's of all-time with P. Martinez. He gave up a top 5 prospect in Carl Pavano in that deal too. Before there is any panic amongst the O's fans. Remember the guy has a track record of acquiring talent. What he stunk with was communication in Beantown.

Great job Dan. I don't like giving up Hader and I didn't like giving up Delmonico, but it's not like we're just giving them away. We're selling them, and we've sold them well. I've been a big support of DD since he came on board. Go get 'em Dan.

Archived