O's get Bud Norris

Greg

Brittany Ghiroli ‏@Britt_Ghiroli 5m

Duquette able to get Norris without trading any top tier prospects. Houston also really wanted LHP Zach Britton who is currently in Triple A

Boy that would have been a disaster IMO. Even with Britton being damaged goods, his upside is still infinitely higher than Norris.

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lets not go overboard, he is a right-handed pitcher who has a standard lefty/righty split. Should OPACY prevent the Orioles from having any right-handed starters?

The Orioles have had only 1 RHP with a season WAR of 5.0 or greater in Camden Yards (Mussina 6 times).

...not that it means much when the majority of teams to play in Camden have been crappy especially from a pitching standpoint.... unless you relate the park to the performance...

I am very ambivalent about this trade. Norris is NOT a game changer, I'm not sure if Hammel really is hurt and I think Hoes and Hader were

good prospects, but a distance away from MLB . Hoes will start tonight against us, so that could be interesting.I think this club REALLY needs

a bat and we didnt get one for DH. They must think Pearce is the solution(I don't). And Urrutia is MIA. I dont know why. He did hit decently.

The other thing is, Steve Johnson could be a help within a week or two. He is rehabbing at Bowie Saturday and looks good.You also have

Britton, Gausman and with call ups ED-ROD and maybe even Wada. I think we need a at more than people realize. Nick isnt getting extra

base hits. Wieters and Manny have gotten quiet and Crush is hard to expect to dominate game in and game out. I worry that this team has

hit a wall offensively and Im also not sure BRob and Flaherty gives us enough with the bat. Id strongly consider Schoop if he continues to

rake in Norfolk. On a 1-10 scale, 10 being best, Id give this trade a 6.

I'm with you Roy - solid move but doesn't get us deep into the playoffs.

I guess it depends on who you think is better Britton or Hader.

Most of the time, I'll side with the player that's closest to the big leagues unless there is a sizable gulf. Britton has shown that he has the talent to be VERY good at the major league level. Hader was never close enough to tell.

I guess it depends on who you think is better Britton or Hader.

Well, Britton is major league ready. It is a long distance from where Josh is to where Zach is. Even at AA, Britton was an astronomical prospect. I think Dan stayed in the pot with the winning hand.

Man I really don't know about this trade. Houston should really like Hoes and Hader, and I'm sure they'll make good use of that compensation pick - which is effectively another top ten prospect. That's a lot to pay for a guy whose 2013 SIERA is 4.50, who has a 92 career ERA+, whose ERA+ even this year is just 104 (the best of his career). His HR/FB is also incredibly low, by far the lowest of his career, and even just by normalizing that he becomes a bad pitcher, and it should do more than normalize pitching at Camden Yards. Ugh. The more I look at Norris' stats the more I wonder whether he's even an upgrade over Hammel. Signs point to no, honestly.

Man I really don't know about this trade. Houston should really like Hoes and Hader, and I'm sure they'll make good use of that compensation pick - which is effectively another top ten prospect. That's a lot to pay for a guy whose 2013 SIERA is 4.50, who has a 92 career ERA+, whose ERA+ even this year is just 104 (the best of his career). His HR/FB is also incredibly low, by far the lowest of his career, and even just by normalizing that he becomes a bad pitcher, and it should do more than normalize pitching at Camden Yards. Ugh. The more I look at Norris' stats the more I wonder whether he's even an upgrade over Hammel. Signs point to no, honestly.

I was with you a few hours ago. However, with the news that Hammel is on the DL, the necessity of Norris makes a lot more sense.

He is a #4. We have a top 3 that can carry us.

We need Norris and Feldman to get us to the playoffs. Good starts that don't destroy the bullpen.

Tillman, Chen, and Gonzo are what will make or break us once we're in the playoffs...hopefully helped by a bully that isn't wiped out (see above). Wouldn't hurt if the guys hit just a little ths year too.

Hammel 2013/Career -- Norris 2013/Career

Sierra 4.66/4.31 -- 4.50/3.99

ERA+ 80/93 -- 104/92 remember higher numbers are better in ERA+

HR/FB 13.4/10.9 -- 6.9/10.7

Using the stats you used, 2013 statistical Bud Norris is better than 2013 Jason Hammel. Career's are similar, but I would assume Bud Norris will have years more like 2013 the next 2 years rather than his career numbers.

Here's the free part of Keith Law's analysis. Sounds like he thinks the O's did fairly well.

The Orioles' acquisition of Bud Norris gives them needed starting pitching depth, especially with Jason Hammel going on the DL on Wednesday, but also could help bolster their right-handed relief corps, if everyone comes back healthy and available. The Astros get a 4A position player, who gets on base, and a lottery-ticket lefty with arm strength but a long ways to go.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/keith-law/post?id=1071

Archived