O's get Bud Norris

Greg

I think back to the fiasco that was our GM search and couldn't be much happier about what DD has done since. I admit I skeptical to say the very least.

I think we all were. Yeah we knew about his role in developing the Expos and later the Red Sox but he had been out of baseball a while. I admit it. I wanted LaCava or DiPolo, two

young assistant GMs who I thought would be eager to prove themselves as the head honcho. Well, LaCava istill asst GM in Toronto and Anaheim has been a huge disappointing despite getting Pujols and Hamilton the past two years. So yeah Dan's been great.

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is the same way he went about it when he was with the Red Sox. Started trading off some assets he inherited to get key big league pieces. In the process got one of the greatest SP's of all-time with P. Martinez. He gave up a top 5 prospect in Carl Pavano in that deal too. Before there is any panic amongst the O's fans. Remember the guy has a track record of acquiring talent. What he stunk with was communication in Beantown.

Didn't he get Varitek from the Mariners for Heathcliff Solcumb? That was a good trade too.

Rich Dubroff ‏@RichDubroffCSN 37s

Showalter announced that they had acquired Bud Norris for LJ Hoes, Josh Hader and an international draft slot. #Orioles

So no comp pick?

Well remember, prospects are nothing more than commodities. At the end of the day it's about winning major league baseball games and if the Orioles can move some to get major league players that help this and the next it's a good thing. they haven't moved one of the A prospects yet and as long as that doesn't occur I'm fine with these moves. It's take quality to get quality. At least we have some guys other organizations value and that's a good sign.

Tony, help me out here. I don't know whether to be happy or sad about acquiring Norris. Forget what the O's traded away. I am more concerned about what the O's got.

6.62 ERA away from Minute Maid Park sounds pretty sour. Is Norris better than Hammel? What do you have on this guy? Any help would be appreciated.

Danny Knobler ‏@DannyKnoblerCBS 12s

L.J. Hoes in lineup for Astros tonight.

I wonder how often teams make a trade where the player plays the other team the same day? I'm sure its happened before but I can't think of any.

The problem is that Bud Norris hasn't proven he can "do it" at the ML level. In fact, if you look at his minor league stats, he didn't prove he could do it there either. The more I find out about Norris, the more I think this isn't a trade that will help us.

So we should have called Freddy Garcia up and asked him to suit up?

What a lot of people are not looking at is Norris might have the most potential on our staff outside of Tillman. Take a look at some of the games he's pitched on YouTube and you can see why he was sought after. The guy has lights out stuff. I don't know much about him, but watching a minute of his videos pitching and you can immediately see what the scouts see.

Rich Dubroff ‏@RichDubroffCSN 37s

Showalter announced that they had acquired Bud Norris for LJ Hoes, Josh Hader and an international draft slot. #Orioles

So no comp pick?

Is it Int'l slot? That would be a lot easier to take since we're not going to use it anyway.

Archived