O's get Bud Norris

Greg

Assuming we don't screw up Bud Norris somehow (he's still young enough for the O's to completely ruin him, IMO - LOL), is Scott Erickson a good comp for him? If he really can pound the sinker into our defense, he should do well. He'll probably still have days here and there where he gets touched up if the sinker isn't effective, but when it's on, he should do well here.

His GB% is 39%. For the fraction of Erickson's career we have those splits for his was 55%. So, no, I wouldn't say they're particularly comparable.

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In his MLB career he has almost two full seasons worth of innings on the road (316) and he has an ERA of 5.46. And that's mostly in the National League.

We'll see. He might be better than Hammel. I hope he is.

It sounds like OPACY could further hurt his numbers. He's not good against lefties, and OPACY is a good HR park for LH.

I still think we can get a bat. I wouldn't be surprised to see us go after Morse still.
I don't have any inside knowledge (or much knowledge of any kind for that matter) but I believe if they go get a DH it will be a waiver deal later in August. After the 15th for sure.

I wonder if Norris will start tomorrow or Friday. Since he was scheduled to pitch yesterday, it might make sense to have him start tomorrow and pitch Tillman on Friday instead of having him go 9 days between starts.

I guess it's a matter of whether HOU would have an advantage against him since they played with him, or if he would have an advantage in knowing their weaknesses. I don't know which way that would work.

It sounds like OPACY could further hurt his numbers. He's not good against lefties, and OPACY is a good HR park for LH.

Lets not go overboard, he is a right-handed pitcher who has a standard lefty/righty split. Should OPACY prevent the Orioles from having any right-handed starters?

Lets not go overboard, he is a right-handed pitcher who has a standard lefty/righty split. Should OPACY prevent the Orioles from having any right-handed starters?

I'm mostly going off of what I read here:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/orioles-acquire-bud-norris-and-his-platoon-problems/

He's getting hammered by LH this year (.859 OPS against) vs. RH (.620)

I know SSS and all, but the article explains how that could be related to a drop in FB velocity and over-reliance on a CH vs. LH instead of a SL he would throw.

His GB% is 39%. For the fraction of Erickson's career we have those splits for his was 55%. So, no, I wouldn't say they're particularly comparable.

That seems VERY high. Where does that GB% rank all time? Particularly among starters.

I'm mostly going off of what I read here:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/orioles-acquire-bud-norris-and-his-platoon-problems/

He's getting hammered by LH this year (.859 OPS against) vs. RH (.620)

I know SSS and all, but the article explains how that could be related to a drop in FB velocity and over-reliance on a CH vs. LH instead of a SL he would throw.

Ah, I was looking at his career numbers.

I have to say I'm rather disappointed with giving up the comp pick. Unless we go deep into the playoffs this season I think we'll look back on this trade regretfully.

I'm guessing the choice was Ed Rod plus, then Britton plus, then worked out to be Hader plus the pick. I'd rather keep Britton and Ed Rod.

I think it also comes with Buck and DD telling Britton "Look son, we chose you over these other guys. Get your act together and prove us right."

Aggressive move. I like Hoes - he looks like he's learned to get on base consistently, something most O's hitters haven't. I wish we could have gotten them to take Avery, instead.

I hope Adair can teach Norris how to get lefties out.

And, I hope our offense finds itself again (less flailing at balls would help.). Even good pitchers can't win consistently without run support.

That seems VERY high. Where does that GB% rank all time? Particularly among starters.

Jim Johnson's career GB% is 57.5% (I know you said among starters, but I thought I'd just throw it out there)

Dennis Springer looks like the winner with 75%. Brandon Webb was 64.2%. Was he nasty or what when he was healthy

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=pit&lg=all&qual=y&type=8&season=2013&month=0&season1=1871&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&sort=14,d

Archived