O's get Bud Norris

Greg

I'm fairly "meh" on this trade. I like Hoes more than most, being a fan of high OBP ballplayers. Hader was also intriguing, thought he is 3 years away from being ready to help a big league club. This is a "now" deal, and Norris is having a pretty good year, though I don't know what to make of his home/away splits. The fact that Norris is under team control though 2015 is a big plus. Overall, I am fine with it because we needed pitching help, but it's not like Norris is a huge game-changer.

It's notable that all six of Norris' non-decisions were quality starts. My hope for him the rest of the way is that he can go .500+. I'm not really expecting anything more than that.

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Will you even cheer for Norris when he takes the mound for the O's? You seem so

upset about this deal. Hoes is a fourth outfielder and Hader maybe a never. The

team had to address pitching. Lee would have cost the team a lot more and so

would Peavy. The team got a pitcher that can help. IMO

The Orioles still own, Bundy, Gausman, Britton, Urrutia, ERodriguez, CWalker, and Jon Schoop. I think that is great.

Since Norris is under control at a very reasonable contract through 2015 I doubt this. Buck said it was an international slot not a comp pick, that was included.

Yeah, but I think that's been cleared up now, and we're getting he international slot and giving up the comp pick.

If you had asked me in April of 2012 "would you decimate the farm for the 2nd Wild Card spot this year" I would have said "Show me where to sign and I'll go pick up the guys we trade and drive them to their new cities if you want". A year and a half of success hasn't changed my perspective. I hate giving up Hader because I think he has upside, I didn't like giving up Delmonico, I'm not that high on either Feldman or K-Rod - yet in the end I like the overall direction because we got pieces that will contribute while we have a window and we did it without giving up any of our 4 legit prospects (Gausman, Bundy, Schoop, E-Rod) or either of Matusz/Britton - both of whom I hold on to increasingly irrational hope for as SPs at the MLB level. I think Norris will be good for the Orioles - though you could certainly argue I shouldn't like him better than Feldman - I do anyway - I love the historical k/9 numbers even though he's down a little in that dept. this year and I like that we have him for 2 more years. I like the composition of this team - and I always feel like there's no greater playoffs crap-shoot than the MLB playoffs. If you get in you have a chance to win it all - and I think we've made good moves to get in. Now to finish beating up on Houston and start gaining ground on Boston and Tampa.

Hammel getting DL'd - been dealing with a flexor mass. Getting an MRI.

Im late inthis thread so it might already have been mentioned A flexor mass was the first diagnosis for Bundy. Might not be as serious... DD may have saved our bacon.

I am very ambivalent about this trade. Norris is NOT a game changer, I'm not sure if Hammel really is hurt and I think Hoes and Hader were

good prospects, but a distance away from MLB . Hoes will start tonight against us, so that could be interesting.I think this club REALLY needs

a bat and we didnt get one for DH. They must think Pearce is the solution(I don't). And Urrutia is MIA. I dont know why. He did hit decently.

The other thing is, Steve Johnson could be a help within a week or two. He is rehabbing at Bowie Saturday and looks good.You also have

Britton, Gausman and with call ups ED-ROD and maybe even Wada. I think we need a at more than people realize. Nick isnt getting extra

base hits. Wieters and Manny have gotten quiet and Crush is hard to expect to dominate game in and game out. I worry that this team has

hit a wall offensively and Im also not sure BRob and Flaherty gives us enough with the bat. Id strongly consider Schoop if he continues to

rake in Norfolk. On a 1-10 scale, 10 being best, Id give this trade a 6.

We're not gonna get a game-changer with Hoes and Hader. I'm sure we could have had Cliff Lee for Bundy or Gausman, as an example of a terrible game-changing trade. But I think a 6 is fair, and I would have liked a bat too.

Assuming we don't screw up Bud Norris somehow (he's still young enough for the O's to completely ruin him, IMO - LOL), is Scott Erickson a good comp for him? If he really can pound the sinker into our defense, he should do well. He'll probably still have days here and there where he gets touched up if the sinker isn't effective, but when it's on, he should do well here.

We're not gonna get a game-changer with Hoes and Hader. I'm sure we could have had Cliff Lee for Bundy or Gausman, as an example of a terrible game-changing trade. But I think a 6 is fair, and I would have liked a bat too.

I still think we can get a bat. I wouldn't be surprised to see us go after Morse still.

Pitching splits are not that meaningful, especially in a one year scope. Aren't the stat guys always wary of small sample sizes? Except when it suits their purposes.

In his MLB career he has almost two full seasons worth of innings on the road (316) and he has an ERA of 5.46. And that's mostly in the National League.

We'll see. He might be better than Hammel. I hope he is.

Ok. Here is the official announcement.

The Orioles announced that they have acquired RHP BUD NORRIS and International Signing Bonus Slot #91 from the Houston Astros in exchange for OF L.J. HOES, minor league LHP JOSH HADER and Baltimore's 2014 First Year Player Draft Competitive Balance Pick, Round A (selection #2).

In his MLB career he has almost two full seasons worth of innings on the road (316) and he has an ERA of 5.46. And that's mostly in the National League.

We'll see. He might be better than Hammel. I hope he is.

Good to see you're alive, man.

I think he will be better than Hammel, but only marginally.

Archived