O's get Bud Norris

Greg

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So when will Norris make his first start

With the home/away splits... should he pitch tonight for the O's

I wonder if he'll get the start tomorrow? Don't think tonight is a possibility but the Astros were intending on using him tomorrow.

And you would have to assume with an above average defense behind him now that there will be even less hits.

Not only has he had to pitche with one of the worst defenses the last few years. He also has to pitch with one of the worst offenses. When you are pitching and you don't think your team is going to score many runs it makes it that much harder to pitch because if you give up 2 runs that maybe to much for your offense to come back from. Pitching with a bad defense and a team that can't score has to be somewhat difficult. We really have no idea how he will handle pitching for a team that is better defensivly and can score runs just like we don't know how he will pitch in a pennet race. It could go either way.

above average defense is helpless when the ball is jacked out over the outfield wall.

That isn't completely true. How many runners are on base when the ball is jacked out over the wall determines the damage. Also, pitchers have a greater possibility of throwing a meatball when they have to throw more pitches in an inning. Giving a pitching a lower BABIP will help.

I have to say I'm rather disappointed with giving up the comp pick. Unless we go deep into the playoffs this season I think we'll look back on this trade regretfully.

Since Norris is under control at a very reasonable contract through 2015 I doubt this. Buck said it was an international slot not a comp pick, that was included.

I have to say I'm rather disappointed with giving up the comp pick. Unless we go deep into the playoffs this season I think we'll look back on this trade regretfully.

I think if we miss the playoffs the only trade I might come to regret is Delmonico for K-Rod. At least Norris will be under our control for a few more years and could potentially contribute to another playoff run.

That isn't completely true. How many runners are on base when the ball is jacked out over the wall determines the damage. Also, pitchers have a greater possibility of throwing a meatball when they have to throw more pitches in an inning. Giving a pitching a lower BABIP will help.

Ah, the old Jim Palmer, solo home runs are okay. :)

above average defense is helpless when the ball is jacked out over the outfield wall.

In 2013, he has only given up 0.79 HR per 9. In his career he gives up 1.11 per 9. Also, HR per flyball is 6.9% in 2013 which is very low and 10.7% career which is average.

Plus, you have to assume that a better defense gets more outs, which eliminates more at-bats that have a chance to be home runs.

Plus, he is considered to becoming into his prime soon - right?

that's because he's not exciting and we gave up a lot

Will you even cheer for Norris when he takes the mound for the O's? You seem so

upset about this deal. Hoes is a fourth outfielder and Hader maybe a never. The

team had to address pitching. Lee would have cost the team a lot more and so

would Peavy. The team got a pitcher that can help. IMO

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Bud Norris reportedly headed to the Orioles. Norris is 5-17 with a 6.62 ERA away from Houston over the last 2 seasons (8-5, 2.35 at HOU).</p>? ESPN Stats & Info (@ESPNStatsInfo) <a href="
">July 31, 2013</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

What about Jake Peavy's splits this year...

Split W L ERA

Home 5 0 2.59

Away 3 4 6.10 w

Archived