Are we going to miss the 80 stolen bases?

Frobby

Stolen bases just don't add up to much in the way of wins, even with two amazing stolen base guys with high percentages, it probably didn't even add up to one win for the entire season. It's Roberts' on-base percentage and extra base hits that we're going to miss. Patterson is pretty easy to replace in that department.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think he was referring to Aubrey Huff on talk radio in Tampa.

Nope. There's a video on youtube or Earl Weaver and an "Oriole's Report" where Earl fields questions from the listeners.

It was a line from that ribald explosion that, while filthy, is HYSTERICAL.

I believe I heard that this was just Earl and the radio host messing around and the bit, naturally, never aired.

Stolen bases just don't add up to much in the way of wins, even with two amazing stolen base guys with high percentages, it probably didn't even add up to one win for the entire season. It's Roberts' on-base percentage and extra base hits that we're going to miss. Patterson is pretty easy to replace in that department.
I think SB are much like closers. Over an entire season, the good and bad generally even out, or are slightly positive or negative depending on the overall quality of your base stealers / closers. But, they seem like they are much more important than they really are because they can have such big impacts on individual games.

It seems like one of those cases where the noise overwhelms the signal.

Nope. There's a video on youtube or Earl Weaver and an "Oriole's Report" where Earl fields questions from the listeners.

It was a line from that ribald explosion that, while filthy, is HYSTERICAL.

I believe I heard that this was just Earl and the radio host messing around and the bit, naturally, never aired.

Maybe I should have posted a few smileys in my response:D :D:D:D

I would like to think losing the stolen bases would not hurt the offense to much, but I don't see how it can't. Without adding more power to the lineup, the 2008 Orioles are going to be digging for runs with whatever meager tools can be found. Unless Huff, Hernandes, and Luke Scott can put up unexpectedly high SLG% and home runs, I think it will be 'little ball' in Baltimore. The lost of steals will adversely affect the teams ability to play this type of offense.

I would like to think losing the stolen bases would not hurt the offense to much, but I don't see how it can't. Without adding more power to the lineup, the 2008 Orioles are going to be digging for runs with whatever meager tools can be found. Unless Huff, Hernandes, and Luke Scott can put up unexpectedly high SLG% and home runs, I think it will be 'little ball' in Baltimore. The lost of steals will adversely affect the teams ability to play this type of offense.

I think this is a very realistic take.

And I'm glad you posted the question Frobby. When SB's are brought up there can be a pretty strong reaction among the numbers crowd to belittle their impact, and they can offer plenty of strong hypothetical evidence for slugging over little ball. But in reality, we don't have sluggers. If guys can't knock themselves to 2nd or 3rd, I guess they'll have to sprint over there when nobody's looking! That or we'll wait for those oh-so-common innings where 3 or more guys get hits.

I think we'll wind up missing the SB's.

From a fan perspective, of course. There is very little that I enjoy more than Robers toying with pitchers while getting his walking lead. It will mildly affect the offense because the percentages were good.

Markakis won't steal so much. Aloe of his steals were the backend of double steals with Roberts.

BRob: 36 SB's in 2006, 50 SB's in 2007

CPat: 45 SB's in 2006, 37 SB's in 2007

If neither player is back in 2008, how badly will we miss that basestealing ability in the lineup?

I doubt it, since we aren't going to be trading BRob and we will be re-signing CPat.:D

Markakis' date=' Redman. Its not like those 80 stolen bases made us any better in last few years.

Bring back the Earl Weaver "3 Run Homer"[/quote']

Earl had guys like Powell, Brooks and Frank, Eddie, Cal Singy. We have Huff Millar, Gibby, Scott Ramon and our only real hitter that drives the ball Markakis. We will need an ample supply of No Doz waiting for the three run bomb. Earl would have had a stroke waiting for the 3 Run poke with these guys. We need the speed.

IMO, what we will notice is the RBI total for Markakis dropping. He knocked in a lot of runs because Roberts and/or CPat stole a base to get into scoring position. That's one of the reasons I'm not totally sold on trading Roberts.

I could care less how many RBI's Markakis has. RBI is a completely meaningless stat.

We didn't have anyone who could drive them in once they got to second base and now we will have less.

In reality I would imagine it will be Markakis whose RBI numbers will dip, but his natural progression as a hitter should insure there is no drop off.

The key would be finding out how many of those 80 stolen bases scored due to a single by a batter. (They would score from first anyway from a double, triple, or HR). I can't imagine short of watching game film how you would find this though.

This also doesn't consider the fact that stealing baserunners give most pitchers problems. Forcing balls, and in some cases pitches that allowed basehits.

I think though you would get a general approximation of the bottom line with that statistic

I could care less how many RBI's Markakis has. RBI is a completely meaningless stat.

Not completely... there are only so many Joe Carters that can accrue exceptionally large RBI totals by virtue of their spot in the batting order alone.

But again, it is only telling on the margins, and we have much better statistics readily available.

Archived