Orioles announce Manny Machado will have reconstructive surgery on knee. 4-6 month rehab time.

Greg

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can't think of many professional athletes who choose major surgery over just resting and rehabbing if they had that option. They try to avoid surgery at all costs, no one chooses to go under the knife if they don't have to.

When you checked the MRI did you confirm that rest was the proper course? I had knee surgery and I can tell you that when all was said and done my knee was more sound than if I chose rest and rehab, which was also an option, though not recommended.

I hate to say "I saw this coming," but it does seem as if the O's tend to under diagnose injuries quite often. Ask Bundy and Britton. Reimold and Roberts. Betemit. How long do you want the list to go? And those are just recent injuries.

I'm glad he decided to do this rather than come back less than 100% and have him re-injure the knee and miss time in May, June, and July.

Will this make it more or less likely that they sign Roberts?

I'm hoping Machado will be better than ever. But I'd think that Roberts re signing is now about 99%. At worst to start the season we will have Flaherty at 3B and Roberts at 2b. Plus Buck will now have a reason to rest Manny and he wont have to play 162 next year.

I can't think of many professional athletes who choose major surgery over just resting and rehabbing if they had that option. They try to avoid surgery at all costs, no one chooses to go under the knife if they don't have to.

If I had an injury that could be rehabbed and have a weakened joint or if I could choose to have a surgery that would give me a great chance of having a strong joint once again, I am choosing surgery over the winter every time. I sprained my thumb catching a line drive. I played through it and resprained it often. I talked to my doctor after the season and he said rest or surgery. Rest "may" bring it back to full strength or you could have surgery and work it out were it is almost as good as new but it will take some work to strengthen it back up after. I chose resting and strengthening. This was 10 years ago, and now at 32 I have an arthritic thumb. Boy that pain and weakness I feel every day in it, I wish I would have had surgery. Now I can deal with it like an old person or have the joint fused with no guarantee that it ends the pain. And I was never close to being a professional athlete and dont have to use my joints each day to the extent as they do.

I am happy with the decision and am excited for this bad ending of the season to be over. He is young and can heal quicker than most even 5 years older than he is. Manny isnt a pitcher getting his rotator cuff worked on. If there was ever a time that this would happen to him, now would be one of the best times(although it is unfortunate for it to happen at all).

If I had an injury that could be rehabbed and have a weakened joint or if I could choose to have a surgery that would give me a great chance of having a strong joint once again, I am choosing surgery over the winter every time. I sprained my thumb catching a line drive. I played through it and resprained it often. I talked to my doctor after the season and he said rest or surgery. Rest "may" bring it back to full strength or you could have surgery and work it out were it is almost as good as new but it will take some work to strengthen it back up after. I chose resting and strengthening. This was 10 years ago, and now at 32 I have an arthritic thumb. Boy that pain and weakness I feel every day in it, I wish I would have had surgery. Now I can deal with it like an old person or have the joint fused with no guarantee that it ends the pain. And I was never close to being a professional athlete and dont have to use my joints each day to the extent as they do.

I am happy with the decision and am excited for this bad ending of the season to be over. He is young and can heal quicker than most even 5 years older than he is. Manny isnt a pitcher getting his rotator cuff worked on. If there was ever a time that this would happen to him, now would be one of the best times(although it is unfortunate for it to happen at all).

Surgery could have cause the arthritic problem as well. "Fixing" a problem is temporary in sports. Scoping a knee is ignoring the underlying problem. Fixing a joint that's heavily used such as a thumb, knee, wrist, elbow and so on doesn't mean the injury won't happen again or won't hurt in the future.

Manny can have this surgery because it fixes a long term problem if he adds muscle around his knee. Which is something he should have been doing the first time he injured it.

Yeah because it is true. Are you actually claiming that they choose to have surgery when it is not needed? LOL.

Ok, so this really has to be on a case by case basis. Manny got injured and he can go under the knife and still return for opening day. This is not the same as an old player rolling the dice on rest and rehab being the better solution nor is it the same situation as a guy getting hurt near the start of the season and wanting to give it a go. Manny hasn't got his big pay day yet and missing an entire year if he injures the knee again (higher odds of that happening if he doesn't get the surgery) wouldn't be favorable for the young man. Manny could not require surgery and surgery could be the best option for the long term health of his career.

Archived