Orioles announce Manny Machado will have reconstructive surgery on knee. 4-6 month rehab time.

Greg

He will sign a long term contract well before he hits Free Agency.

I don't think he will as a 3B. He wants to play SS. Obviously, they won't be moving him to SS for the 2014 season. Maybe they'll move him after next season, which will be the last before he's arb eligible. Will he sign a long term deal after 2015, only three years from free agency?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Long time lurker, first time poster and wanted to share some insight of mine on this injury. In March of this year, my wife dislocated and chipped her kneecap, tore her MPFL completely off her kneecap, and rubbed some cartilage off. Unlike Manny, she didn't have a choice and absolutely needed to get surgery done. She was off crutches and back to walking normally in 3 to 4 months after going to rehab multiple times a week. Obviously, Manny needs to be able to do more than just walk in a similar time frame, but if it was possible for him to forego surgery, he may be able to recover quicker (add in the fact that he's a world-class athlete and has world-class trainers to help his recovery). We've been told that many times these types of injuries occur because of a physical pre-disposition (in my wife's case, a malformed patela). I believe that surgery is Manny's best option to reduce further chances of his injury happening again.

Let's hope for the best and wish him a long and healthy career!

Long time lurker, first time poster and wanted to share some insight of mine on this injury. In March of this year, my wife dislocated and chipped her kneecap, tore her MPFL completely off her kneecap, and rubbed some cartilage off. Unlike Manny, she didn't have a choice and absolutely needed to get surgery done. She was off crutches and back to walking normally in 3 to 4 months after going to rehab multiple times a week. Obviously, Manny needs to be able to do more than just walk in a similar time frame, but if it was possible for him to forego surgery, he may be able to recover quicker (add in the fact that he's a world-class athlete and has world-class trainers to help his recovery). We've been told that many times these types of injuries occur because of a physical pre-disposition (in my wife's case, a malformed patela). I believe that surgery is Manny's best option to reduce further chances of his injury happening again.

Let's hope for the best and wish him a long and healthy career!

Thanks for the information and welcome to the board.

I hate to say "I saw this coming," but it does seem as if the O's tend to under diagnose injuries quite often. Ask Bundy and Britton. Reimold and Roberts. Betemit. How long do you want the list to go? And those are just recent injuries.

I'm glad he decided to do this rather than come back less than 100% and have him re-injure the knee and miss time in May, June, and July.

Wow. Are you a doctor? Not trying to be an ass. Just wondering if you are.

Glad to see this being addressed surgically since I'm never too enthralled with the old rest and rehab for injuries that that severe. I'm glad to see Manny taking this on and getting it fixed in time for him to have a chance at starting on opening day next year. Even if he misses a little time, that's a lot better than him re-injuring it in May and missing the rest of the season.

Anyone find it a little disconcerting that Manny had to (independent of Orioles??) seek out many opinions before he found a doctor that recommended surgery.

To me it was a no brainer that a knee that had been dislocated on two occasions would need to be surgically stabilized, but the O's seemed to want to go the rehab approach that I believe would have made re-injury very likely.

I'm glad Manny took care of this

Anyone find it a little disconcerting that Manny had to (independent of Orioles??) seek out many opinions before he found a doctor that recommended surgery.

To me it was a no brainer that a knee that had been dislocated on two occasions would need to be surgically stabilized, but the O's seemed to want to go the rehab approach that I believe would have made re-injury very likely.

I'm glad Manny took care of this

This is technically not a dislocated knee joint but a tear of the ligament attached to the patella and the risk is recurrent patellar dislocation. It is not disconcerting at all as there are a fair amount of pros and cons regarding the timing and indications for surgical repair. And surgery can also go wrong just as rehab can sometimes be ineffective.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21664791

Manny is in good hands and will get the best care out there.

Why would it be disconcerting? Doesn't it make sense to get a variety of opinions and make a choice based on the best available evidence? Why do you think Manny had to go out on his own to get the surgical recommendation? How do you know it wasn't in coordination with the Orioles?

Just shows how much luck factors in to baseball. I thought of both our injured guys, Dylan and Manny, as I watched the 2011 draftees Gerrit Cole and Sonny Gray pitching in the recent big games. Hope we get both our young stars back soon.

I'm still suspicious of the streak of injuries to Oriole pitching prospects really being all about luck.

Archived