Adam Jones 2nd worst in MLB at swinging at Ball Four

Frobby

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He walked 25 times all season, so it was a pretty high percentage.

Actually, that is an extremely high percentage. Jones had 25 walks, of which 4 were intentional and 21 were unintentional. Therefore, he swung at ball four 16 out of possible 37 times. I would guess that was probably the highest percentage in baseball.

By contrast, Josh Hamilton received 47 walks, of which 4 were intentional and 43 were unintentional. He swung at ball four 17 out of 60 times. So, although Hamilton did swing at ball four once more than Jones, his percentage was much lower, since he reached a ball four pitch a lot more often.

All that said, I'm happy with Jones as a player, taking the total package, good and bad. This could be a real problem later in his career, though.

I'm curious how many times he swung at ball 4 and fouled it off or made an out. I like to start watching the O's on my dvr about an hour after the game starts. This way I can fast forward through commercials and Jone's at bats. I just get too frustrated watching him, especially after he made that remark about not getting paid to walk. To me that translated to, screw the team I'm getting paid.

He is what he is. I am not concerned about him or worried in the least about him.

Swung at pitches out of the zone 16 times in how many plate appearances? I am

sorry I just don't understand the concern. What were his home run numbers? His

RBI numbers? Also a GG winner. He is a good player. He is not Hall of Fame but

I sure am glad he is on the O's. IMO

Exactly what I think. He wins a GG and a Silver Slugger (most likely) and people still complain. What does everyone want, Tris Speaker?

Tom Waits

He lifted that from the great poet Rainer Maria Rilke, who said something very close to the first two lines in response to his lover's suggestion that he undergo psychoanalysis with Freud (she had) to finally vanquish his personal demons. Tennessee Williams echoed it in one of his interviews: ""If I got rid of my demons, I'd lose my angels." Apparently Rilke also wrote something similar in one of his "Duino Elegies."

The lover, by the way, was the brilliant Lou Andreas-Salome, who eventually became a psychoanalyst and was the lover of not only Rilke, but Nietzsche and Freud as well. There's a famous photograph of her in a cart with a whip, aimed not at a horse, but Nietzsche and his friend Paul Ree:

friedrich-nietzsche-paul-ree-lou-andreas-salome.jpg

To the people who say it's not that big a deal with him swinging at balls. Do you realize how much better he'd be if he didn't swing at balls? He makes a pitcher's job very easy by swinging at bad pitches. I swear if I was a pitcher, I'd never throw Jones a strike.

Then you would walk him every time. Unless you throw it close. Then he would homer off of you. He is what he is. And that is certainly a top 25 hitter in the Majors.

Archived