Comp pick: Rockies sign Hawkins!

bigbird

Are you sure that we get compensation? With the new CBA, the deadline to offer arbitration was moved up to 12/1. The O's apparently didn't offer him arbitration. Part of this may come down to when he is considered signed for draft compensation purposes. If he's considered signed on 11/30 then good, but if he's signed on 12/1 or 12/2 we may not see anything.

Here's hoping that we get the pick, but I am not convinced.

I guess it depends on what time on 12/1 the dealine is. If it was 12:00am we may have missed the boat. But if it's 11:59pm then we still have time to offer arbitration. In the 2nd case we'd be complete idiots not to offer now that we know another team will sign him.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Are you sure that we get compensation? With the new CBA, the deadline to offer arbitration was moved up to 12/1. The O's apparently didn't offer him arbitration. Part of this may come down to when he is considered signed for draft compensation purposes. If he's considered signed on 11/30 then good, but if he's signed on 12/1 or 12/2 we may not see anything.

Here's hoping that we get the pick, but I am not convinced.

According to the article, Hawkins and the Rockies have already agreed to terms:

The Rockies filled their glaring late-inning void in the bullpen, agreeing to terms with veteran right-handed reliever LaTroy Hawkins, the Rocky Mountain News has learned.

I have to think the Orioles were following this issue and the need to offer arbitration.

FWIW from Rosenthal:

Another problem with the Orioles signing three middle-inning relievers for $41.5 million is that two of their additions will cost them their second- and third-round draft picks in '07; right-handers Danys Baez and Chad Bradford both were Type A free agents. The Orioles, however, will gain back a sandwich pick between the first and second rounds when the Rockies sign free-agent right-hander LaTroy Hawkins, a move that is imminent according to the Rocky Mountain News. Hawkins is a Type B free agent.

link

I guess it depends on what time on 12/1 the dealine is. If it was 12:00am we may have missed the boat. But if it's 11:59pm then we still have time to offer arbitration. In the 2nd case we'd be complete idiots not to offer now that we know another team will sign him.

And the answer is 11pm (source below though unrelated directly to the O's)

The Rangers want to be sure that if they can't re-sign RHP Vicente Padilla, they at least get a draft pick for him. So the club is expected to offer Padilla, a Type B free agent, arbitration before today's 11 p.m. deadline. If Padilla signs with another club, the Rangers would get a sandwich pick between the first and second rounds of next year's draft.

http://www.benmaller.com/#mlb_rumors_notes

Thanks for that post, Baltimoron. Rosenthal saying that makes me feel a lot more comfortable - though more verification is still needed if we're going to feel 100% sure.

And as someone said, we owe a big favor to the Rockies - even though it didn't cost them anything extra. Maybe we do something similar for them with a type B free agent next year - one of those wink wink deals. Sure it's shady, but as long as it's within the rules, I don't have a problem with it.

Even though it was just lucky on our part, we'll essentially have only lost the equivalent of our 3rd round pick for our relief pitcher signing and will have improved our "2nd" round pick from an actual 2nd rounder to a Supplemental between rounds 1 & 2. In the end that's pretty cool.

And as someone said, we owe a big favor to the Rockies - even though it didn't cost them anything extra. Maybe we do something similar for them with a type B free agent next year - one of those wink wink deals. Sure it's shady, but as long as it's within the rules, I don't have a problem with it. ...............

Since you can't trade draft choices in MLB like you can in other sports, this makes me wonder if there is a trade brewing and this draft pick was arranged as part of our compensation. There is no logical reason for a team to allow another team to take a top 30-40 draft prospect out of the talent pool for nothing.

Since you can't trade draft choices in MLB like you can in other sports, this makes me wonder if there is a trade brewing and this draft pick was arranged as part of our compensation. There is no logical reason for a team to allow another team to take a top 30-40 draft prospect out of the talent pool for nothing.

One man's "no logical reason" is .....

How about this for logic ...

- the Rockies want to sign Hawkins for $3.5M.

- if the Os offer arbitration and Hawkins, what are the chances that Hawkins accepts since he could make more than $3.5M

- it costs the Rockies absolutely nothing to sign Hawkins

So, from the Rockies' perspective, why not sign Hawkins now? Why even risk a 25% chance that the Os will offer arbitration? If you ask me, the "no logical reason" would have applied if the Rockies had actually waited to see if the Os were going to offer arbitraton - and then lost him as a result.

If you ask me, the real question should have been, why would LaTroy Hawkins not wait another day to see if he could be offered and accept arbitration and make more $? To which a reasonable answer would be, I am more comfortable in Colorado, I would not now be so far away from the closer's role as I am in Baltimore, etc.

One man's "no logical reason" is .....

How about this for logic ...

- the Rockies want to sign Hawkins for $3.5M.

- if the Os offer arbitration and Hawkins, what are the chances that Hawkins accepts since he could make more than $3.5M

- it costs the Rockies absolutely nothing to sign Hawkins

So, from the Rockies' perspective, why not sign Hawkins now? Why even risk a 25% chance that the Os will offer arbitration? If you ask me, the "no logical reason" would have applied if the Rockies had actually waited to see if the Os were going to offer arbitraton - and then lost him as a result.

If you ask me, the real question should have been, why would LaTroy Hawkins not wait another day to see if he could be offered and accept arbitration and make more $? To which a reasonable answer would be, I am more comfortable in Colorado, I would not now be so far away from the closer's role as I am in Baltimore, etc.

Orioles declined to offer arbitration to RHP LaTroy Hawkins

Oopps

Orioles declined to offer arbitration to RHP LaTroy Hawkins

Oopps

Yeah... rotoworld really ripped the O's on this one

Orioles declined to offer arbitration to RHP LaTroy Hawkins, LHP Bruce Chen, INF Chris Gomez, 1B Kevin Millar, RHP Russ Ortiz, 3B Fernando Tatis and C Chris Widger.

Such a terribly run organization. Hawkins is going to be a Rockie, probably on Saturday, and the offer of arbitration wouldn't change the Colorado's mind about signing him, as he's only a Type B free agent. So, the Orioles just gave away a supplemental first-round pick for absolutely no reason.

Apparently I"m not the only dope. I wasn't sure of the name and typed "Worshack" into the search engine. When I saw multiple references to "The Worshack Test" I figured I was right after all. Negatism and now this. :o

No wonder El Gordo keeps torturing me with literary, mythical, and historical references. :mad:

Yes indeed it is Rorschach. Try this one : http://look.onemonkey.org/Rorschach.jpg . I see a *****cat? No it's a minkey. :D

Yeah... rotoworld really ripped the O's on this one

So, not offering arbitration to a reliever that they had zero room for now is the epitome of a terrible organization? I think Rotoworld should stick to the fantasy baseball and let the scouts take care of the amateur draft.

So, not offering arbitration to a reliever that they had zero room for now is the epitome of a terrible organization? I think Rotoworld should stick to the fantasy baseball and let the scouts take care of the amateur draft.

Except they are right. If the O's knew that Hawkins was going to be signing and didn't offer arbitration they just gave away a draft pick for no good reason - after already surrendering 2 picks on mediocre releivers. The only chance they have of being consistently relevant is through developing their own talent, which is much harder to do without picks. They just bought themsleves a couple of season's worth of being "okay" while getting back on the Lee Lacy / Fred Lynn / Ray Knight treadmill. Great. Worst case scenario is Hawkins accepts and you trade him to the Rockies for a PTNL.

I can't wait to hear from Roch or BB why we didn't offer Hawkins arbitration, especially when he was going to sign with the Rockies. I guess they plan on finding a gem in the 4th round. This is supposed to be one of the most deepest drafts in years and they gave away a pick. They'd better make up for it at the Winter Meetings!

I can't wait to hear from Roch or BB why we didn't offer Hawkins arbitration, especially when he was going to sign with the Rockies. I guess they plan on finding a gem in the 4th round. This is supposed to be one of the most deepest drafts in years and they gave away a pick. They'd better make up for it at the Winter Meetings!

How about a very good chance Hawkins accepts abritration where he stays with the Orioles for about $5 million vs switching clubs for $3.5 million.

Archived