Comp pick: Rockies sign Hawkins!

bigbird

So the Os have the 1st supplemental pick. Anybody confirm?

No the Cubs have the first pick regardless because they had the worst record out of the teams with a supplemental pick, the O's would have the 2nd if Hawkins signs today and the Nats would have the third pick.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know I'll never find the article again since I've read so many lately. But, basically, it was saying that front offices weren't as concerned this year about losing draft choices because next year's amateur draft was pretty thin. Perhaps its just a case of the writer being as ill-informed as I am on such things.

I read something similar but it was referring to specifically the college class. Maybe they aren't as concerned as the list of players who might help out quickly is thin.

Do the supplmental picks go by record or by the ranking of the FA lost?

Records I believe. I posted something about it above.

#1 Tampa#2 Kansas City#3 Chicago Cubs#4 Pittsburgh#5 Baltimore#6 Washington#7 Milwaukee#8 Colorado#9 Arizona#10 San Francisco (the Cardinals rainout cost them a shot at #9)#11 Seattle#12 Florida#13 Cleveland#14 Atlanta#15 Cincinnati#16 Texas#17 Houston#18 St. Louis#19 Philadelphia#20 Boston#21 Toronto#22 Los Angeles Dodgers#23 San Diego#24 Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim#25 Chicago White Sox#26 Oakland#27 Detroit#28 Minnesota#29 New York Mets#30 New York Yankees

You're missing that Dec 1, is the deadline for offering arbitration and it was announced that Hawkins was signing with the Rockies on November 30. I'm not sure how official it is. If it's official then the O's should receive a pick. Not sure if they have to officially offer arbitration to get that pick or not. Some seem to think not. If it's not official, it would still seem the O's should offer arbitration as the signing seems imminent and the Rockies have nothing to lose (picks) by signing him anyway.

Worst case scenario - if we do have to formally offer arbitration and Colorado decided to back out of the signing (if he didn't actually sign -if they just agreed on the contract), the O's could trade him to the Rockies for a crappy prospect just so they're not "stuck" with Hawkins. We wouldn't get the supplemental pick but we also wouldn't be forced to keep Hawkins.

DOH! I always thought the horns were some sort of headwrap or hat or something. Never mind.:o

LOL, don't feel bad. Since I know what it is now, its easy to see it...but before, it always looked to me like it was an open mail box with a raccoon coming out of it. The old eyes sure do play tricks...glad I don't have to renew my driver's license for a while yet!

Apparently I"m not the only dope. I wasn't sure of the name and typed "Worshack" into the search engine. When I saw multiple references to "The Worshack Test" I figured I was right after all. Negatism and now this. :o

No wonder El Gordo keeps torturing me with literary, mythical, and historical references. :mad:

I think we're both wrong. I think its actually rorschach. Who knew???:o

Are you sure that we get compensation? With the new CBA, the deadline to offer arbitration was moved up to 12/1. The O's apparently didn't offer him arbitration. Part of this may come down to when he is considered signed for draft compensation purposes. If he's considered signed on 11/30 then good, but if he's signed on 12/1 or 12/2 we may not see anything.

Here's hoping that we get the pick, but I am not convinced.

You must be a sream with the Worshack test! :)

BTW, I see the racoon too! Or is it a cat? LOL

Since I'm telling on myself today...I guess I'm just as bad with acronyms. TonySoprano uses WADR quite a bit, and I've always interpreted it as "what a dumb response"...this week I finally figured out he is really using it for "with all due respect". I really need to get out more...

Archived