Comp pick: Rockies sign Hawkins!

bigbird

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Rotoworld is 100% correct.

The Orioles botched this one.

I agree.

This is such an obvious move that it almost has to be a case of the Orioles FO not knowing the rule about being able to release arb players for a fraction of their contracts. Thats certainly not acceptable on their part, but it would at least be making the case for ignorance as opposed to stupidity.

I agree.

This is such an obvious move that it almost has to be a case of the Orioles FO not knowing the rule about being able to release arb players for a fraction of their contracts. Thats certainly not acceptable on their part, but it would at least be making the case for ignorance as opposed to stupidity.

and what if Hawkins says sorry Rockies, I'm accepting arb from the Orioles or better yet, it the Orioles know is injured?

and what if Hawkins says sorry Rockies, I'm accepting arb from the Orioles or better yet, it the Orioles know is injured?

Then you pay him a half a million dollars or what ever it ends up being and cut him in March.

Even if the odds are 50/50 that Hawkins accepts the arbitration (which I certainly don't think they are, I think he almost certainly goes to the Rox), its still worth the gamble.

Honestly, this is the only answer that would not make the Orioles look stupid in all of this.

If they knew, for a fact, that he would not pass the physical, then i can understand it.

However, if they are using it as an excuse, it is piss poor and continues to speak on how poor they are at roster management and decision making.

Interesting take. I was going to argue, paying Hawkins the difference as incentive to sign with Colorado. My thinking is that we paid Beato 1M as a supplemental pick last year, so the value of the pick itself is 1M. It's not so clear cut, but it sure hurts not to get that pick since we lost then 2nd and 3rd rounder also. I can see why the O's did what they did, but maybe they could have gotten CREATIVE in this situation. :D

Interesting comments on this thread, but I'll start here. Just because the pick (Beato) received $1M does not mean that is the "value" of the pick. The "value" of this pick would be how much a major league team would pay for the right to draft in that slot.

Back in the late 90s, I believe, two major league teams did not make legitimate contract offers to their respective top 10 picks and those players were declared free agents. I believe the players were Travis Lee and Matt White. As free agents, those players received signing bonuses in the $9M range, if I recall. So, how much value is there in selecting a top pick and paying slot? A lot. By the time one gets to the supplemental first round picks, I imagine teams would offer $500K to perhaps $1.5M to get an extra pick at that slot.

It is interesting to me that we could have parted with Hawkins at a cost of $1M without much damage early in the year if he had accepted arbitration. It appears to me that this is the GM's call to risk such $ for a supplemental first round pick - to gamble that Hawkins declines arbitration or we lose $1M for nothing. On the one hand, I agree with bb that this could be $ thrown down the toilet for nothing. On the other hand, it appears this organization has had plenty of $ to burn the past few offseasons and not invested it in the team at all. Where did the Konerko $ go last year? Didn't we save $1.4M when Javy was moved to Boston? Where did all this $ go? It has been very disheartening to me that this $ does not appear to have been re-invested in the organization at all.

Archived