Comp pick: Rockies sign Hawkins!

bigbird

I think this was a dumb move, should have offered him the arbitration.

If he accepts, you just cut him and only owe him something like 20% of whatever amount he ends up getting (unless they changed that rule in the new CBA). Seems like a fair gamble to get a comp pick, especially the way they are doing the comps now where we would have ended up with a pick between 31-35.

That's a rule I never heard of. Sounds like a very odd rule.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Where is Hoosiers now btw??? Do they still deserve kudos?

Why not? If the salaries had been better, they could have offered arbitration.

My primary point has been, at least we had the opportunity to consider offering arbitration to a Type B FA. The team acquiring Steve Kline did not.

Why not? If the salaries had been better, they could have offered arbitration.

My primary point has been, at least we had the opportunity to consider offering arbitration to a Type B FA. The team acquiring Steve Kline did not.

I ask again...Did they know, when the trade was made, that Hawkins woiuld be type B and that Kline wouldn't?

If he accepts, you just cut him and only owe him something like 20% of whatever amount he ends up getting (unless they changed that rule in the new CBA). Seems like a fair gamble to get a comp pick, especially the way they are doing the comps now where we would have ended up with a pick between 31-35.

The 2003-2006 CBA provided that a Club could not retract an offer to arbitrate if accepted and:

If the Player accepts the offer to arbitrate, he shall be a signed player for the next season and the parties *will* conduct a salary arbitration hearing...

Page 67. CBA link Warning: PDF

Otherwise offers to arbitrate would just screw players. The new CBA was approved very quickly so I suspect if this provision was unchanged because:

Players = love arbitration (as the Hawkins example makes apparent).

The 2003-2006 CBA provided that a Club could not retract an offer to arbitrate if accepted and:

Page 67. CBA link Warning: PDF

Otherwise offers to arbitrate would just screw players. The new CBA was approved very quickly so I suspect if this provision was unchanged because:

Players = love arbitration (as the Hawkins example makes apparent).

Here's what the Tigers did with Pena:

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060326&content_id=1362988&vkey=spt2006news&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Detroit tendered Pena a contract last December and avoided arbitration with a one-year, $2.8 million deal. However, Pena's struggles this spring scuttled any chance of either a deal to another team or a fit in Detroit. After a decent start, he fell into a deep slump that included a heavy dose of strikeouts. An 0-for-4, four-strikeout game Friday against the Astros dropped his average to .160 with almost twice as many strikeouts (15) as hits (eight).

"If he had hit the way he did the last six weeks of last season, the fit would've been there," Dombrowski said. "Right now, we haven't seen it."

By releasing Pena before Wednesday, the Tigers owe him 45 days termination pay, equaling $688,525. Had they released him before March 15, they would've owed him 30 days pay, or just under $500,000. Even as that earlier date approached, though, front-office officials still held hope Pena could break out.

Again, not sure if this rule has been changed, but if it hasn't, then we could have gotten away with only paying Hawkins 30 days salary as opposed to the entire year if he accpeted arbitration.

The Tigers had resigned Pena and avoided the arbitration process. He was later released on 03/06 and received 45-days of termination pay. The main point is that he was resigned and did not go through arbitration.

Once the contract is signed, I think its all the same. I'm pretty confidant even if he got his money through arbitration that the Orioles could release him before the season and only be on the hook for 30 days pay.

Once the contract is signed, I think its all the same. I'm pretty confidant even if he got his money through arbitration that the Orioles could release him before the season and only be on the hook for 30 days pay.

That really sucks if your a player and we know how the players union feels about being suckered.

1) Team offers player arbitration.

2) Player accepts.

3) Team and player can't decide on salary.

4) Arbitrator decides in favor of the player (in February when cases are held, no less).

5) Team tells the player see ya! Now player only gets 30 days of salary?

6) Player now has a hard time to hook up with another team since it's late February and most teams have their roster set by now.

Why do I think the MLBPA would not go for this...

The distinction you are missing is that Latroy Hawkins filed for free agency. He'll get a guaranteed contract. (Think Albert Belle- why didn't the O's "cut" him- his contract was guaranteed).

Carols Pena was not a free agent- he was still in his arbitration years. Thus his contract was not guaranteed.

I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm saying - it just doesn't make any sense. It would seem to defeat the purpose of arbitration.

Some other sources seem to be in line with the idea arbitration != guaranteed contract.

A player with a non-guaranteed contract or an arbitration award may be released up until the 15th day of spring training with 30 days' pay or from the 16th day of spring training until the opening of the season with 45 days' pay.

link

Villone could accept salary arbitration, but his contract would not be guaranteed if he did.

link

Archived