I don't understand the "sky is falling" mentality...

SamsHorn

...with respect to the offseason.

First, the winter meetings haven't even happened yet. And while there has been an uncanny amount of activity before the meetings, nothing is over at this point. Which leads to...

Second, do any of you really, truly think that the Ellsbury/Cano/Beltran contracts are good contracts? Because they aren't. If the Orioles signed one of those players, and it didn't work out, this place would be going berserk about handing out big contracts to aging free agents. Seems like the FO can't win with the fan base in this context. Which leads to...

Third, recent history suggests that in the post-steroid era especially that handing out huge FA contracts is not the way to a WS. Looks at the Blue Jays last year, the Yankees of the past half decade, the Angels with the Pujols and Hamilton contracts. It won't be hard for me to find 100 posts from this time last year where apathy was at an all time high because the Blue Jays were "positioning themselves to win the AL East" with their aggressive trades and signings and how we were destined for a 4th or 5th place finish because of our inactivity. How'd that work out? Why would even want to consider that path given the current trend of overall parity in MLB (Red Sox and Cardinals success notwithstanding).

With all of this, it seems much more prudent for this team to get the right players at the right price and to not cripple the whole organization by handing out stupid contracts that require giving up draft picks.

Remember 2012? What splashy moves did we make that offseason? Exactly.

Remember 2013? When despite serious flaws, a terrible avg with RISP, and a shaky closer, we were still playing meaningful baseball late in the season? Exactly.

Maybe, just maybe, Dan Duquette and company know what they are doing. Given the last two years, in relation to the 15 that precede them, I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. I think more or you should as well.

/End rant.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I agree that spending doesn't guarantee winning. The really good way to go is to develop your own great players.

However, if you really want to win a WS and not just win 82 games and plant a flag saying "mission accomplished" this year, this team needed some upgrades. They didn't, and in fact let some of the 2013 team walk.

So, it depends on your perspective. I understand some posters pessimism though.

First, the winter meetings haven't even happened yet. And while there has been an uncanny amount of activity before the meetings, nothing is over at this point. Which leads to...

Second, do any of you really, truly think that the Ellsbury/Cano/Beltran contracts are good contracts? Because they aren't. If the Orioles signed one of those players, and it didn't work out, this place would be going berserk about handing out big contracts to aging free agents. Seems like the FO can't win with the fan base in this context. Which leads to...

Third, recent history suggests that in the post-steroid era especially that handing out huge FA contracts is not the way to a WS. Looks at the Blue Jays last year, the Yankees of the past half decade, the Angels with the Pujols and Hamilton contracts. It won't be hard for me to find 100 posts from this time last year where apathy was at an all time high because the Blue Jays were "positioning themselves to win the AL East" with their aggressive trades and signings and how we were destined for a 4th or 5th place finish because of our inactivity. How'd that work out? Why would even want to consider that path given the current trend of overall parity in MLB (Red Sox and Cardinals success notwithstanding).

With all of this, it seems much more prudent for this team to get the right players at the right price and to not cripple the whole organization by handing out stupid contracts that require giving up draft picks.

Remember 2013? When despite serious flaws, a terrible avg with RISP, and a shaky closer, we were still playing meaningful baseball late in the season? Exactly.

Maybe, just maybe, Dan Duquette and company know what they are doing. Given the last two years, in relation to the 15 that precede them, I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. I think more or you should as well.

/End rant.

Everything you just typed is 100%, without a shadow of a doubt, correct. Not to mention as of right now how much better are the Yankees after signing McCann, Beltran, And Ellsbury? They've basically just replaced Cano and Granderson's production and still have no pitching. Not to mention the aging A-Rod and Jeter. Boston has now lost Salty and Ellsbury, 2 keys to their success last season. And Toronto and TB have done the same if not less then the O's have. I guess every message board needs antagonist though.

/End rant.

I agree with you.

I think that it's way too early to judge the off season. Did anyone really expect the Orioles to be a serious player for Beltran? I for one am glad that the Orioles passed on a 37 year old outfielder. Further, the angst on this board was first fueled by the Orioles' decision to basically dump Johnson's 10 million dollar salary on Oakland. Everyone ( including the infamous Mikeyice) knew that the Orioles were not going to pay Johnson 10 million. Moving Johnson was the prudent move. One can criticize the return, however, it was the right move IMO. The Orioles will let the dust settle and pick up some starting pitching, a DH/LF bat and a piece or two for the bull pen. Further, they will do this while keeping their nucleus intact. In the end, IMO they will field a competitive team that will play meaningful games in August and September this year.

Everything you just typed is 100%, without a shadow of a doubt, correct. Not to mention as of right now how much better are the Yankees after signing McCann, Beltran, And Ellsbury? They've basically just replaced Cano and Granderson's production and still have no pitching. Not to mention the aging A-Rod and Jeter. Boston has now lost Salty and Ellsbury, 2 keys to their success last season. And Toronto and TB have done the same if not less then the O's have. I guess every message board needs antagonist though.

Agreed 100%, unfortunately it's this way during the off season every year. I'm definitely curious as to how the next month of the off season goes, but I for one, have all the confidence in the world in Duquette.

Some of our more distinguished posters 'demand" a winner and will settle for nothing less. That makes them more high minded than everyone else around here. They realize that their constant complaining will force the Orioles to increase spending and make the splashy moves they yearn for. That must be it. Otherwise they just enjoy complaining and reading each others complaints.

Or the homers are happy with whatever this team does. I guess some fans are happy with a 85 win team and nothing more. Some fans want more can you blame them? I love the fans that say wait moves are coming how did that work out last year? The fact is right now on paper the Orioles are a 4 the place team.

Sorry some fans want more then just playing good baseball and missing the playoffs. But Peter thanks you for this rant.

Birdland do you honestly believe signing Beltran would be wise? Or Cano with

what he got? Are you upset because Nate or Feldman wasn't resigned? Feldman I would have liked to have back. But I won't be upset he didn't. Now you may

think I am as you say an Angelos apologist. But I am not. I just want to wait to

see what DD will do.

Birdland do you honestly believe signing Beltran would be wise? Or Cano with

what he got? Are you upset because Nate or Feldman wasn't resigned? Feldman I would have liked to have back. But I won't be upset he didn't. Now you may

think I am as you say an Angelos apologist. But I am not. I just want to wait to

see what DD will do.

I will be upset about the Nate move if they don't upgrade LF. Nate at 5.5m is better then anything we have right now.

Some of our more distinguished posters 'demand" a winner and will settle for nothing less. That makes them more high minded than everyone else around here. They realize that their constant complaining will force the Orioles to increase spending and make the splashy moves they yearn for. That must be it. Otherwise they just enjoy complaining and reading each others complaints.

Well, they may petition the Orioles to change. Or withhold their sports dollars by never even watching the Orioles on TV.

And friends they may thinks it's a movement.

Or the homers are happy with whatever this team does. I guess some fans are happy with a 85 win team and nothing more. Some fans want more can you blame them? I love the fans that say wait moves are coming how did that work out last year? The fact is right now on paper the Orioles are a 4 the place team.

Last year the Blue Jays were a World Series contender on paper around this time. How did that work out? While I understand that some fans want/demand more. Please understand there are some fans that want to wait and see how this team fleshs out over the entire off season and actually performs on the field.

I don't support the name calling that usually accompanies the "calls to arms" of some posters. That said, they're right to be frustrated, both with the direction/leadership of the team, and with threads like this.

The sky isn't falling because the Yankees inked a bunch of bad contracts. The Orioles have managed to take advantage of some good fortune over the last couple of years to rise out of the basement and into the playoff picture. Accordingly, the sky is falling because it never really stopped falling. Angelos still sucks as an owner. The team's finances are constrained to levels well below what it's capable of supporting. And, regardless of who's sitting in the GM's chair, the party lines emanating from the warehouse never seem to change.

I'm not saying I like reading endless threads about how everything is terrible and it'll never get better, but I can't say I like reading threads about how everything is "A-OK," either. I prefer those rare threads that discuss the relative merits of realistic, potential acquisitions as well as players the team's actually acquired.

Archived