Jen Royle: Orioles open to trading Valencia ( Traded to KC for OF David Lough)

Barnaby Graves

I read all four pages. Your summary is not nearly accurate. The reaction is mixed at best and most of the focus is on Moustakas and Valencia's ability to play 3rd. In 4 pages, not a single person noticed that Valencia is not really a viable defensive option at 3rd. It wasn't particularly in depth stuff. The couple more in depth posts didn't like the trade at all. Whatever, I know you've got an agenda.

I read it as well. Very misleading representation. Don't let the facts get in the way of a good story.

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So.... based on a cursory numbers check, Lough is an excellent defensive outfielder with very average to slightly below average offensive skills.

Valencia for 5+ years of this guy? That's a no brainer. He's not a huge offensive difference maker but he might be a huge defensive difference maker. It's clearly a "won" trade, but it's missing major sexy points, which most people are after.

I don't expect to see him in orange and black for 5 years but I will take 2-3 seasons of him on the cheap.

It's true, Lough was not going to make the team for KC. They have a surplus of OF. In fact, Jarrod Dyson or Justin Maxwell probably won't make it either, and they are both solid players.

The reason Royals fans are ok with the trade is because they had no space for Lough they think Valencia can play 3B. If Valencia could play 3B, we wouldn't have traded him, and the Red Sox wouldn't have given him away to us for free. His career defensive metrics are not very good and neither is his reputation defensively. He's probably not a Reynolds/Betemit over there, but I think he's bad enough that it really kills his value.

On a pure player for player value, Lough blows Valencia out of the water, plain and simple. We got lucky that he was expendable on the Royals and Dayton Moore was willing to cash him in as a trade chip for somebody only as valuable as Valencia.

So.... based on a cursory numbers check, Lough is an excellent defensive outfielder with very average to slightly below average offensive skills.

Valencia for 5+ years of this guy? That's a no brainer. He's not a huge offensive difference maker but he might be a huge defensive difference maker. It's clearly a "won" trade, but it's missing major sexy points, which most people are after.

As a few posters have pointed out, his Home/Road splits in 2013 tease that he has real potential as an offensive threat.

.310/.331/.484/.815 in 164 PA on the road. Not too shabby.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>I like Lough better, but this isn't a "steal" RT <a href="https://twitter.com/Nick_Verd">@Nick_Verd</a>: thoughts on the Lough for Valencia swap. Steal for the O's, am I right?</p>— keithlaw (@keithlaw) <a href="

">December 19, 2013</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>I like Lough better, but this isn't a "steal" RT <a href="https://twitter.com/Nick_Verd">@Nick_Verd</a>: thoughts on the Lough for Valencia swap. Steal for the O's, am I right?</p>— keithlaw (@keithlaw) <a href="
">December 19, 2013</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

For KLaw that is a ringing endorsement for an O's trade.

Way to flip that scrap heap guy. So far this offseason DD traded JJ essentially for Balfour, Webb, Weeks and Frietas. Then traded a platoon DH that had a hot month for an outfielder with plus defense. Lough was worth 1.1 more WAR last year and makes 4 million less than Mcclouth next year. How can you not like it?

Way to flip that scrap heap guy. So far this offseason DD traded JJ essentially for Balfour, Webb, Weeks and Frietas. Then traded a platoon DH that had a hot month for an outfielder with plus defense. Lough was worth 1.1 more WAR last year and makes 4 million less than Mcclouth next year. How can you not like it?

Answer: You're generally a miserable person who would complain at a free keg party that the cups are too small?

I think some posters are looking at Lough as our new leftfielder, as compared to... say... Choo. Which would seem pretty disappointing.

As compared to McLouth though, wow, nice improvement.

I think some posters are looking at Lough as our new leftfielder, as compared to... say... Choo. Which would seem pretty disappointing.

As compared to McLouth though, wow, nice improvement.

Choo is a mathematical superstar. He will never approach the OBP that he had last season. And in ANY crucial at bat in the AL after the fifth inning, he will be completely neutralized. And if he leans in to pitches, they will learn to more than plunk him. And one of these times it will cost him a season.

Because it doesn't make us a lot better. I like it for what it is, but do these moves makes us demonstrably better? I don't really think so.

There's still time, hopefully DD has something up his sleeve.

Because it doesn't make us a lot better. I like it for what it is, but do these moves makes us demonstrably better? I don't really think so.

There's still time, hopefully DD has something up his sleeve.

It might not be possible to bring in enough outside talent to significantly improve the team given payroll constraints and the condition of the farm system.

Getting rid of expensive and older players who are not part of the core might be the best he can do.

It might not be possible to bring in enough outside talent to significantly improve the team given payroll constraints and the condition of the farm system.

Getting rid of expensive and older players who are not part of the core might be the best he can do.

It may well be the case.

Archived