Yankee Brian Roberts. (Update: Signs for $2M+)

Greg

He was caught right before he apologized. You do admit that he apologized, right? Would he have apologized if he hadn't been caught? Of course not. When it was just his little secret, there was no need to apologize.

No. Not caught. Frankly, I am surprised Mitchell chose to include this in his report. It was hearsay. All of the other players involved with the Mitchell report had some type of evidence and/or witnesses. Roberts was the lone case that the only mention was the report of Roberts himself telling another player that he had tried steroids a couple times. That is it. Nothing more. He could have either ignored or denied having said that, or claimed that Bigbie "mis-remembered", but instead he confirmed that he did, indeed tell that to Bigbie, and that it was true. The other cases involving what another player said involved them actually seeing them using. There is a big difference. Until a half-hour ago, I had never heard anyone say that Roberts was threatened in any way. If he was, I hadn't heard about it, and would like to read about it. CA-Oriole said Roberts had lied until threatened, and I have asked him to direct me to where I can read about that.

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Does that mean you don't want to refer me to the articles about it? I seriously do not remember him being threatened at all. He came out immediately when the report came out and siad that what Bigbie said was true. Again, please direct me to where I can find out about the threats he was receiving and the lies he was telling. I don't remember hearing Brian Roberts say one thing about steroids prior to this. All I am asking you for is to please show me where this happened.

I don't think Brob was mentioned in the report at all. It was Bigbie and he said he used with Brob. Refer to Mitchell report section.

http://www.baseballssteroidera.com/bse-list-steroid-hgh-users-baseball.html

He was also named in the Jason Grimsley Affidavit or was he?

Brian Roberts October 2006

Reportedly Used: Steroids (Non-specific)

The Story: Roberts was one of the redacted names from the Affidavit filed by IRS Agent Jeff Novitzky describing Jason Grimsley’s admission of his steroid use and that of others. Grimsley said specifically that Roberts, Miguel Tejada and Jay Gibbons used ‘anabolic steroids.’ Roberts’ name was revealed in an Oct. 1, 2006 Los Angeles Times Article entitled Clemens Is Named in Drug Affidavit.

http://thesteroidera.blogspot.com/2006/08/list-of-steroid-hgh-users-in-baseball.html#brian-roberts

http://thesteroidera.blogspot.com/2006/10/steroid-era-news-clemens-pettitte.html

By Jeff Zrebiec Sun reporter

December 18, 2007

Orioles second baseman admitted last night that he used steroids "once," in 2003, but said he hasn't used them or any other performance-enhancing drugs since.

He was silent for four days after his name appeared in former Sen. George J. Mitchell's scathing report on steroid use in major league baseball. But last night Roberts issued a statement, which was provided to The Sun, that read:

Related

Hard to believe Roberts

Latest O's blow hardest to accept

Roch Around the Clock: Do you believe him?

Photos Photos

Orioles named in Mitchell Report Orioles named in Mitchell Report

"I would like to address the allegations that were made against me in the Mitchell Report. I will begin by saying that I have worked very hard to develop a good reputation both on and off the field. I have always taken pride in being a man of integrity and values. I know that by being a professional athlete, I am held to a very high standard. I never have and never will take that for granted. However, I am also human and I have made mistakes.

Read more: http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/bal-te.sp.roberts18dec18,0,769248.story#ixzz2p65L6yhJ

No. Not caught. Frankly, I am surprised Mitchell chose to include this in his report. It was hearsay. All of the other players involved with the Mitchell report had some type of evidence and/or witnesses. Roberts was the lone case that the only mention was the report of Roberts himself telling another player that he had tried steroids a couple times. That is it. Nothing more. He could have either ignored or denied having said that, or claimed that Bigbie "mis-remembered", but instead he confirmed that he did, indeed tell that to Bigbie, and that it was true. The other cases involving what another player said involved them actually seeing them using. There is a big difference. Until a half-hour ago, I had never heard anyone say that Roberts was threatened in any way. If he was, I hadn't heard about it, and would like to read about it. CA-Oriole said Roberts had lied until threatened, and I have asked him to direct me to where I can read about that.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/bal-sp.maese18dec18,0,6655864.column

His accusations are ridiculous," Roberts said in September 2006, when the Los Angeles Times reported that former teammate Jason Grimsley had named Roberts as a user. "We've had steroid testing, and I've taken all the tests. There is no point in getting into verbal wars. That's really all there is to say."

I did one google search and came up with this. Believe me there are more Brian Roberts statement denying steroid use. You want to call them misleading an not a lie then fine. He's a liar in my book. Again, I don't blame him for lying, I just don't understand why he gets a pass.

I don't think Brob was mentioned in the report at all. It was Bigbie and he said he used with Brob. Refer to Mitchell report section.

http://www.baseballssteroidera.com/bse-list-steroid-hgh-users-baseball.html

He was also named in the Jason Grimsley Affidavit or was he?

Brian Roberts October 2006

Reportedly Used: Steroids (Non-specific)

The Story: Roberts was one of the redacted names from the Affidavit filed by IRS Agent Jeff Novitzky describing Jason Grimsley’s admission of his steroid use and that of others. Grimsley said specifically that Roberts, Miguel Tejada and Jay Gibbons used ‘anabolic steroids.’ Roberts’ name was revealed in an Oct. 1, 2006 Los Angeles Times Article entitled Clemens Is Named in Drug Affidavit.

http://thesteroidera.blogspot.com/2006/08/list-of-steroid-hgh-users-in-baseball.html#brian-roberts

http://thesteroidera.blogspot.com/2006/10/steroid-era-news-clemens-pettitte.html

Yes he was.

From the Brian Roberts page on Wikipedia

Steroid allegations

On September 30, 2006, the Los Angeles Times reported that during a June 6, 2006, federal raid, former relief pitcher Jason Grimsley named Roberts as a user of anabolic steroids. The Times reported that Roberts was one of five names blacked out in an affidavit filed in federal court.[13] However, on October 3, 2006, The Washington Post reported that San Francisco United States attorney Kevin Ryan said that the Los Angeles Times report contained "significant inaccuracies."[14] On December 20, 2007, the actual names in the Grimsley search warrant affidavit were revealed to the public. Roberts, Jay Gibbons, Andy Pettitte and Roger Clemens were not actually named in the report and Miguel Tejada was named only for having a conversation about amphetamines.[15] Roberts, along with the other four players named, denounced the story.[14] Roberts was subsequently named in George Mitchell's report on performance enhancing drugs. According to page 158 of the Mitchell Report, Roberts lived with then-teammate Larry Bigbie in David Segui's house near the end of the 2001 season. Bigbie and Segui were regular steroid users; while they were using the performance enhancing drugs and Roberts was present, he asserted that he did not participate. According to Bigbie's testimony, Roberts told him in 2004 that he had injected himself with steroids "once or twice" in 2003.[16]

On December 17, 2007, Roberts released a statement in which he admits to using steroids on a single occasion.

"In 2003, when I took one shot of steroids," he said. "I immediately realized that this was not what I stood for or anything that I wanted to continue doing. I never used steroids, human growth hormone or any other performance-enhancing drugs prior to or since that single incident.

"I can honestly say before God, myself, my family and all of my fans, that steroids or any performance-enhancing drugs have never had any effect on what I have worked so hard to accomplish in the game of baseball."

Roberts further stated that he had no ill-will against former Oriole Larry Bigbie whose testimony to the Mitchell Committee was responsible for his inclusion in the report.[17]

Why is there Roberts steroid talk in an Ike Davis thread? That's my question. #derailed

I agree. I'm sorry, but when atomic posted that Roberts was caught using PEDs twice, I felt the need to respond, as it is false. I don't know why he posted it in the Ike Davis thread to begin with.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/bal-sp.maese18dec18,0,6655864.column

I did one google search and came up with this. Believe me there are more Brian Roberts statement denying steroid use. You want to call them misleading an not a lie then fine. He's a liar in my book. Again, I don't blame him for lying, I just don't understand why he gets a pass.

So he denied an untrue article and that makes him a liar?

Roberts lied numerous times about not using steroids. Stated unequivocally that he never used them. When Roberts was threatened with a subpoena and the possibility of testifying under oath, he changed his story and likely admitted to as little as he had to under the circumstances. He is an admitted steroid user and a liar. Anybody wants to to rationalize that, fine. Not really that big of a deal to me, but it always has made me wonder why he seemingly got such a break from the steroid haters. Semantics aside, as far as I'm concerned, he was "caught"?

The actual context of the Bigbie statement means very little imo. I'm inclined to believe he was a repeated user ... as were a lot of others.

No one admits they used steroids until they are caught.

I don't remember anyone if they did.

Yes, he was caught.

No, he didn't flunk a test, but he was named by another player, refused to cooperate with the investigation, and apologized four days after the report came out.

He. Was. Caught.

Wow. What I read in your post was that his denials were specifically regarding the LA Times article about Grimsley, which turned out to be erroneous. Grimsley did not name Roberts. Further, what you posted said that when the Mitchell Report cam out and the Bigbie hearsay was mentioned, Roberts acknowledged what Bigbie said, and apologized. He was guilty by admission. He was not caught. His denials were truthful, as he knew that there was no way that Grimsley could have said anything about him. As it turned out, it wasn't Grimsley being dishonest, but rather an erroneous report by the LA Times. I have read your post over 3 times, and that is definitely what it says. The story that Roberts denounced was, indeed, false.

Wow. What I read in your post was that his denials were specifically regarding the LA Times article about Grimsley, which turned out to be erroneous. Grimsley did not name Roberts. Further, what you posted said that when the Mitchell Report cam out and the Bigbie hearsay was mentioned, Roberts acknowledged what Bigbie said, and apologized. He was guilty by admission. He was not caught. His denials were truthful, as he knew that there was no way that Grimsley could have said anything about him. As it turned out, it wasn't Grimsley being dishonest, but rather an erroneous report by the LA Times. I have read your post over 3 times, and that is definitely what it says. The story that Roberts denounced was, indeed, false.

Why you want to go through these mental gymnastics on New Year's Eve to excuse Roberts for lying about performance enhancing drug use is beyond me.

Nevertheless, there are two, and only two, pertinent questions to be answered: (1) did Roberts acknowledge that he used performance enhancing drugs at any point in his career; (2) prior to that point (or points) in time, did Roberts deny that he used, or ever had used, performance enhancing drugs.

If the answers to both of the above questions are "yes," then Roberts is a liar, regardless of whatever tortured arguments you want to make concerning Roberts' responses to "erroneous" newspaper reports.

I agree. I'm sorry, but when atomic posted that Roberts was caught using PEDs twice, I felt the need to respond, as it is false. I don't know why he posted it in the Ike Davis thread to begin with.

I didn't start the Roberts talk. Why do you feel the need to defend Roberts? Guys don't just use steroids once. Everyone who is caught doing anything illegal says they only did it once. A Rod claims he wasn't using steroids. The guy from the Brewers denied until he was caught a second time. Who really cares anyway? His 4 years of non performance is a good measure of his abilities off steroids. He will feel right at home with the Yankees.

Archived