Yankee Brian Roberts. (Update: Signs for $2M+)

Greg

I try to be a logical unemotional guy when it comes to this stuff. But there appears to be plenty of anecdotal evidence that Roberts clearly didn't want to come back here. The fact that he made $40mm over the last 4 years while playing as many games as the 4th man on the bench and didn't have the common courtesy or have enough respect for the organization to at least talk to them about coming back before signing with the YANKEES really ticks me off. I know it's business and all but how you conduct your business says a lot about you as a person. I have lost all respect for the guy. I don't want him to be in the Orioles HOF. Don't get me wrong, I didn't want him back but to it appears he went radio silent and snuck to the Yankees. I can get past him being injured during the 4 years, that stuff happens. I can accept him moving on (even to the Yankees) but the way it has apparently gone down to me it's Shadesville.

I am sure I am being overly sensitive and am wrong about all of this but its how I feel right this minute.

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah but they were outscored by 21 runs and we outscored our opponents by 36 runs. They weren't as good as the Orioles, they were lucky and as the 2013 Orioles can tell you, luck tends to revert to the norm.

Phelps is gone, Kuroda is 40, CC is another year older, Nova is solid but outside of that the rotation as it looks right now is no real intimidator.

Well starting Flaherty also gives us a better shot at the playoffs...

Flaherty is definitely an improvement over Roberts. I bet if you look at the records when Flaherty is starting second base over when Roberts is starting second base this will be verified. Even if Flaherty doesn't hit he improves the team with his defense plus he has more power than Roberts.

Roberts is a locker room cancer and steroid junky.. He will fit in well with the Yankees. :)

Assuming health, we are only better than them at 3 positions:

McCann > Wieters

Teixeira < Davis

Johnson/Roberts ~= Flaherty

? < Machado

Jeter < Hardy

Gardner > Reimold?

Ellsbury > Jones

A ham sandwich > Markakis

Beltran > Valencia/Urrutia?

If you actually believe all this I am glad you aren't making the decisions.

Looking forward to seeing Flaherty platooning with... Ivan DeJesus, Jr - not Weeks or Phelps or Schoop. People assume DeJesus can't hit, but he had an .830's OPS in the International League last year and has always had a good OBP. And I expect he's better defensively than all of the candidates other than Flaherty. Plus, he can fill in at SS and 3B. And looking forward to the O's being better offensively and defensively at 2B than the Yankees.

I find this news to be great. Not only do I not have to worry about the Orioles resigning Roberts, the Yankees now get to have Mr. Entitlement. He'll fit right in with the Yankees vitamins and with breaking down once again.

Between you and Roch, me thinks that the "behind the scenes" BRob isn't the fan favorite that we all have seen over the past 12 years. :scratchchinhmm:

Yeah Roch had some interesting quotes in his post today, that's for sure.

On MLB Network this morning, Roch said Brian probably made the decision because he felt he had a better chance at the postseason, this late in his career, with the Yankees. What kind of talk is that for an Angelos employee? :cool:

On MLB Network this morning, Roch said Brian probably made the decision because he felt he had a better chance at the postseason, this late in his career, with the Yankees. What kind of talk is that for an Angelos employee? :cool:

Maybe he figured he had a better chance of having a job, period.

I thought the same thing while reading that in his post. If Roch really is an Angelos puppet, he wouldn't have said that.

But then also closing the blog post with Roberts not returning his calls or texts. Thought that was interesting, too.

He cleaned out his locker after the final game on Sept. 29, giving the impression that he wasn't coming back.

Roberts hasn't returned my calls and text messages, which is fairly typical. He's never been the most accessible player on the team. Quite the opposite.

He was nice to the children...

Archived