Interesting site

big leagues 23

Yes, he went to Cardinal Gibbons high school

Actually he went to Mount Saint Marys which was where Cardinal Gibbons is now at. Mount Saint Marys was a reform school. The Babe was born in the house that the Babe Ruth Mueseum is at on Emory street in west Baltimore.

My grandmother grew up living next door to the Babe. She hated him because he would torment all the girls in the neighborhood. He would pour water on them from the second floor window and once hit my grandmother in the head with a baseball bat. He was a little wildman.

The brothers at Mount Saint Mary's, a catholic reform school staighten him out some.

I use this site to check my memory of games that I watched 25+ years ago, before I start regaling the board with my accounts of them. Like the game where the O's erased a 6-0 lead against the Brewers in the 9th inning and then won in extra innings. I was pretty sure I remembered it accurately, and per Retrosheet, I did: July 27, 1975, back when the fans believed that the O's were never out of a game.

Actually he went to Mount Saint Marys which was where Cardinal Gibbons is now at. Mount Saint Marys was a reform school. The Babe was born in the house that the Babe Ruth Mueseum is at on Emory street in west Baltimore.

My grandmother grew up living next door to the Babe. She hated him because he would torment all the girls in the neighborhood. He would pour water on them from the second floor window and once hit my grandmother in the head with a baseball bat. He was a little wildman.

The brothers at Mount Saint Mary's, a catholic reform school staighten him out some.

Get outta here. That is a GREAT story. Wasn't it "St. Mary's Industrial School" or something like that?

My Grandmom's school used to have dances with the kids from St. Mary's. Grandmom danced with Ruth, who she described as "big and oafish" but otherwise unremarkable. It seems none of the girls were terribly enthusiastic about going to these dances with the kids from the reform school.

Get outta here. That is a GREAT story. Wasn't it "St. Mary's Industrial School" or something like that?

My Grandmom's school used to have dances with the kids from St. Mary's. Grandmom danced with Ruth, who she described as "big and oafish" but otherwise unremarkable. It seems none of the girls were terribly enthusiastic about going to these dances with the kids from the reform school.

From BabeRuth.com

George, Jr. did not have a happy childhood. His parents worked long hours in the tavern, leaving their son to take care of himself much of the time. Eventually, when Babe was seven years old, his father took him to St. Mary's Industrial School for Boys, a reformatory and orphanage. There he signed custody over to the Xaverian brothers, Catholic missionaries who ran the school.

Archived