Orioles still in the market for one more SP + late inning RP (Update: Johan Santana signed)

fearthenoodle

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My guess is that minor league deals probably don't have a real thorough physical test, I could be wrong.

He's a fixer-upper (everyone already knew it needed work)--might even be flipped under the proper market conditions.

His signing is the icing on the cake.
Then what would the other Santana signing be? :)

A big, swift kick in the balls to the New York Yankees ???

That would be better than cake, icing, candles, or anything else.

Can't believe the O's are going all in. The owner actually appears to care, we have a good team this year. It's amazing. I never thought I'd live to see the day. We need to have a party or something.

I think that it's a combination of the owner caring AND the G.M. being a savvy baseball guy that always has his eyes open for diamonds-in-the rough/needles-in-the-haystack.

I give Peter credit for shelling out money for Jimenez and Cruz, but Daniel also gets credit for picking up guys whom which not much was expected of (Miguel Gonzalez, Nate McLouth, Lew Ford, etc.), and he is still doing so (Johan Santana.)

He (Duquette) also gave Jamie Moyer a shot in 2012, and in spite of outstanding numbers at AAA-Norfolk (16 innings, 0 walks, 16 strikeouts, a 1.69 ERA, and an 0.688 WHIP), Daniel cut him because he saw something that he didn't like. And he (Duquette) was apparently correct in his assessment, because Moyer was subsequently picked up by the Blue Jays, was bombed in 2 outings for their AAA-affiliate, and they cut him, also.

Those types of pickups and decisions are (presumably) not ones that Duquette has to run by Peter.

Can't believe the O's are going all in. The owner actually appears to care, we have a good team this year. It's amazing. I never thought I'd live to see the day. We need to have a party or something.

LOL: Yep. Exactly how I feel:)

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Jones on Johan add:"You can see him coming in & offer us 7 to 10 to 12 starts in the 2nd half of the season. That could be the edge we need"</p>— Eduardo A. Encina (@EddieInTheYard) <a href="
">March 4, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Exactly!

I just got an alert he can earn $8M total in "very achievable" performance bonuses-does that sound right to everyone?

That's a good chunk of money to budget for. I wonder if that precludes us from signing a guy like E. Santana.

Johan is an insurance policy. If you signed the other Santana, you can let him opt-out, or release him if he doesn't look like his arm is strong enough. The Orioles have zero obligations to Johan.

If he looks great and you've already added Ervin, that's called a good problem.

Certainly doesn't sound like they expect him to be just a reliever.

My guess, and it's just a guess, is that all the incentives are tied to him being a SP. I'm sure that's what he'd prefer. So if he does make it back, he'd either be a $3MM reliever or a SP with the potential to make $8MM.

Johan is an insurance policy. If you signed the other Santana, you can let him opt-out, or release him if he doesn't look like his arm is strong enough. The Orioles have zero obligations to Johan.

If he looks great and you've already added Ervin, that's called a good problem.

I just don't see any strong value add for E Santana at this point unless DD has some super prospects coming back for Norris/Matusz/Britton which I doubt (Norris is def possible because he is tremendously underrated on here).

I just don't see any strong value add for E Santana at this point unless DD has some super prospects coming back for Norris/Matusz/Britton which I doubt (Norris is def possible because he is tremendously underrated on here).

E. Santana is better than Norris. The team still could use a reliable LHH (I'd personally prefer Urrutia more time at AAA), and if Norris could bring that back I think it strengthens the team overall.

Archived