Are they joking? ESPN ranks Xander Bogaerts above JJ Hardy

Frobby

Not saying Bogaerts isn't very promising, just that he's the only SS on that list who hasn't played at least one full season and putting Reyes and Ramerez on the list totally invalidates it. But yeah, it's just s coincidence that Bogaerts plays for BOS, it's just that he's so good.

Ramirez was a 5 win player in only 86 games last year, it would be invalid if he WASN'T on it. Reyes is the best shortstop in the AL East if he's healthy, perhaps the article is assuming health.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Any chance Schoop outperforms Bogaerts this year? That would be sweet.

Minuscule. Bogaerts had a .909 OPS at AA last year and .822 at AAA. Schoop was hurt half the year and only put up .697 at AAA when he returned. That figure isn't indicative of Schoop's power potential, but I would say Flash and David Lough have as good a chance to beat out Bogaerts at the plate this year as Schoop. Which is to say, minuscule.

Minuscule. Bogaerts had a .909 OPS at AA last year and .822 at AAA. Schoop was hurt half the year and only put up .697 at AAA when he returned. That figure isn't indicative of Schoop's power potential, but I would say Flash and David Lough have as good a chance to beat out Bogaerts at the plate this year as Schoop. Which is to say, minuscule.

And Bogaerts is a shortstop, so any advantage in offense would have to be significant.

To verify that I have not lost my mind, I went back and checked with baseball-reference.

Yes, Hardy was an All-Star, and won the gold glove and the silver slugger at shortstop. An untested rookie is better? Wake up and smell the coffee! :rolleyestf:

Ramirez was a 5 win player in only 86 games last year, it would be invalid if he WASN'T on it. Reyes is the best shortstop in the AL East if he's healthy, perhaps the article is assuming health.
You don't look at the numbers do you? And which Ramirez are you talking about? Reyes hasn't been a good fielder for years and neither has Hanley, who is really more of a 3B now. Both of them can't stay on the field for a full season.

ST numbers are meaningless I know but they can give you a chuckle . Schoop 1.058 OPS BOS wonder boy .616.

You don't look at the numbers do you? And which Ramirez are you talking about? Reyes hasn't been a good fielder for years and neither has Hanley, who is really more of a 3B now. Both of them can't stay on the field for a full season.

I do look at the numbers. Hanley Ramirez played zero innings at 3B last year. He played exclusively at shortstop and amassed 5.1 fWAR in the 86 games he played. Even playing 86 games only, that made him the 2nd best shortstop in baseball.

I do look at the numbers. Hanley Ramirez played zero innings at 3B last year. He played exclusively at shortstop and amassed 5.1 fWAR in the 86 games he played. Even playing 86 games only, that made him the 2nd best shortstop in baseball.
It was also the only season where he wasn't below average on defense at 0.02 RS. He's a terrible SS.

I'm a little skeptical of his defense grading out so positively. Was he significantly better this past season (or half season)? I know it's not the end all be all, but his fielding percentage is awful and his rf was way higher than previous seasons. I don't watch enough (read:almost none) dodgers games to know how he's looked, but I have a hard time believing he's suddenly turned into a positive after so many years of grading out poorly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm a little skeptical of his defense grading out so positively. Was he significantly better this past season (or half season)? I know it's not the end all be all, but his fielding percentage is awful and his rf was way higher than previous seasons. I don't watch enough (read:almost none) dodgers games to know how he's looked, but I have a hard time believing he's suddenly turned into a positive after so many years of grading out poorly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He was better than in the past -- also in better shape. We'll see if that carries over to 2014.

It was also the only season where he wasn't below average on defense at 0.02 RS. He's a terrible SS.

I'm pretty sure this article isn't solely based on defense. You can be a below average defender and still be a damn good shortstop. I'm pretty sure Derek Jeter can attest to that. Hanley Ramirez is very good, saying otherwise is simply incorrect.

Archived