Schoop - The Blessing.

Ommaculate

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
We all know the name of the game is walks. Schoop has yet to walk this season. 242 BA and .242 OBP. I think a little more seasoning in Norfolk, might not be so bad, considering he is only 21.

You can't walk when they're throwing you strikes. And they'll keep throwing you strikes until you prove you can hit them. That's why high OBP batters are usually high batting average hitters. It's foolish to hope a player will start improving his walk rate until he shows he can hit, e.g. Lough, Flaherty.

At least Schoop has an excuse for being not earning BBs/being over-anxious--he's not really ready to hit ML pitching consistently.

You can't walk when they're throwing you strikes. And they'll keep throwing you strikes until you prove you can hit them. That's why high OBP batters are usually high batting average hitters. It's foolish to hope a player will start improving his walk rate until he shows he can hit, e.g. Lough, Flaherty.

At least Schoop has an excuse for being not earning BBs/being over-anxious--he's not really ready to hit ML pitching consistently.

I wish they were throwing Schoop more strikes. He seems to be able to hit them, but with a 40.1 % OZ swing it looks to me like he's chasing too many balls.

Wait, but yesterday I read on here a poster begging for his demotion to Norfolk:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That may have been me, although I would not say "begging". I had noted that Flaherty had gotten a start over Schoop and came up big in that game, and if Flaherty is going to get starts against RHPs I would rather have Schoop in AAA.

Sure, Schoop has hit some big bombs for us, but at the end of the day he still has a .277 OBP. Offensively he is basically Flaherty with 3 HR. I am not sure that justifies the five errors he has already made (albeit only one at 2B).

That may have been me, although I would not say "begging". I had noted that Flaherty had gotten a start over Schoop and came up big in that game, and if Flaherty is going to get starts against RHPs I would rather have Schoop in AAA.

Sure, Schoop has hit some big bombs for us, but at the end of the day he still has a .277 OBP. Offensively he is basically Flaherty with 3 HR. I am not sure that justifies the five errors he has already made (albeit only one at 2B).

Flaherty got 2 hits and drove in the winning run the game before. He was our 2B. Schoop hit a 2 R HR last might to win the game so now he's our 2B. Nothing to see here.

Flaherty got 2 hits and drove in the winning run the game before. He was our 2B. Schoop hit a 2 R HR last might to win the game so now he's our 2B. Nothing to see here.

I like Schoop as our LT 2nd baseman. I am pretty sold on him. I am however not sold on him spending so much time with AJ:) I kid...but I think the point of the OP is valid-his free swining and lack of pitches taken/strikeouts have go to approve. They are absurdly bad. AJ cannot be helping with that:)

Well it'll be Schoop tonight vs. Price that's for sure. Even with last night's memorable homer, he's still OPSing less than .700. I'm inclined to overlook that at this point, I think.

We he gets into one, he really gets into it. He can flat-out hammer it. It's so fun to watch.

This is a learning year for Schoop. Unless he does terribly bad on a consistent basis, Im not going to bash him or say he needs to go down to "develop/grow". And everything else is a bonus. All around I dont think he was quite ready to come up. But now that he's here, let him learn here until the team is fully healthy and there just isn't any room.

You can't teach someone how to get on base other than hitting. You tell them to be more patient, try and draw more walks. After that its on them. If a guys instinct is to swing, that's what he's going to do.

Archived