Schoop - The Blessing.

Ommaculate

Do people appreciate how young Schoop and Manny are? By my count, there are only 8 starting position players in major league baseball age 22 or younger and we have 2 of them.

While I'm on the subject, if Bundy makes our rotation next year he'll still probably be the youngest starting pitcher in baseball.

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I will say it loud and soft. I will be subtle and not so subtle. I will oversell and

overstate, but I will eventually be satisfied with this opinion which I have stated

over and over again:

No matter how he struggles, and he will, both at the plate and in the field, Jonathan

Schoop will be THE player at second base, and maybe somewhere else on the infield for years to come. He is supremely talented and still has a lot to learn. But

he's a player that when he comes up, I pay attention. When he hits a ball hard

it stays hit hard. I see the future, and his name is Jonathan Schoop.

I hope. I mean that's what we all want. But might be a bit premature.

I think with him and Manny paying with each other in the minors and seeing Manny become.successful is what's going to push him over the hump.

I.dont.think he just wants to make it and be the starting 2B, but think he wants to be loved like wr currently love Manny.

I see good if not great stuff from Schoop, but I'm not ready to say he's the next Brandon Phillips.

Do people appreciate how young Schoop and Manny are? By my count, there are only 8 starting position players in major league baseball age 22 or younger and we have 2 of them.

While I'm on the subject, if Bundy makes our rotation next year he'll still probably be the youngest starting pitcher in baseball.

True but all do respect to Schoop. Injuries are why he's here. He didn't out-right make the team.He was a year away from being here.

But yes, the fact they are as young as they are and that they are producing is special.

But I have a feeling over the next couple of years you will see alot of top prospects getting chances at younger ages.

Awesome post. Not only that but they are both future Middle IF'ers with power and good defense. :2yay-thumb:

• 1 month later...

o

(vs. YANKEES, 6/22)

Schoop's 2nd home run of the year against Masahiro Tanaka gave the Orioles an early lead which they never relinquished.

The Orioles are 2-0 against the Yankees in games in which Tanaka has started, and Schoop's early home runs in each of those games was a key factor in the victories.

Both of Schoop's home runs against Tanaka have come in the top of the 2nd inning.

o

JONATHAN RUFINO JEZUS SCHOOP

Schoop is a tantalizing, fascinating, frustrating player to watch at this stage. You can see that he's a good defender at 2B, and that he has power to spare. He seems to do just enough to stay in the lineup and comes up with some big hits, but he does not get on base consistently enough to truly help the offense.

I note that his OBP has shot up to .328 so far in June, compared to .266 in April and .233 in May. So at least he has things moving in the right direction.

• 1 month later...
Schoop is a tantalizing, fascinating, frustrating player to watch at this stage. You can see that he's a good defender at 2B, and that he has power to spare. He seems to do just enough to stay in the lineup and comes up with some big hits, but he does not get on base consistently enough to truly help the offense.

I note that his OBP has shot up to .328 so far in June, compared to .266 in April and .233 in May. So at least he has things moving in the right direction.

5 weeks later, and not much has changed.

Roy and myself (Big-Time Schoop fans) are holding out hope that his batting average his O.B.P. will both improve as his career progresses beyond his rookie season ...... to go along with his excellent defense and his occasional power, both of which are already assets to the team in terms of his own personal contribution.

5 weeks later, and not much has changed.

Roy and myself (Big-Time Schoop fans) are holding out hope that his batting average his O.B.P. will both improve as his career progresses beyond his rookie season ...... to go along with his excellent defense and his occasional power, both of which are already assets to the team in terms of his own personal contribution.

Solid game today ...... and, we needed it. :cool:

Reached safely 3 times (2 singles and a walk) in 4 plate appearances.

o

The route that the Orioles are taking with Schoop is somewhat similar to the route that the Tigers took with Ron LeFlore back in 1974, 1975, and 1976.

Like Schoop, LeFlore was "force fed" as a starting position player. LeFlore had hit well at the minor league A-level in '74, but they skipped him over the AA-level, and he only played 9 GAMES at the AAA-level before being promoted to the Tigers that same year ...... as their starting centerfielder.

In that 1974 season, LeFlore was pretty bad offensively. His batting average was decent, but his OBP was only .302, and he struck out a lot.

More of the same occurred in 1975 (decent batting average, but a low OBP, and he struck out a lot.)

In 1976, LeFlore finally broke through, batting .316 with an OBP of .376, stealing 58 bases, and having a memorable 30-game hitting streak.

Additionally, LeFlore cut down on his strikeouts somewhat in 1976, but (more significantly)his walk rate improved considerably.

Now ...... I'm not saying that Schoop will necessarily prosper offensively like LeFlore did in his 7-year prime from 1976-1982. And I understand that with LeFlore, the circumstances were different for 2 reasons:

A) ) Those 1974 and 1975 Tigers teams were awful, so the Tigers really didn't have a lot to lose by continually sending LeFlore out there over and over again until he succeeded. The 2014 Orioles, on the other hand, are in 1st place and have a lot more at stake than did those Tigers teams that LeFlore played on in the mid-1970's.

AND

B) LeFlore had spent several years in prison, and was already 26 years-old when the Tigers promoted him and plugged him into their starting lineup in 1974. Schoop, on the other hand, is only 21 years-old, and he also had a much more extensive minor league career than did LeFlore.

But ......... the force-feeding into the starting lineup of a player that had not hit well at the highest levels of the minors (LeFlore in fact, had virtually no career above the A-level in the minors) is what is similar, and why I find it interesting.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/l/lefloro01.shtml

Thanks for bearing with me. ) :o

o

Just curious: do people think it will be a gradual progression towards a better Schoop, or could it be an "ah-ha" moment?

In other sports, you will often hear the adage, "the game slowed down," is this something that applies to baseball?

Archived