Schoop - The Blessing.

Ommaculate

Schoop has been a pivotal player in a lot of games recently--he was probably the MVP tonight, he won the Tanaka game with his homer, he lost the first Toronto game but delivered one of the key hits the next night. He's hitting doubles at a Machado-like pace.

He's a raw talent but he's got major league bat speed and power. A 13-0 strikeout-to-walk ratio isn't going to cut it for long in the majors, so I still think he'd benefit from some more time at AAA to work on his approach and pitch recognition. But if he keeps delivering key hits, it's going to be hard to send him down.

Nice post...I have to agree! I am glad to see he is playing loose. And he's slowed on the K's just 3 in his last 20 ABs...after starting with a 1 out of 3 pace.

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pearce thrown to the wolves.

I still think Schoop goes down to protect his clock and work on a few things. But, assuming he doesn't, due to positions played and options, I think Lombo heads down to AAA upon Manny's return. Then, Pearce is DFA's or potentially traded when Almanzar is ready to come back.

He's a raw talent but he's got major league bat speed and power. A 13-0 strikeout-to-walk ratio isn't going to cut it for long in the majors, so I still think he'd benefit from some more time at AAA to work on his approach and pitch recognition. But if he keeps delivering key hits, it's going to be hard to send him down.

I am beginning to think that, although Schoop is going to struggle at times, he's already a better hitter than Flaherty, and that Lombardozzi/Schoop is a better combo than Lombo/Flaherty. I think Flaherty's job may be in jeopardy when Manny returns.

I still think Schoop goes down to protect his clock and work on a few things. But, assuming he doesn't, due to positions played and options, I think Lombo heads down to AAA upon Manny's return. Then, Pearce is DFA's or potentially traded when Almanzar is ready to come back.

nah....I doubt it seriously.

Didn't know Lombo had an option (shoulda figured he did...) but screw Almanzar. Not interested.

e: Make the Sox an offer they can't refuse if DD likes him that much.

I am beginning to think that, although Schoop is going to struggle at times, he's already a better hitter than Flaherty, and that Lombardozzi/Schoop is a better combo than Lombo/Flaherty. I think Flaherty's job may be in jeopardy when Manny returns.

Flash's (minimum) value is that he can play 6 positions decently or better.

Didn't know Lombo had an option (shoulda figured he did...) but screw Almanzar. Not interested.

Yep, he does, or at least that's what reports upon his acquisition said.

That may be, but apparently Buck/DD are interested, and in the scheme of what ends up happening, I think that's a real consideration. If it's a decision between Pearce and Almanzar, given the dearth of infielders in our system, I'm not opposed.

Schoop is the better player, with upside that Flaherty only dreams of. If we intend to win, Schoop stays. His offense outweighs any defensive edge Flaherty has over Schoop.

Yep, he does, or at least that's what reports upon his acquisition said.

That may be, but apparently Buck/DD are interested, and in the scheme of what ends up happening, I think that's a real consideration. If it's a decision between Pearce and Almanzar, given the dearth of infielders in our system, I'm not opposed.

Unless Pearce is hurt he's definately the 1st guy to go.

Schoop is the better player, with upside that Flaherty only dreams of. If we intend to win, Schoop stays. His offense outweighs any defensive edge Flaherty has over Schoop.

The thing is, if he is that much better, with the kind of upside you speak of, then that 7th year of control may be even more important in the long run.

Flash's (minimum) value is that he can play 6 positions decently or better.
Flash is the best back up at SS, 3B and is the best defensive 2B have to keep him at least as the UTIF. I'd say keep all three and DFA Pearce, right now. But a lot can happen in 3 weeks.

Flash is the best back up at SS, 3B and is the best defensive 2B have to keep him at least as the UTIF. I'd say keep all three and DFA Pearce, right now. But a lot can happen in 3 weeks.

Completely agree. Plus... if Buck and DD are leaning the same as us (DFA Pearce) then you know Buck's going to give him some starts to see what he's got. Steve could make the picture even muddier.

The thing is, if he is that much better, with the kind of upside you speak of, then that 7th year of control may be even more important in the long run.

No, in the long run is more important that the team is committed to winning and winning now. 7 years of his control is more important for financial reasons and that's pretty stupid for a team that hasn't won a championship in 30+ years.

Archived