Tommy Hunter Today 2014

Il BuonO

So who closes this afternoon (if we're in that fortunate situation)? I doubt Buck goes back to Hunter after his 1.67 innings / 20 pitches last night, especially since it's a day game after a night game. Here are the pitch counts last night of the prime suspects:

Meek 7

O'Day 4

Britton 3

I assume that Matusz (5 pitches) will be held for LOOGY duty and Stinson (rested) won't be inserted unless it's better than a save situation.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So who closes this afternoon (if we're in that fortunate situation)? I doubt Buck goes back to Hunter after his 1.67 innings / 20 pitches last night, especially since it's a day game after a night game. Here are the pitch counts last night of the prime suspects:

Meek 7

O'Day 4

Britton 3

I assume that Matusz (5 pitches) will be held for LOOGY duty and Stinson (rested) won't be inserted unless it's better than a save situation.

I can only hope that we get to find out.

I don't.

I hope that the Orioles are up by 8 runs entering the final inning.

Meek 7

O'Day 4

Britton 3

I still think he'll go with Hunter. He didn't pitch Friday and won't pitch Monday.

TH may not be shutdown but he's getting it done right now. Seams to me he's working the corners (particualrly away) more and at least trying to stay away from the meatballs. He's increased his usage of the curveball and 2 seamer this year. His curveball scares me because he lays out too many flat ones, but overall they've been fairly consistent and pretty effective for him.

TH may not end up as good as JJ was, but he's a whole lot less aggravating to watch.

Amen to that. It's a good day when you get a save AND a win even if everyone wasn't on board. Not sure I was.

I was thinking back to that story on Buck when the media guys wanted him to have an opinion on the manager who didn't bunt and he wouldn't do it. Buck had his reasons tonight for taking Matusz out. I sure didn't like the walk with a 5-1 lead. That kind of stuff used to drive me nuts when I played. We used to yell in from the field,"Pitch with a lead now." Meaning, let's go. We got you some runs now throw freaking strikes.

Hey, Tommy was the Big Richard in the shower for today.

Amen to that. It's a good day when you get a save AND a win even if everyone wasn't on board. Not sure I was.

I was thinking back to that story on Buck when the media guys wanted him to have an opinion on the manager who didn't bunt and he wouldn't do it. Buck had his reasons tonight for taking Matusz out. I sure didn't like the walk with a 5-1 lead. That kind of stuff used to drive me nuts when I played. We used to yell in from the field,"Pitch with a lead now." Meaning, let's go. We got you some runs now throw freaking strikes.

Hey, Tommy was the Big Richard in the shower for today.

Yeah Matusz hasn't looked very impressive at all.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't grumbled when Hunter came out for the 9th. I didn't see the need when Hunter pitched in both games yesterday and when Britton had such a short inning, and it wouldn't hurt to bring him out and go to Hunter if Britton ran into trouble. I'd be lying if I wasn't grumbling louder when Hunter gave up the double to start the 9th. But...then he got it together, never flinched, and got the last three outs. I'd have to imagine he won't be seen tomorrow if it's a save situation.

Have they lost a game in which he's pitched?
The blowout loss in Detroit, which was already out of hand by the time he pitched.

Yep, even the game when he had a BS we won. Also the only game he's surrendered a HR.

Tommy just keeps getting it done. For all the people who pined about Johnson or that Hunter wouldn't be able to handle being a closer he's settling in nicely. Good use of the cutter tonight and the CB which he was squeezed on a couple times. Not trying to overpower people moving around the hitters sight line just enough to keep them off balance with pitch selection and location.

After the lead off double he was fine. The SO was a beautifully located FB that locked up Kubel.

Another little stat for you. Last year Tommy had a pretty good IS% at 14%, and this year there have been six runners on base when he entered the game. Want to take a guess at how many have scored?

IP 1

H 1

R 0

SO 1

BB 0

2014 ERA lowered to 2.53

SV 8 SVOpp 9

Archived