Schoop over Flaherty?

Bahama O's Fan

Still think it's harsh after he screws up and costs us the game? I now count two games that were lost thanks to his bone headed plays at 3b. Lucky for me I was at the one against Toronto.

It wasn't all Schoop's fault. He was just the one holding the bag at the end after the team gave Boston a million chances to take the game.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It wasn't all Schoop's fault. He was just the one holding the bag at the end after the team gave Boston a million chances to take the game.

He also allowed the tying run to score with a bad throw in the 7th. A slow guy was running and there was a chance to turn two. Instead he made a terrible throw to home that easily could have cost us more runs. Kid just doesn't have the instincts to play 3rd. Thankfully this should be a moot point in a few weeks.

So that is what at least two games Schoop has cost us at 3rd now? God I hope his defense isn't this bad at 2b.

These kinds of comments don't actually have basis of reality.

That throw home was a Buck call. Hard to turn a double play 5-4-3 on a runner who's semi fast.

That throw from Lough, should have been cut off.. But I don't think one INF called for it to be cut off and it's Schoop's job to hold 3rd on a throw like that.

He also allowed the tying run to score with a bad throw in the 7th. A slow guy was running and there was a chance to turn two. Instead he made a terrible throw to home that easily could have cost us more runs. Kid just doesn't have the instincts to play 3rd. Thankfully this should be a moot point in a few weeks.

I said it wasn't all his fault. He definitely deserves a larger portion of the blame than the other players, though. The reason I say he was holding the bag, rather than solely to blame, is that the O's could have easily won in spite of his mistakes by executing basic baseball plays...like scoring in the 9th with a runner on second and nobody out. The fact that they couldn't manage a measly fly ball to the OF with a runner on third and one out is inexcusable, IMO.

No, Flaherty's error allowed Holt and Sizemore to score. Inning is over then. On top of that if out is made, Holt doesn't score tying run.

Napoli isn't the slowest guy in the world. If it was Ortiz you would have a point. Secondly Flaherty just committed an error trying to turn a double. Flaherty would have been slower turning the play. So there is absolutely no guarantee Napoli is out at 1st.

Schoop shouldn't be playing 3rd and I've been saying it from the start. He's a 2nd baseman or SS. I've also if he's put at 3rd he'd commit errors and mental mistakes. But others around here held the position that it's not that hard to learn a position.

Fine. Bring up Adams if you have to but 2 games Schoop has cost us at 3b. Big asset at 2b, terrible at 3b.

Almanazar might start on first day back:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bring up Adams eh? Who are you sending down to make room for him?

The O's need to commit to a few things at this point:

Schoop never playing a game a third for at least foreseeable future. You either put him at 2B or AAA. You make that decision tonight.

The Machado injury is REALLY hurting this team. The Hardy injury is making that Machado injury hurt exponentially.

I'm not convinced Almanzar is the answer at 3rd. But I'd imagine his defense is better than Schoop. The offensive dropoff, although, might make it a wash. Man, this team really needs Machado.

Other than that, what 3B options does this team have in-house that can play solid defense and not look like a chump at the plate? Or what other SS option?

Casilla at SS, Flaherty at 3B, Schoop at 2B? Lombardozzi Utility IF?

Pearce eh. Since he isn't used and complete and utter waste of a roster spot.

Pearce is fine as a DH and a backup OF/1B. But he's not being used at all..mostly because of Young. So he doesn't have any options, right?

Which means you cut Pearce or you send down Schoop. Lombardozzi isn't going anywhere, apparently.

Pearce is fine as a DH and a backup OF/1B. But he's not being used at all..mostly because of Young. So he doesn't have any options, right?

Which means you cut Pearce or you send down Schoop. Lombardozzi isn't going anywhere, apparently.

Pearce on this roster is a joke. We need another IF. Another pitcher would be useful. Heck, having a 3rd catcher carries more value than carrying Pearce right now.

He never plays the poor guy so could he be effective? He is like the alienated child from Goonies.....Babbbbby Ruuuuth!

As much as I want to join the hang Schoop posse, he's a rookie making rookie mistakes- both in the field and at the plate. I do agree that Buck needs to make a decision and play Schoop at second. Didn't Schoop play more games in the minors at ss than at 2b? I thought that was the case, so not sure why/how Flaherty got moved to ss instead of Schoop- that made zero sense to me. But it's April, and we're getting the rookie mistakes out of the way now. Manny will be playing in May and all will be fine. It bothers me more that Britton and Matusz had issues tonight, but I'm just going to write this off as one of those weird early April games. If it happens again next month, I'll join the posse and even bring some rope. :D

I never want to see Schoop at 3B ever again.
That is a bit harsh. Kid hasn't had a chance to learn the position. Few take to it as quickly as Manny.

Corn, I remember when you said to me that you thought that I was being a little hard on our young, talented 3rd basemen when he made the 2 errors in one inning a week and-a-half ago. And upon further reflection, I thought that you were correct.

That resonated with me.

Thanks.

Patrick (Oriole Fan From New York)

Archived