Schoop over Flaherty?

Bahama O's Fan

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Manny will not play shortstop as an injury fill in. If he is ever a Baltimore shortstop, which I doubt, it will be when the job is given to him. My opinion of course. but I bet I am right. Adam Jones would be just as likely. At least he practices there.

You seem pretty sure of this. As of right now I think the signs are pointing to Hardy not being an Oriole next year and Manny taking over at short. I guess we'll see how it plays out.

Lets see I have Brooks at 3B and my SS has back spasms, but my UTIF doesn't have the arm to play SS and my 2B is really a 3B, so I'll just move Brooks to SS and my 2B to 3B rather than keep a UTIF who is not only my #2 defensive SS, but my best defensive 2B, and plays 4 other positions as well. Because my current weak armed UTIF who can really only play 2B, is so much the better bat? Yeah that makes sense.

Don't get it. Schoop has outperformed Flaherty all spring and all April, he's younger and has a much higher ceiling. What's the debate here?

Not only that, Flaherty has been pretty awful at the plate. It's not even close.

Lombardozzi is more versatile on defense, is a better hitter, and is more of a table setter. Why are people so gaga over Flaherty's 16 HR per season power? We don't need power, we need men getting on base and making things happen.

Lombardozzi won't even start, but we are supposed to be concerned about his defense not being quite as good as Flaherty? I'll take 60 or 70 points higher in batting average and a much better OBP over a better defensive player (even though Lombo is above average on defense anyway)...

This team has the best defense in MLB, the drop off in defense from Flaherty to Lombo is MUCH LESS than the drop off at the plate from Lombo to Flaherty.

If JJ gets hurt, why would we not be able to call up Flaherty? If it is short term (no DL), Schoop plays SS and Lombo 2B for a couple days...again, the offensive upgrade far outweighs the defensive downside.

I think Flaherty has some cousins on this board IYAM...

Moose did that once - thankfully he came back (or decided against leaving, I can't remember which). Speaking of Iggy, you could also call it your Stooge list.

That was my sarcasm at work. And I had no idea Moose did that, I was remembering someone else.

Don't get it. Schoop has outperformed Flaherty all spring and all April, he's younger and has a much higher ceiling. What's the debate here?

Not only that, Flaherty has been pretty awful at the plate. It's not even close.

Lombardozzi is more versatile on defense, is a better hitter, and is more of a table setter. Why are people so gaga over Flaherty's 16 HR per season power? We don't need power, we need men getting on base and making things happen.

Lombardozzi won't even start, but we are supposed to be concerned about his defense not being quite as good as Flaherty? I'll take 60 or 70 points higher in batting average and a much better OBP over a better defensive player (even though Lombo is above average on defense anyway)...

This team has the best defense in MLB, the drop off in defense from Flaherty to Lombo is MUCH LESS than the drop off at the plate from Lombo to Flaherty.

If JJ gets hurt, why would we not be able to call up Flaherty? If it is short term (no DL), Schoop plays SS and Lombo 2B for a couple days...again, the offensive upgrade far outweighs the defensive downside.

I think Flaherty has some cousins on this board IYAM...

Lombardozzi is not more versatile on defense, where do you get that idea? His arm is barely strong enough to play 2B, forget SS and 3B. Meanwhile Flaherty plays 6 positions as well or better than he does. Their career splits are virtually identical. Schoop may well prove to be a better hitter than Flash no doubt, but being hot for two weeks isn't enough evidence in my book. Felix Pie was rated higher, had better MiL numbers, and hit for the cycle once. How did that work out?

Lombardozzi is not more versatile on defense, where do you get that idea? His arm is barely strong enough to play 2B, forget SS and 3B. Meanwhile Flaherty plays 6 positions as well or better than he does. Their career splits are virtually identical. Schoop may well prove to be a better hitter than Flash no doubt, but being hot for two weeks isn't enough evidence in my book. Felix Pie was rated higher, had better MiL numbers, and hit for the cycle once. How did that work out?

Fine, I'll concede the defensive versatility, however the weak arm stuff is exaggerated in this forum IMO.

My main question is this:

How old does Schoop need to be before outperforming Flaherty earns him the spot? Flaherty has disappointed every time, and Schoop has impressed every time. They both played in the same lineup against the same talent all spring, and they have both had the same amount of time so far this season. Schoop has buried Flaherty both times, is showing the ability to adjust and growing at the MLB level without needing AAA time...Flaherty has been pretty awful and isn't showing any improvement at all since last year...if not regression.

When it comes to Lombo and Flaherty, which fills the holes we need better? You may think Lombo isn't as good at SS or 3B as RF, but our defense is amazing. We need table setters in our lineup and there is no question he is better than Flaherty at that...significantly better.

People are stuck in RF's potential power like it is some irreplaceable asset, when it has yet to be fulfilled and comes with the price of a Medoza line batting average. You think 20 HRs (yeah right by the way) from Flaherty will make a difference? Not really, we need someone who gets on base for the real power hitters in our lineup...

Why does Buck keep playing Schoop at 3b? He may physically project there but doesn't have experience and he looks just fine at 2b.

Makes no sense to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

His hands were tied tonight. When Hardy got hurt, he needed a SS. Flaherty was the only option there, so Schoop had to go to 3rd. These Hardy injuries are starting to worry me.

His hands were tied tonight. When Hardy got hurt, he needed a SS. Flaherty was the only option there, so Schoop had to go to 3rd. These Hardy injuries are starting to worry me.

Lombo looks that bad at 3b? I doubt it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived