Red Sox to resign Stephen Drew

xian4

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Stephen drew signs back with red. Sox. Believed he's getting pro-rated portion og $14M qualifying fugure, so estimated $10M</p>— Jon Heyman (@JonHeymanCBS) <a href="

">May 20, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

This is a great move by the Red Sox and makes them much better

Drew to SS, plus defense, plus OBP

Boegarts to 3B to replace the injured and ineffective Middlebrooks, huge jump in offense and defense.

Too bad for us that he was still available. They are still in the race, save 4 million dollars and don't lose a draft pick.

The Red Sox are a very well run organization.

Boegarts to 3B to replace the injured and ineffective Middlebrooks, huge jump in offense and defense.

Too bad for us that he was still available. They are still in the race, save 4 million dollars and don't lose a draft pick.

The Red Sox are a very well funded organization.

Fixed that for you. It's nice to be able to throw $10 mm at a problem 45 games into the season on top of the $157 mm they had spent already.

Fixed that for you. It's nice to be able to throw $10 mm at a problem 45 games into the season on top of the $157 mm they had spent already.

It is true that they have a larger budget, it is also true that they have more home grown players on their 25 man roster (than the O's), and a farm system that is ready to kick out several more (Mookie Betts is as good or better than Boegarts).

It is true that they have a larger budget, it is also true that they have more home grown players on their 25 man roster (than the O's), and a farm system that is ready to kick out several more (Mookie Betts is as good or better than Boegarts).

They do have a very good farm system, and I actually agree with you that they are a well-run organization for the most part. But they do have a lot of money available to make it so.

I have to agree with that analysis. Boegarts might be effectively following in Machado's footsteps.

Why don't they lose the pick? Draft hasn't happened yet right?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Why don't they lose the pick? Draft hasn't happened yet right?

They were the team that he played for last year... and they made a QO, therefore they were the only team that can sign him without losing a pick.

Of course it means they won't get a pick from whomever might have signed him... so it's not all good for the Red Sox.

Of course if a team (other than Red Sox) after June 1 the Red Sox would not get a pick either.. so I guess it was an easy decision to sign him because they knew they wouldn't be getting a pick and with Middlebrooks on DL they really needed a middle infielder.

They were the team that he played for last year... and they made a QO, therefore they were the only team that can sign him without losing a pick.

Of course it means they won't get a pick from whomever might have signed him... so it's not all good for the Red Sox.

Of course if a team (other than Red Sox) after June 1 the Red Sox would not get a pick either.. so I guess it was an easy decision to sign him because they knew they wouldn't be getting a pick and with Middlebrooks on DL they really needed a middle infielder.

Right, I wasn't thinking about how they were his team last year. Thanks.

Archived