3rd Round - Brian Gonzalez - LHP (Archbishop McCarthy HS, FL)

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It just be nice to read these threads this time one year and read a general consensus that he was a real good value pick here, that fell, could really contribute, overslot...

It generally consists of "seems like a reach", "not sure what they see here", "the MLB is a big crap shoot anyways"

I know the MLB draft is much more risky and I know we only had a 3rd rounder, but just once, one year, I would love to hear some national accolades we drafted well and got value. Just once.

Not saying we are doing a bad job (Hunter Harvey and Yaz seem like winners and a big step up from previous JJ drafts....)...just saying it would be good to get some reassurances:)

I'm sure this evaluation is based on the hours of tape you've watched and all those times you've scouted him live?

He's so good, that he's like one of ten players through the first 5 rounds of the draft with no scouting information on MLB.com

I see a few guys on the board i still liked at the 3rd and 4th rounds..

Dylan Cease if healthy was a first round pick this season still on the board.

Mac Marshall Lhp out of same high school Josh Hart played for and has a nice set of pitches.

John Curtiss P from Texas had some health issues and had TJ in 2012 so pitched in pen this season but was very good as a closer for the Longhorns.

Isiah Gilliam was a wildcard that i like out of high school and very young at just 17 years of age.

I'm sure this evaluation is based on the hours of tape you've watched and all those times you've scouted him live?

I can't even find him on any of the top 300 lists and he was taken at 90. Maybe I can try and find a top 1000 list to see where the scouts ranked him.

EDIT: BP has him at 386 and listed at a 1B. Solid pick. :rofl:

I see a few guys on the board i still liked at the 3rd and 4th rounds..

Dylan Cease if healthy was a first round pick this season still on the board.

Mac Marshall Lhp out of same high school Josh Hart played for and has a nice set of pitches.

John Curtiss P from Texas had some health issues and had TJ in 2012 so pitched in pen this season but was very good as a closer for the Longhorns.

Isiah Gilliam was a wildcard that i like out of high school and very young at just 17 years of age.

Can you call the Orioles and let them know? They seem to think it is the NBA Draft Lottery:) he he ..I am kidding...

It just be nice to read these threads this time one year and read a general consensus that he was a real good value pick here, that fell, could really contribute, overslot...

It generally consists of "seems like a reach", "not sure what they see here", "the MLB is a big crap shoot anyways"

I know the MLB draft is much more risky and I know we only had a 3rd rounder, but just once, one year, I would love to hear some national accolades we drafted well and got value. Just once.

Not saying we are doing a bad job (Hunter Harvey and Yaz seem like winners and a big step up from previous JJ drafts....)...just saying it would be good to get some reassurances:)

Well i loved the Harvey pick and was praying the entire first round last year he would slid to us after seeing him pitch a few times live in high school.

Caring about the Orioles draft seems to be a pointless endeavor. Even when they are can't misses like Machado, Bundy, and Gausman, we've gotten exactly one good year out of the 3 (Machado in 2013), two season-ending surgeries (Machado and Bundy), and a lot of yo-yo'ing and Major League fail (Gausman).

So yeahhhh....

Show me one other team in baseball that has gotten an all star season out of a player drafted in the last three years. Then tell me if that team has two top 50 pitching prospects still develop ing.

As for this pick. I don't get it.

I can't even find him on any of the top 300 lists and he was taken at 90. Maybe I can try and find a top 1000 list to see where the scouts ranked him.

EDIT: BP has him at 386 and listed at a 1B. Solid pick. :rofl:

And if they sign him for 10K and use that money elsewhere?

Right, and sometimes teams pick guys that have no business going as early as they do and sign them for significantly under slot to free up money for other players.

Full ride to Univ of Miami, or 10k to start pro ball? Pretty much a slam dunk to go to college and try and up your value.

Full ride to Univ of Miami, or 10k to start pro ball? Pretty much a slam dunk to go to college and try and up your value.

10K was of course an exaggeration for a HS kid, they could still go well under slot. BTW college money doesn't count against the cap.

10K was of course an exaggeration for a HS kid, they could still go well under slot. BTW college money doesn't count against the cap.

Oh, promisory money to pay for schooling you mean?

Even if its 300k, I think its too much for this pick.

Archived