3rd Round - Brian Gonzalez - LHP (Archbishop McCarthy HS, FL)

Let's see what happens. Chance Sisco looks like a pretty good pick by Rajsich. He was ranked #151 by Baseball America and the Orioles chose him with the #61 overall selection.

I bet he would go higher than 151 in a redraft.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For comparison's sake, taken five picks before Gonzalez was Cy Sneed, a college junior out of Dallas Baptist. I saw Sneed four or five times last summer, and wasn't incredibly impressed. I didn't think he showed any future plus offerings, I didn't see exceptional command, and I didn't see him hit above 92. I saw decent pitchability, a good frame, and four pitches he was comfortable with, but I had him projected as a rounds 6-10 guy. BA had him at about 182 last I checked. I would not call Sneed a reach in the third round.

Generally agree with your larger post, but Sneed was likely a savings guy for the Brewers in the third round since they weren't sure exactly how much Harrison was going to cost (they ended up getting him for 1.8, which is a lot lower than most expected, so maybe they don't need to save quite as much on Sneed). But in any event, Sneed sort of was a purposeful reach in order to have extra money to play with.

Which is fine, of course, and makes you assessment of him as a mid-single-digit round talent probably spot on.

If they are not going to save some pool money then why pick him in the third round? What are the odds that he wouldn't have been on the board later in the draft?

Dan Duquette said this morning that the Orioles were surprised he was still available when their turn to pick came up inthe 3rd round. So, obviously it was their perception that other teams thought highly of him and that they couldn't risk waiting until later. Whether they were right about that, who knows, but it goes to show that publications like BA don't necessarily have the same perceptions as the teams do.

Dan Duquette said this morning that the Orioles were surprised he was still available when their turn to pick came up inthe 3rd round. So, obviously it was their perception that other teams thought highly of him and that they couldn't risk waiting until later. Whether they were right about that, who knows, but it goes to show that publications like BA don't necessarily have the same perceptions as the teams do.
I didn't hear the beginning, but this is what I heard:

- Thought the A's threw at Manny twice in a row and there's no call for that.

- (In repsonse to a question about Jones' impatience at the plate): Would like Adam Jones to be more disciplined at the plate, and Adam is aware of his issues in this regard and is vulnerable to low pitches, but he does hit over .400 on the first pitch. Jones is very effective when he is hitting to RF as he is right now.

- Very happy to get Brian Gonzalez in the 3rd round, didn't think he'd be there. Reiminds him of Sid Fernandez, throws a good overhand curve.

- High on Connaughton, expects him to play basketball for Notre Dame this winter but he will come fast once he concentrates on baseball.

- Wieters did not feel good throwing in his last session (looks like surgery coming)

- Bundy has a couple more starts in extended spring training and "should be sent out around the end of the month" (this seems a little later than was projected).

Thanks for this tidbit on Gonzalez - but we can't call him "Gonzo" can we? Fernandez was "El Sid" (a takeoff on Spanish hero El Cid - Rodrigo Diaz de Vivar). I guess we need to wait for him to blossom first though....

Let's see what happens. Chance Sisco looks like a pretty good pick by Rajsich. He was ranked #151 by Baseball America and the Orioles chose him with the #61 overall selection.

Correct.

This is Rajsich's 3rd draft, right? Obviously it is still way too early to tell but his first 2 look pretty darn good:

2012 - Gausman / Kline / Marin / C. Walker / Poche

2013 - Harvey / Hart / Sisco / Tarpley / Heim / Seabrooke

Lot of potential in that set so far, and that's just from the top 5 rounds. Some other guys are having decent starts to their minor league career as well.

Gonzalez said his dad Albert did not let him throw a curveball when he was younger. As a result, he is that rare high school kid that has a decent changeup. He also feels he will gain some velocity as he gets into pro ball.

"My dad didn't let me throw a curveball until I was in high school, so been developing my changeup and having a feel for that ever since I was 11 or 12," he said. "He's really the one that showed me you have to have another pitch.

"I believe that I will get leaner and maybe grow one more inch by the time I'm 21, 22. Just becoming a man and working at it. Get a body where hopefully I can throw consistently in the low 90s, touching the mid 90s. That is my goal."

He describes himself as a pitcher, not just a thrower...

MASNSteve

I can't explain why I feel this way, it's not logical, but I see Gonzalez becoming a solid major leaguer. Not for any scientific reason, just that the expectations are so low, he'll probably sneak his way through and wind up being a good player.

Just to show everyone.

Hey, he signed so quickly. It's almost like they knew his demands already or something. But the Orioles suck at drafting. God

What does finding out his demands have to do with how well the Orioles drafted? Every team does that with every player pretty much.

Gonzalez, who opted to forgo an earlier commitment to the University of Miami, went 10-0 in his senior season at Archbishop McCarthy in Fort Lauderdale, Fla. He threw 69 1/3 innings with a 0.50 ERA and 129 strikeouts and was also listed as a first baseman.

"I sat down with my family; we made a decision after the Orioles picked me," Gonzalez said. "It was pretty much a great opportunity, like this doesn't come very often. It was pretty much a night talk, and in the morning I had pretty much made up my mind. I was like, 'I'm going to take this opportunity and go after it.' It's a dream come true. Pretty easy choice."

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20140612&content_id=79467798&notebook_id=79468502&vkey=notebook_bal&c_id=bal

Yea, whatever.

I would have liked to see them sign at least one overslot kid. The idea of paying a "thick" kid with a 90 MPH FB overslot makes me a bit nauseous.

What? You're not a Hobgood hater also are you? Not the person Matt Hobby but the draft selection...;)

He says he'll grow another inch, maybe add another tick, his CH is developed, had good HS numbers, O's scouts are high on him, Manny hugged him, from Ft. Laudy....I like the pick on the surface.

Archived