Zrebiec: Other teams in the mix

JCK

It does seem everything with the Os takes a week too long. But i think this deal will finally get done by tommorow or thursday. Seattle wont just wait and wait, they will just move on.

Move on to what? Bedard is what he wants. A true #1. He was already resigned to the fact that he wasn't getting Santana, no way no how, and after tonight that is moot. Bedard is the only available pitcher who fills the bill. Not the one thing that I take from the article... but the one thing I assume... Bavasi stills wants Bedard. Bad. And he's not going to drop it. I think AM is pushing the limits here... but like a final table poker hand, he is going for broke... and with an understanding that he STILL has the best chance to win. Go AM!

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
one thing is for sure - the M's patience is getting extemely thin - the are already reports out of our camp that people are furious this is taking so long. If this isn't figured out within the next day or so - expect us to walk away from it all. there's only so much crap you can put a team through.

From what I can tell, it is actually the fans, the media and the speculation by both that is what makes up your "camp".

Just like over here it is mostly fans, the media and the speculation by both that is furious and has patience that is running thin.

There have been very, very few actual statements made by anybody, in either organization, that would lead me to believe these feelings are there.

Sure we can assume, and take the words of third and fourth party people at face value but really nobody truly knows how McPhail, Angelos, Bavasi, or Lincoln feel or what they are thinking about this whole ordeal.

Or maybe I'm tired and wrong, who knows.

Im sorry, but sometimes I think the Sun plays us for fools, and thinks we dont pay attention. Or maybe this article is for the average O's fan who knows nothing about whats going on.

No offense to the insiders here, because of course, I'm a "newbie", but this quote could easily be attributed to most of the insiders as well. For the most part, i'd guess that 98% of the information given to us about potential trades this offseason has failed to come true. The Sun paper has been just as, if not more than, reliable as any "insider" who has posted here, including all the Orioles, Mariners, or Cubs "insiders" on this board. Again, I'm not saying the information they recieve is false. And I look forward to hearing it as much as anyone else. But for someone who has posted and gotten this board into a frenzy as often as Peace to claim that a national paper giving us the information they have available has "played us for fools" is a bit hypocritical, considering the information Peace (among others) has given us and how much of it has actually come true.

I'd think that most of us would agree that the Bedard deal has not been destroyed strictly because of Peter Angelos, and that things going on behind the scenes that very few people are privy too are the reason for the holdub. This is my humble opinion that I'm sure will be ripped, if acknowledged at all. But I feel it should be said.

No offense to the insiders here, because of course, I'm a "newbie", but this quote could easily be attributed to most of the insiders as well. For the most part, i'd guess that 98% of the information given to us about potential trades this offseason has failed to come true. The Sun paper has been just as, if not more than, reliable as any "insider" who has posted here, including all the Orioles, Mariners, or Cubs "insiders" on this board. Again, I'm not saying the information they recieve is false. And I look forward to hearing it as much as anyone else. But for someone who has posted and gotten this board into a frenzy as often as Peace to claim that a national paper giving us the information they have available has "played us for fools" is a bit hypocritical, considering the information Peace (among others) has given us and how much of it has actually come true.

I'd think that most of us would agree that the Bedard deal has not been destroyed strictly because of Peter Angelos, and that things going on behind the scenes that very few people are privy too are the reason for the holdub. This is my humble opinion that I'm sure will be ripped, if acknowledged at all. But I feel it should be said.

Not only will you not get ripped, and not only will I acknowledge you, but I agree 100% and you have earned some rep from me!

Edit: Gave out too much yesterday...I'll have to owe ya!

Good grief.

You said it my man. This can only be bad news IMO. I still have to believe they would pull the trigger quickly if they got the right deal. IT seems like we got it from Seattle, and then it looked like something out of a soap opera.

I just want this over to be honest.

Was anyone else bothered with the very end of the article like I was

One of them remains getting the blessing of Orioles owner Peter Angelos, who is dealing with a personal matter for most of the week. However, MacPhail has been in contact with Angelos about potential deals.

"I talked to him today, and I expect that I'll probably talk to him tomorrow as well," MacPhail said.

I never understood this. If Angelos is so meddling and wants to stick his nose in everything why does it always seem like he's out and about when ever the O's are trying to get something done??

And Macphail says he expects to talk to him? How about I will be talking to him. None of these guys don't have cell phones, iphones, beepers, blackberrys or whatever. Getting in contact with Angelos should not be so difficult!

I never understood this. If Angelos is so meddling and wants to stick his nose in everything why does it always seem like he's out and about when ever the O's are trying to get something done??

And Macphail says he expects to talk to him? How about I will be talking to him. None of these guys don't have cell phones, iphones, beepers, blackberrys or whatever. Getting in contact with Angelos should not be so difficult!

Well hopefully he is not talking about trades that will be nixed by PGA, at least this late in the game.

Pete is 80 & had the surgery on his foot ... Doubt he wanted to talk to anyone Monday or Tuesday. It was known that he was going to be out of pocket for a few days in advance.

Pete is 80 & had the surgery on his foot ... Doubt he wanted to talk to anyone Monday or Tuesday. It was known that he was going to be out of pocket for a few days in advance.

This exactly why MacPhail should be running this team and I mean really running this team.

Bailey, Votto, Cueto, & Stubbs :D

That trade far surpasses the Seattle trade but I don't think that Cincy will give up both Bailey and Cueto in a deal. They have plenty of interesting prospects though that the Orioles should go after. Also, with Votto in the deal we might have to throw in Huff and some cash, since Votto is slated to at least be their platoon first baseman this year.

So, how about Cueto, Votto, Maloney, Stubbs, and Frazier for Bedard, Huff, and a little cash? We get two top pitching prospects, a top young first baseman and two medium high end offensive prospects.

You just gotta hope that the rumors that BB has heard and I have heard from various people that PA is looking to sell in the next 5 years are true. A rumor I have heard a few times is that Cal and Geppi have gotten together and are more than likely going to be the successors. Which makes some sense, since neither Cal or Geppi have jumped at other opportunities, Geppi has first right of refusal and PA will be 84 in 5 years. Thankfully by all accounts his sons still want nothing to do with running the O's. Let's hope it stays that way!

That trade far surpasses the Seattle trade but I don't think that Cincy will give up both Bailey and Cueto in a deal. They have plenty of interesting prospects though that the Orioles should go after. Also, with Votto in the deal we might have to throw in Huff and some cash, since Votto is slated to at least be their platoon first baseman this year.

So, how about Cueto, Votto, Maloney, Stubbs, and Frazier for Bedard, Huff, and a little cash? We get two top pitching prospects, a top young first baseman and two medium high end offensive prospects.

The Scouting reports are that high on Maloney... I suggested him early on & was told that. I still like the deal though. I really think today is the day for the move to the M's.

I have absolutely no problem with MacPhail keeping Angelos in the loop. Those quotes at the article imply nothing out of the ordinary. The guy is ultimately the owner of the team - he should be in the loop. Now he shouldn't be overruling AM's judgement on prospects or the quantative value of the trade, but he most certainly should be knowing what's going on. And honestly, we have no evidence to suggest that AM hasn't been able to get in touch with PA as necessary. Unless you've been checking AM's phone logs, I feel that's just fuel to the fire, or past rumors being rehashed.

So Angelos nixing deals - I'll be annoyed. MacPhail keeping Angelos informed of the status - no problem at all.

I'm with those who are confused with what this article is trying to say: it says that new teams are in the mix but then lists all the teams that dropped out. So which is it? It just seems like smoke signals.

IMO, the Reds would be insane in the membrane to trade us Jay Bruce for Erik Bedard, even straight up. Dunn and Griffey won't be around forever.

Archived