Orioles Trade Targets?

Nite

Maybe Neil Walker from Pittsburgh could be available. Aaron Hill in Arizona another. Not a big fan of Hill. Anyone have info or opinion on Walker's availability?

Neil Walker is not available - he is playing for a team that is 2.5 games out and he is the home town boy. No way.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Who are our second base options via trade?

Utley

Murphy

Dozier

Zobrist?

Altuve?

Any of those would certainly be interesting for the right price. Wouldn't give up anything more than Schoop/EdRod and some other smaller pieces though.[/quote

Houston reportedly wouldn't include Altuve in trade talk for Stanton with Miami last winter. No way he is available. Dozier having a breakout season would seem to pretty expensive and I'm not sold on the upside from here on. We've seen reported in the past that the Mets have asked for Bundy in return for Murphy, and even if that is out the window their front office has asked for way too much to complete many deals in the last couple of seasons.

So, that leaves Zobrist and Utley. For the right cost, sure on both from me, but my suspicion is that the price is off by a substantial margin for the Orioles who don't have a strong pool of secondary prospects from with to trade from. Other teams would want a Bundy/Gausman/Harvey included in these deals and that's not happening.

I could see a move like Tim Berry/Ed Rod for Houston Street, or an Ian Kennedy type starter maybe added. I really don't see it happening, but the guy that might fit best for what the Orioles want/want to give up is James Shields. With KC holding their own, the chances of him moving seem rather small and the price too high. I would probably see if Miami is willing to discuss Henderson Alvarez and what the cost might be.

As far as infield goes, I will be very surprised if the Os make a trade for a significant upgrade. They've invested in Schoop and Flaherty to some extent and the cost of adding an impact player seems too much. Plus, there are some infielders available as free agents this offseason and paying for one now with prospects isn't likely an economical use of resources from a G.M.'s perspective.

I know it has been discussed many times before whether the team needs another starter or not, and I personally don't think they need one just to add another starter, but an upgrade at the top of the rotation or future injuries make that a tough hypothetical. I think K.G. could already be the guy to provide that SP help. 2b is the most obvious place to target besides catcher. My best guess we add Darwin Barney when the Cubs waive him or a similar type move. Not expecting anything major.

I agree with this. We are not getting an ace without giving up Bundy, Gausman or Harvey. Similarly, not getting Zobrist or Utley without one of those three. Buck is good with the current platoon catcher situation and there is not much out there anyway. Maybe a bullpen arm, LOOGY, but I think this will come from a DFA situation. I would be very surprised if there is any deal that is even similar to the Feldman or Norris deals in magnitude. I think DD and Buck believe that they have the division in hand with the crew that they have, as well as being able to hold on to their top prospects. They very well could be right.

I agree with this. We are not getting an ace without giving up Bundy, Gausman or Harvey. Similarly, not getting Zobrist or Utley without one of those three. Buck is good with the current platoon catcher situation and there is not much out there anyway. Maybe a bullpen arm, LOOGY, but I think this will come from a DFA situation. I would be very surprised if there is any deal that is even similar to the Feldman or Norris deals in magnitude. I think DD and Buck believe that they have the division in hand with the crew that they have, as well as being able to hold on to their top prospects. They very well could be right.

Perhaps your thinking will change after the Blue Jays trade Aaron Sanchez for David Price. We need a bullpen arm, a starter, and a left-handed hitter (to platoon with Pearce, to play 2B, or for the bench). Without filling one or two of those needs, the O's could find themselves on the wrong side of a Blue Jays surge.

Perhaps your thinking will change after the Blue Jays trade Aaron Sanchez for David Price. We need a bullpen arm, a starter, and a left-handed hitter (to platoon with Pearce, to play 2B, or for the bench). Without filling one or two of those needs, the O's could find themselves on the wrong side of a Blue Jays surge.

Maybe. Let's see if that occurs. Jays are going to give up their number one pitching prospect for a half season rental of Price? OK, good for them. With Buehrle and Dickey aging in a hurry that deal will look bad in a hurry. The starters available and the price that will be extracted for them are not a good match IMHO. Who is this magical LHB with high OBP that can play 2B, come off the bench, platoon with Pearce? Zobrist is the only match I see that could do that and his cost will be steep, imho. The Orioles will be the ones surging with a full half season of Gausman, a second half bounce back by Jiminez, Davis getting hot, and Machado getting hot. We may go for a bullpen arm. We can trade Matusz and try to find a LOOGY or see if Rapada can get his act together or Randy Wolf or Jason Gurka, even.

Maybe. Let's see if that occurs. Jays are going to give up their number one pitching prospect for a half season rental of Price? OK, good for them. With Buehrle and Dickey aging in a hurry that deal will look bad in a hurry. The starters available and the price that will be extracted for them are not a good match IMHO. Who is this magical LHB with high OBP that can play 2B, come off the bench, platoon with Pearce? Zobrist is the only match I see that could do that and his cost will be steep, imho. The Orioles will be the ones surging with a full half season of Gausman, a second half bounce back by Jiminez, Davis getting hot, and Machado getting hot. We may go for a bullpen arm. We can trade Matusz and try to find a LOOGY or see if Rapada can get his act together or Randy Wolf or Jason Gurka, even.

Oops, sorry. Price DOES have a year left at probably 20 million in arbitration. That makes it a better deal, but it might even be steeper than Sanchez then. Mariners may offer a package like Taijuan Walker, Nick Franklin, and DJ Peterson. And would be out of the division.

Oops, sorry. Price DOES have a year left at probably 20 million in arbitration. That makes it a better deal, but it might even be steeper than Sanchez then. Mariners may offer a package like Taijuan Walker, Nick Franklin, and DJ Peterson. And would be out of the division.

SEA has pitching they need bats. My bet would be on LAD, LAA or TOR.

The Giants are considered to be the team most interested in Ben Zobrist, Marc Topkin reports, with the Reds and Mariners among other teams also intrigued by the 33-year-old. Zobrist would help the Giants and Reds at second base while the versatile 33-year-old would fit in Seattle as a shortstop or right fielder since Robinson Cano has the keystone locked up for the M’s.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/07/al-east-notes-price-zobrist-lackey-lester.html

The Giants are considered to be the team most interested in Ben Zobrist, Marc Topkin reports, with the Reds and Mariners among other teams also intrigued by the 33-year-old. Zobrist would help the Giants and Reds at second base while the versatile 33-year-old would fit in Seattle as a shortstop or right fielder since Robinson Cano has the keystone locked up for the M’s.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/07/al-east-notes-price-zobrist-lackey-lester.html

Wouldn't mind him going to the National League. Doubt we'll be willing to part with what it takes.

Just heard Houston Street as a rumor on 105.7. Just passing on the info. I personally want Koji. But def need another BP arm for insurance to Britton.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd rather get Benoit than Street. Just me though.

Just heard Houston Street as a rumor on 105.7. Just passing on the info. I personally want Koji. But def need another BP arm for insurance to Britton.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Imagine the back end of the bullpen: Street, Britton, O'Day, Hunter. Send Matusz back to his hometown along with a prospect.

Certainly, Webb is better than the Tommy Hunter who was closing games. I'm not sure he's any better than last year's Tommy Hunter or the one who's been pitching lately.

Webb has already compiled a higher WAR this season than Hunter did all of last season. He's on pace to be roughly a 1.5 WAR reliever. That's pretty dang good. Don't get me wrong, I think Hunter is good and certainly more like the Hunter saw last season and are seeing now, but even then Webb has been much better.

I kind of see Tommy like 2012 Ayala and Webb like another DOD, set up man reliever.

What about Darvish? His contract is reasonable; I think it's 11 million per year for two years with an option for the 3rd year. Would Texas trade him? What would you give up for him? Would Bundy and Tillman do it? Or would they laugh in our faces? What would you want if you were Texas?

Archived