Orioles Trade Targets?

Nite

Wasn't suggesting it could actually happen for that package. Why wouldn't Dozier be available though? He's having a great season and I don't think the Twins are that close to competing.

He's under team control for 4 more years. He's a building block for the Twins.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Who are our second base options via trade?

Utley

Murphy

Dozier

Zobrist?

Altuve?

Any of those would certainly be interesting for the right price. Wouldn't give up anything more than Schoop/EdRod and some other smaller pieces though.[/quote

Houston reportedly wouldn't include Altuve in trade talk for Stanton with Miami last winter. No way he is available. Dozier having a breakout season would seem to pretty expensive and I'm not sold on the upside from here on. We've seen reported in the past that the Mets have asked for Bundy in return for Murphy, and even if that is out the window their front office has asked for way too much to complete many deals in the last couple of seasons.

So, that leaves Zobrist and Utley. For the right cost, sure on both from me, but my suspicion is that the price is off by a substantial margin for the Orioles who don't have a strong pool of secondary prospects from with to trade from. Other teams would want a Bundy/Gausman/Harvey included in these deals and that's not happening.

I could see a move like Tim Berry/Ed Rod for Houston Street, or an Ian Kennedy type starter maybe added. I really don't see it happening, but the guy that might fit best for what the Orioles want/want to give up is James Shields. With KC holding their own, the chances of him moving seem rather small and the price too high. I would probably see if Miami is willing to discuss Henderson Alvarez and what the cost might be.

As far as infield goes, I will be very surprised if the Os make a trade for a significant upgrade. They've invested in Schoop and Flaherty to some extent and the cost of adding an impact player seems too much. Plus, there are some infielders available as free agents this offseason and paying for one now with prospects isn't likely an economical use of resources from a G.M.'s perspective.

I know it has been discussed many times before whether the team needs another starter or not, and I personally don't think they need one just to add another starter, but an upgrade at the top of the rotation or future injuries make that a tough hypothetical. I think K.G. could already be the guy to provide that SP help. 2b is the most obvious place to target besides catcher. My best guess we add Darwin Barney when the Cubs waive him or a similar type move. Not expecting anything major.

It has zero merit IMO.

Your adding a ton of payroll 20 + million while giving up FOUR potential studs. Even if they are two good players its just to much of a cost. The added payroll would make it hard to keep any upcoming FA and make it hard to have the needed flexibility to add to the team over the next few years.

Just my opinion though.

That's something to think about for sure though...just for the simple fact that Jones would probably try to touch Beltre's head on a daily basis.

I would hope the O's would get some pitching included in that deal as well as salary relief.

...also Cal would be ecstatic.

If Cleveland starts slipping a little would they be interested in trade Kipnis?

Now that's a name I never thought about and would have called you crazy three or four months ago. Cleveland would have to be willing to sell Kipnis a tad low as far as value is concerned because of his struggles right now. With Lindor waiting in the wings Asdrubal Cabrera is not likely to be back in Cleveland so replacing their entire middle infield seems unlikely. I like Kipnis a lot but I don't think you get very far if Bundy isn't included.

Jason Kipnis for Dylan Bundy, ooooh that's a juicy meatball... Kipnis has had a down first half of the season but that's still good enough for a 97 OPS+ and he's a LH bat entering his prime years. And he's signed to a relatively friendly deal through 2019 with a team option for 2020.

And that's the thing that I wonder about. Cleveland has this guy locked up. But as bad as their pitching is... maybe they listen to a Bundy deal. Bundy & Schoop for Kipnis?

I honestly don't know how to feel about kipnis.

He's not having a very good year at all this year, might not be a HUGE upgrade over Schoop defensively and probably will not come cheap at all.

However, there is also the potential he could rebound big time in the second half as well as the fact he can steal bases and is a solid left handed bat.

Just wonder what we can trade for him without giving up bundy or Gausman. Probably not likely, in which case, id rather just focus on tightening up the bullpen. Specifically getting rid of Matusz and getting a better lefty reliever.

Payroll constraints probably keep this from being a realistic option, but as a Rangers fan, I wonder who would say no to a Darvish/Beltre for Machado/Gausman/Bundy/Harvey deal. Stiff price to pay, but it gives the Orioles the ace they've needed, and Beltre's presence in the middle of the lineup and in the clubhouse would go a long way toward closing the gap between the Orioles and the A's/Tigers.

I'd love to get Beltre. We would give you Tim Berry and Mike Yastrzemski. You never get Gausman or Machado in any deal for anyone or any group of your major league players.

Payroll constraints probably keep this from being a realistic option, but as a Rangers fan, I wonder who would say no to a Darvish/Beltre for Machado/Gausman/Bundy/Harvey deal. Stiff price to pay, but it gives the Orioles the ace they've needed, and Beltre's presence in the middle of the lineup and in the clubhouse would go a long way toward closing the gap between the Orioles and the A's/Tigers.

With all due respect to Darvish and Beltre as excellent players, as an Orioles fan I would be very upset about this trade. I'm not opposed to giving up Bundy or Harvey in a trade depending on what we get back, but Machado should be absolutely untouchable and Gausman should be pretty close to untouchable at this point.

Still would love for the O's to get Cliff Lee.

Me too, could be an August trade by the Phillies. I'm sure teams are gonna want to see more than a couple starts before dealing for that contract. Most proven postseason starter potentially available.

I'd love to get Beltre. We would give you Tim Berry and Mike Yastrzemski. You never get Gausman or Machado in any deal for anyone or any group of your major league players.

I agree....teams that are in contention typically don't trade players off their roster.

Archived