Roberts first game back at OPACY - Applaud or Boo?

FlipCup

Roberts first game back at OPACY - Applaud or Boo?

Neither.

Roberts is just another opposing player on a rival team to me right now, and I don't boo opposing players unless their is a specific (and major) reason to do so ...... and I obviously don't cheer for them, either.

I'll cheer him plenty when he gets elected to the Orioles Hall-of-Fame someday.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wouldn't he being "rusty" be a statement in support of my assertion that he rushed back before he was ready?

Would you have liked it better if I said "He should have played another couple weeks in the minors and knocked off some more rust."?

For whatever reason he wasn't ready to contribute at the MLB level when he came back.

Maybe if it was HIS decision to be playing. Last I knew players didn't tell the FO or manager where, when and how often then are going to play. If you wanna blame Buck or the FO for "rushing" him back I'd be more inclined to agree with that. Blaming Roberts when he has no control over if and when he plays is idiotic!

In page 8 of the thread, we finally get a reminder for those of us who don't keep accurate notes of the thousands of Tony posts and OH threads. Thanks. That's all I was looking for. And it's not even something I'd disagree with - the whole culture of the team was like that in Roberts' hey day. I don't think he was meant to be a leader in the clubhouse, and had he some better/higher quality character guys around him during his good years, we probably wouldn't think twice about his character. Unfortunately for him, he was the only good player for a lot of years, was surrounded by bad influences and losing, and then got hurt once the team got some real players.

Pretty good summary. I was not looking to turn this into a BRob bashing thread. Only to point out why some folks would boo him. I personally stated that I would not.

Maybe if it was HIS decision to be playing. Last I knew players didn't tell the FO or manager where, when and how ofter then are going to play. If you wanna blame Buck or the FO for "rushing" him back I'd be more inclined to agree with that. Blaming Roberts when he has no control over if and when he plays is idiotic!

I have no knowledge about any of this.

Neither.

Roberts is just another opposing player on a rival team to me right now, and I don't boo opposing players unless their is a specific (and major) reason to do so ...... and I obviously don't cheer for them, either.

I'll cheer him plenty when he gets elected to the Orioles Hall-of-Fame someday.

Oh, me too. I'll forgive the bad times. I'll forget them. I get forgiven all the time and I appreciate it. I am sure he will too.

I wonder if we could make an entire team out of former/almost Orioles that dominated board time for extended periods of time?

1B: Tex

2B: BRob

SS: ?

3B: Mark Reynolds

C:

OF: Felix Pie

OF: Nolan Reimold

OF: Lew Ford (I hate that guy) :cussing:

SP: Arrieta

SP: Al Simon

SP:

SP:

RP: Kevin Gregg

RP: Grant Balfour

RP: Strop

Help me out, who am I missing?

I'm part of it usually, but it drives me nuts, too. I don't know why he's so divisive. He was a good player, a decent guy, he got hurt, he struggled to get healthy during his contract, it sucked, but hey that's baseball. Why we have to create these dramatic stories, I don't know. It's some combination of Tony Clubhouse Rumors and Mysterious Concussion Injury That We're Ignorant About and Steroids and Ego and Wasted Contract. And it drives people freaking bananas for some reason.

Tony was brought into this by me. He's been around Brian for a long time. He know him. He just says that the fanboys are foolish. Because that is not the guy he knows. No rumors. No clubhouse issues. Brian brought his own rumors upon himself by getting mentioned in the Mitchell report, not coming clean about the true involvements and then asking for us to forgive and forget. . Which we would have. If he had been healthy enough to play well. They have no Jason Giambi plaque in monument park. He was a good player and a nice guy as well. Some Yankee fans even had his jersey.

I wonder if we could make an entire team out of former/almost Orioles that dominated board time for extended periods of time?

C:

SP:

SP:

SP AJ Burnett

OF Vlad

C:

SP:

SP:

I personally like Mark Reynolds, and Felix, and Pedro Strop.

Maybe if it was HIS decision to be playing. Last I knew players didn't tell the FO or manager where, when and how often then are going to play. If you wanna blame Buck or the FO for "rushing" him back I'd be more inclined to agree with that. Blaming Roberts when he has no control over if and when he plays is idiotic!
“He’s not going to put himself in a position to come back unless he knows he can bring that. He knows what the needs of a player is to play at the level in our division, so I have complete trust in him that he’ll know if it’s right.”

http://www.officialbrianroberts.com/2012/05/23/roberts-could-start-rehab-stint-next-week/

I read that as Buck having full trust in Roberts' ability to judge himself ready to play.

Either you applaud him for being a loyal Oriole and a charitable dude (my take) or you do nothing because meh, it's been so long since he's been good, and now he's a Yankee. That's it! Both perfectly reasonable!

Very good. As an Orioles fan, I am sorry he was unable to give us more.

So Adam Jones made me curious with his twitter post...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>I believe that <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Birdland?src=hash">#Birdland</a> will give <a href="https://twitter.com/1brianroberts">@1brianroberts</a> the credit he's due. Man have his all to the <a href="https://twitter.com/Orioles">@Orioles</a>. I know ur the oppo now but respect</p>? 10 (@SimplyAJ10) <a href="

">July 11, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

What would you do if you were at the game tonight?

When I made my post, I had not read the O.P., just the title.

Now that I have read the entire O.P. ........

Adam Jones is THE KING of (paraphrased)

"I'm tired of hearing questions about the Yankees and the Red Sox. I don't play for the Yankees and the Red Sox. I play for THE ORIOLES. So if you are going to ask me questions about baseball, ask me about THE ORIOLES."

If the man who bleeds Orioles orange and black through and through, and makes it clear how tired he is of being asked questions about our more publicity-driven rivals says that Brian Roberts should have his due, well then ...... maybe he should have his due.

Archived