Roberts first game back at OPACY - Applaud or Boo?

FlipCup

Fair enough. I just don't understand what it is that Tony knows about Roberts that none of us do. And why it is that we need to know that Tony knows something when we clearly will not be told what it is that Tony knows.

Tony has been around Brian Roberts and the clubhouse for years. He won't libel him. But he is not a huge fan. I simply tell you why I would trust his opinion on it. Not to tease you to ask about things that Tony obvious does not choose to share. I do tell you that Tony and several other people who post here are not just regular fans like you and I.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tony has been around Brian Roberts and the clubhouse for years. He won't libel him. But he is not a huge fan. I simply tell you why I would trust his opinion on it. Not to tease you to ask about things that Tony obvious does not choose to share. I do tell you that Tony and several other people who post here are not just regular fans like you and I.

I'd buy an eventual book.

(assuming there was an e-version)

While I agree with your premise about not aspiring to be classless like Yanks fans, I'd respond that Yanks fans never really had a reason to hate Cal Ripken. How many memorable hits did Cal have after 1983 that helped us win a pennant over the Yanks? We hate Jeter because he's beaten us a million times and won tons of big ball games for our most despised rival. To NY fans, I imagine Cal was a quaint oddity, a player who "played the game the right way" for a team that was almost never a threat (to the Stinkees or anyone else) after his sophomore year. When we did get a chance to beat 'em and get to the WS in '96, the Yanks came out on top. So why not give Cal his due when he retired? By that time, the Yanks were on top of the world, winning pennant after pennant... It's easy to be civil to the division doormat's best player, right? I wonder: if we were the ones winning 6 pennants in 8 years while the Yanks floundered, would Cal have been treated so well up there?

So glad those days are FINALLY behind us!

During the ceremonies surrounding Cal's record breaking series in 1995, Orioles fans cheered every mention of Lou Gehrig's name. Lou Gehrig being a lifetime New York Yankee who played before Baltimore even had a major league team in the modern era.

When it comes to a sport's truly great players, and especially ones with an overall positive association with the sport such as Gehrig or Ripken, fans are going to cheer that person no matter what uniform he wore. Some players manage to transcend normal rivalries.

What does this meaaaan? That he was psycho? Suicidal? Try telling us exactly what you mean instead of talking sideways. It's really obnoxious, man. Otherwise this is how terrible rumors get started.

No rumor. Brian stated that he was in a very dark, dark place. And wife stated that she was very afraid for him. These are not rumors. These are there statements. I'll shut up since I am being obnoxious.

What does this meaaaan? That he was psycho? Suicidal? Try telling us exactly what you mean instead of talking sideways. It's really obnoxious, man. Otherwise this is how terrible rumors get started.

Roberts himself has talked about a dark period. It is not uncommon with concussion patients.

I suggest you go search up some of his interviews.

It was a rhetorical question, I knew it was your biased opinion.

How dare you accuse me of bias.

It's the numbers.

You don't put up those numbers with his pedigree if you are "ready to play" at the mlb level.

The O's were in a pennant race and my guess is he wanted to help. He came back early and did more harm then good.

During the ceremonies surrounding Cal's record breaking series in 1995, Orioles fans cheered every mention of Lou Gehrig's name. Lou Gehrig being a lifetime New York Yankee who played before Baltimore even had a major league team in the modern era.

When it comes to a sport's truly great players, and especially ones with an overall positive association with the sport such as Gehrig or Ripken, fans are going to cheer that person no matter what uniform he wore. Some players manage to transcend normal rivalries.

Very true. Thanks.

I don't agree with this. Fan have to wonder about what it is that makes Brian Roberts not as great a guy as maybe they thought, but they will not/cannot ever know why. Because Tony won't let others play with his toys. Why? What purpose does that serve? If you can't spill the beans, don't open the can.

I am sure Brian is every bit the lovely individual that you envision. I would never have signed him to that extension, and I think every bit of negative value that he contributed after that is why some folks are not thrilled with the memories of the obviously super talent and wholesome dude that he was for us during our 14 years of losing. Tony did not bring any of this up. I did. I'll take your criticism to heart. By PM.

I've read all of his interviews. The darkness always sounded like "depression", which would be a common symptom. I had never heard about his wife being afraid of him.

Weams, all you have to do is say what you mean. You do this constantly, and it's frustrating. You leave so much to the imagination whenever you post stuff like this.

I don't recall the comments from his wife, maybe I never read them. The picture I got was that of a person who, at the time, needed all the help he could get. It is indeed very similar to stuff I have read from other concussion sufferers and I would, personally, think the term depression to be underselling what was going on.

I've read all of his interviews. The darkness always sounded like "depression", which would be a common symptom. I had never heard about his wife being afraid of him.

Weams, all you have to do is say what you mean. You do this constantly, and it's frustrating. You leave so much to the imagination whenever you post stuff like this.

Regardless, none of this sheds any light on why we shouldn't continue to believe Roberts is a good dude. That, apparently, is for Tony and Tony alone to know. :rolleyes:

Afraid For Him. For. He is a good dude. He's a Yankee.

How dare you accuse me of bias.

It's the numbers.

You don't put up those numbers with his pedigree if you are "ready to play" at the mlb level.

The O's were in a pennant race and my guess is he wanted to help. He came back early and did more harm then good.

Yeah I'm sure him missing the better part of two season had nothing to do with his struggles. Playing MLB baseball and hitting MLB pitching is easy. Players miss a couple months and it takes them weeks/months to knock off the rust and get back to where they were. Let's not even consider the fact Roberts played in a total of 98 games in 2010 and 2011 and had missed all of 2012 before his return. I'm sure he wasn't rusty it was just him being selfish and rushing back.

While I agree with your premise about not aspiring to be classless like Yanks fans, I'd respond that Yanks fans never really had a reason to hate Cal Ripken. How many memorable hits did Cal have after 1983 that helped us win a pennant over the Yanks? We hate Jeter because he's beaten us a million times and won tons of big ball games for our most despised rival. To NY fans, I imagine Cal was a quaint oddity, a player who "played the game the right way" for a team that was almost never a threat (to the Stinkees or anyone else) after his sophomore year. When we did get a chance to beat 'em and get to the WS in '96, the Yanks came out on top. So why not give Cal his due when he retired? By that time, the Yanks were on top of the world, winning pennant after pennant... It's easy to be civil to the division doormat's best player, right? I wonder: if we were the ones winning 6 pennants in 8 years while the Yanks floundered, would Cal have been treated so well up there?

So glad those days are FINALLY behind us!

I hear what you're saying and agree, but I'm one Orioles fan who has nothing but respect for Jeter, so I can't see that side of your argument (though I do understand it). To me, Jeter is a guy who plays the game the right way, isn't a jerk on the field, doesn't appear to be a bad guy off the field, etc. The only reason to hate Jeter is because of all his titles, and really, except for 96, 97, and 12, that didn't effect us anyway. As you said, we were doormats!

Yeah I'm sure him missing the better part of two season had nothing to do with his struggles. Playing MLB baseball and hitting MLB pitching is easy. Players miss a couple months and it takes them weeks/months to knock off the rust and get back to where they were. Let's not even consider the fact Roberts played in a total of 98 games in 2010 and 2011 and had missed all of 2012 before his return. I'm sure he wasn't rusty it was just him being selfish and rushing back.

Wouldn't he being "rusty" be a statement in support of my assertion that he rushed back before he was ready?

Would you have liked it better if I said "He should have played another couple weeks in the minors and knocked off some more rust."?

For whatever reason he wasn't ready to contribute at the MLB level when he came back.

Regardless, none of this sheds any light on why we shouldn't continue to believe Roberts is a good dude. That, apparently, is for Tony and Tony alone to know. :rolleyes:

Tony has stated that he was not a team first type of player. For those who bash Adam Jones, be very grateful for what he gives to each and every one of us. Everything. That's what he gives for the good guys to win.

Archived