Orioles, Cubs, KC Royals worst in majors at developing power hitters

webbrick2010

The Orioles draft pitching first and that has coat them a real chance at most of the good power guys in the 1st round.

I agree. If you look the college game now power and just hitting in general is hard to find. The potential sluggers are going early, like early first rounders. We sucked for years, we could have grabbed some power.

Everybody is drafting arms because some guys throws 96. Well who the hell cares? The draft is full of those guys.

How about taking somebody who puts it over the fence?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I had some of this data embedded in another thread, but I wanted to put the final tally in it's own thread for dissemination to the OH crowd.

I compiled all of the hitters since 1998 that have hit 30 HRs in a season and assigned an organization as responsible fore their development. In most cases that is obvious but in some cases the player bounced around in the minors and I tried to give them to the organization that had them in the high minors as they were breaking into the majors.

Players listed by Team:

Baltimore(1)

S. Finley

Boston(6)

Ellsbury

J. Reddick

M. Vaughn

E. Burks

N. Garciaparo

B. Moss

NYY(6)

Soriano

M. Lowell

J. Posado

H. Matsui

R. Cano

B. Williams

Tampa(3)

A. Huff

J. Hamilton

E. Longaria

Toronto(6)

V. Wells

A. Hill

A. Lind

S. Green

F. McGriff

C. Delgado

Detroit(3)

C. Granderson

P. Nevin

B. Higginson

Kansas City(1)

C. Beltran

Cleveland(9)

B. Giles

J. Bell

J. Thome

A. Belle

G. Sizemore

B. Phillips

M. Ramirez

R. Branyan

R. Sexon

Chicago WS(7)

S. Sosa

F. Thomas

C. Lee

M. Cameron

J. Crede

R. Ventura

M. Ordonez

Minnesota(5)

D. Ortiz

J. Morneau

T. Hunter

M. Cuddyer

J. Kubel

Oakland(7)

M. McGwire

N. Swisher

T. Batista

J. Canseco

E. Chavez

J. Giambi

M. Tejada

LA Angels(9)

T. Glauss

J. Edmonds

G. Anderson

K. Morales

D. Bichette

T. Salmon

M. Trumbo

M. Napoli

M. Trout

Seattle(9)

B. Boone

K. Griffey

A. Rodriguez

T. Martinez

E. Martinez

R. Ibanez

A. Jones

J. Cruz

M. Morse

Houston(6)

M. Ensberg

R. Hidalgo

L. Berkman

B. Abreu

L. Gonzalez

J. Bagwell

Texas(10)

T. Hafner

C. Pena

M. Teixeira

H. Blalock

I. Rodriguez

J. Gonzalez

C. Davis

F. Tatis

I. Kinsler

D. Palmer

Milwaukee(10)

P. Fielder

B. Hall

G. Vaughn

R. Braun

J. Jaha

G. Jenkins

J. Valentine

G. Sheffield

JJ. Hardy

C. Hart

St. Louis(3)

A. Pujols

J. Drew

R. Lankford

Cincinatti(4)

A. Dunn

R. Sanders

E. Encarnacion

J. Bruce

Pittsburgh(5)

J. Bautista

P. Alvarez

A. Ramirez

B. Bonds

A. McCutchen

Chicago Cubs(1)

R. Palmiero

LA Dodgers(7)

A. Beltre

P. Konerko

E. Karros

M. Piazza

H. Rodriguez

R. Mondesi

M. Kemp

San Francisco(2)

R. Aruilla

M. Williams

San Diego(3)

J. Bay

D. Lee

C. Headley

Colorado(2)

T. Helton

M. Holliday

Arizona(5)

C. Quentin

P. Goldschmidt

C. Young

J. Cust

M. Reynolds

So exactly how does Sammy Sosa goto the White Sox? He was signed by Texas!

Phil Nevin was drafted by Houston.

Mike Morse was drafted by Chicago White Sox.

Jeff Kent was drafted by Toronto

Fred McGriff was drafted by the Yankees

So exactly how does Sammy Sosa goto the White Sox? He was signed by Texas!

Phil Nevin was drafted by Houston.

Mike Morse was drafted by Chicago White Sox.

Jeff Kent was drafted by Toronto

Fred McGriff was drafted by the Yankees

I agree I will move Sammy Sosa to Texas, I had given him to White Sox because he had played more games a AAA with White Sox, but really majority games were with Texas

Agree move Phil Nevin to Houston

Agree move Jeff Kent to Toronto

Disagree on Fred McGriff, he only played 80 games in rookie league with Yankees, played around 400 games in A,AA,AAA with Toronto and broke into majors with Toronto so I keep him as a Toronto developed player.

To me Morse was a toss up, drafted and played A to AA with the White Sox, traded to Seattle and finished his minor league career AA, AAA with Seattle and broke into majors with Seattle. I guess I'll move him to Chicago White Sox.

Thanks for the input... I figured there were some mistakes, and wanted it to be accurate.

Nice job moving players around to fit hypotheses!! Really, the tobacco companies could have used you decades ago as well as oil companies when lead was finally removed from gas. Congrats!!

So move the few players that webbrick admits he messed up on to other teams. It doesn't change the argument, at all.

It is a fact that the Orioles have developed a well-below average number of power hitters. Now what you think about that fact, and whether you think it is at all signficant, is subjective. But the premise of the thread here is correct.

So move the few players that webbrick admits he messed up on to other teams. It doesn't change the argument, at all.

It is a fact that the Orioles have developed a well-below average number of power hitters. Now what you think about that fact, and whether you think it is at all signficant, is subjective. But the premise of the thread here is correct.

Did the Orioles draft the power tool at any point?

Not sure what to make of this thread but like what I see with Christian Walker and Chance Cisco. Noticed the Giants were way down on the list but have yet won a couple of World Series of late. I tend to file this thead as insignificant - right next to team leaders in stolen bases:cool:

Good pitching usually trumps good hitching in playoff times.

I thought the data was interesting. One of the things I found interesting is that there is a pretty large standard deviation

another might be how the teams that develop the power are not well correlated to the teams that end up with the power (2012-2014 O's as an example).

another is that power sometimes takes a while to develop and organizations give up on guys that turn out to be big sluggers elsewhere.

It is what it is... and open to interpretation/analysis.

I had no agenda.

Archived