A.J. Burnett

Greg

When I look at Burnett's contract it is really unattractive.

From Cots Contracts:

2 years/$22.5M (2014-15)

signed by Philadelphia as a free agent 2/16/14

$7.5M signing bonus ($1M on 12/15/14, $2.75M on 1/15/15, $3.75M on 6/30/15)

14:$7.5M, 15:$15M mutual option ($1M buyout) or $7.5M player option

buyout paid if Burnett has fewer than 30 starts in 2014 & one side declines

2015 player option increases to $8.5M with 24 GS in 2014, $10M with 27 GS, $11.75M with 30 GS, $12.75M with 32 GS

annual performance bonuses: $0.5M each for 24, 27 GS. $0.75M for 30 GS

limited no-trade protection

So 7.5M of this years salary bonus is paid after this season.

Burnett is on track to pitch between 30-32 starts so next years option is between 11.75M and 12.75M

Plus he get 1.75M in performance if he pitches 30 starts each year.

I can't say for sure but is it looks like it may be that if he pitches 30 starts the buyout/ mutual option is eliminated and it become a player option. (Not clear enough to know)

So it could be 4.25M for the rest of this year and possibly 22M next with the signing bonus, performance bonus and the salary.

This for a guy who who be the O's 5th best starter. He is probably better than Chen and Ubaldo. Especially since Chen often fades in August and Sept.

Also Burnett is not good in the post season. He's 2-3 with a 6.37 ERA in the playoffs. He probably doesn't even start a post season game.

Pass big time.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why wouldn't they In effect they are buying prospects. This scares me. Between DuqXM saying they were looking for a SP and a bullpen arm, Weems signifying and Bowden's drivel, it just may be happening. Not a good idea. I'm sure this deal would not be a Buck friendly one. What a pair of warm fuzzies for his clubhouse.

Exactly. Anybody that thinks the Phillies are in "salary dump" mode is crazy. They are eating prospects in order to remake their farm system. If the other team isn't on board with that, they will just keep the players.

Exactly. Anybody that thinks the Phillies are in "salary dump" mode is crazy. They are eating prospects in order to remake their farm system. If the other team isn't on board with that' date=' they will just keep the players.[/quote']I'm crazy then. I believe they are dumping.

I don't think A.J. Burnett is a major improvement over any of the SIX starting pitchers the Orioles currently have. And I think giving up any real minor league prospects for him would be a mistake. He's almost 38 years old!!!

The only one who has been really shaky is Jimenez, who seems intent on giving us his best Jake Arietta imitation by occasionally teasing us will brilliance, while irritating us with performance that were less than mediocre. But, I thinks Jimenez's history shows that he will get better. If not, put him in the BP and go with Gausman.

I don't think A.J. Burnett is a major improvement over any of the SIX starting pitchers the Orioles currently have.

The only one who has been really shaky is Jimenez, who seems intent on giving us his best Jake Arietta imitation by occasionally teasing us will brilliance, while irritating us with performance that were less than mediocre. But, I thinks Jimenez's history shows that he will get better. If not, put him in the BP and go with Gausman.

Jimenez is also the only one that would take more then 30 minutes to arrange a trade of.

Archived