Jim Johnson released by the A's (Signed by Detroit)

xian4

I don't think money is the issue with Jim. He is going to collect 3M for the rest of the year know matter who pays it.

I think its does he want the comfort of being with the O's who know him or is he willing to go some where else to be in the the majors in August.

The O's can pretty much guarantee him a spot of the 40 man roster and to be with the O's in Baltimore after September 1st. Its his playing time that will depend on how well he pitches.

If money wasn't an issue he would have signed the extension for 3/20.

I think if someone were foolish enough to offer him a few million for the rest of the year he would take it in a heartbeat.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think if someone were foolish enough to offer him a few million for the rest of the year he would take it in a heartbeat.

I think his future in baseball may be more dependent on him finding what was working for him and that doesn't include taking a shot a short term money.

Yep. And if he suddenly gets back on track it might change back real quick come the offseason. ;)

Except his bargaining position isn't what it was. He hasn't been racking up saves. Hey, you're preaching to the choir with me. The BP is the last place I want to spend money. If it were up to me I'd have a different guy every night earning the save. No more 50 save seasons for anyone.

Take that with you come arb time.

#2runsaverule

I don't think Jim gets more money if the new team offers more salary.

example 1 = He doesn't sign with anyone.. A's pay him 3m for the rest of the year.

example 2 - He signs with some team for the minimum which is about 200K. A's pays him 2.8M. Jim still gets 3m

example 3 - Someone offer him 2m for the rest of the year. Oakland pays 1m. Jim gets 3m

The only way Jim makes more money is some team offers him an extension for next year. Then he still get the 3M this year plus what the extension is worth.

That's the way I think it works.

Coming off two 50 win seasons, it is not hard for an agent/player to see that as unvalued. He got 10 million already for one year with no negotiation.

With JJ, there are three questions in my mind-

1.) Are their hard feelings against the O's for sending him to Oakland they way they did and the ensuing horrific season? I think him showing up at Barlow's memorial, and throwing for us the first day he is able shows that he has no hard feelings.

2.) Will Duquette block him being required? Duquette is known for cleaning house of people he thinks Buck loves a little too much for their performance. Teagarden and JJ are examples of this. I think the fact that is much public chatter is going on shows that is not the case.

3.) What is wrong with JJ and can it be fixed? When you see someone like Johnson throwing 96mph and getting destroyed in the biggest ballpark in the league, you have to scratch your head. Even if you are unlucky, with a fastball like that, you don't get regularly bombed. I think like Hunter he may be tipping his pitches..which could be easy to fix.

To be honest, I would like to see a greater commitment if we take on a half season reclamation project. Why spend time getting him right so someone else can pay him next year. Maybe sign him to a two year MLB minimum deal. Send him out for "rehab" all of August, and bring him back in Sept. Then make next year the minimum, or something near with a bunch of performance bonuses.

Keep in mind, there is a chance Hunter, Matusz, and miller are all gone next year.

I think his future in baseball may be more dependent on him finding what was working for him and that doesn't include taking a shot a short term money.

There is no short term money. He earned his 10 million already. If he signs a MLB deal anywhere, it is deducted from his Oakland deal.

I don't think Jim gets more money if the new team offers more salary.

example 1 = He doesn't sign with anyone.. A's pay him 3m for the rest of the year.

example 2 - He signs with some team for the minimum which is about 200K. A's pays him 2.8M. Jim still gets 3m

example 3 - Someone offer him 2m for the rest of the year. Oakland pays 1m. Jim gets 3m

The only way Jim makes more money is some team offers him an extension for next year. Then he still get the 3M this year plus what the extension is worth.

That's the way I think it works.

Yes. This is exactly it.

Is that even true? All he's done is go through arb, then he was traded when that system resulted in him being overpaid vs. production.

It's true if the rumors that the O's offered him a three year deal are true.

For the record I don't blame him. I would take 1/10 over 3/20(ish) if I had faith in my ability.

Archived